Which ‘21 Chebby 1500 Lt 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off I’m getting out of the Super Duty trucks so I’m about to sell my 2016 F-350 King ranch SRW and down sizing to a 1/2 ton! It’s been a long time since I’ve owned a gasser ( other than my wife’s BusUrban). I’m a Ford man but I’m not paying the ridiculous prices they want for them so I’m making myself look at Chebbys ( I am not interested in any other manufacturers at all). So I need the Green Screens help. It looks like there are 4 gasser motors and 8 and 10 speed trannys. I know that the big 6.2 is a hoss but I know that they don’t pass many gas stations either! So please tell me about the other motors and about the Trannys - any problems with any of these items. This will also be a 4x4
    And I’ll be pulling a 16’ utility trailer with a max load of 6k in the hill country
    GO!
    Last edited by Bucknaked; 11-19-2021, 06:27 PM.

My old 17 LTZ 6.2 4x4 would avg 15-17 but on long trips 19-21.

It was the 8 speed. 10 speed is supposed to be better.
    8 speed tranny is the reason I traded it in. Terrible transmission. Think it’s the reason they began putting the 10’s in the trucks as well. I may be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
      My old 17 LTZ 6.2 4x4 would avg 15-17 but on long trips 19-21.

It was the 8 speed. 10 speed is supposed to be better.
      8 speed tranny is the reason I traded it in. Terrible transmission. Think it’s the reason they began putting the 10’s in the trucks as well. I may be wrong though.
      Thanks! Same mileage as my wife’s BusUrban with the smaller 8! I thought I had seen some negative ion that 8 speed! Appreciate it

Comment

Ok so I know you are only interested in Chevys but I bought a 2021 GMC Sierra Texas Edition 4x4 5.3L engine this year and couldn’t be happier. Good mileage on the highway and I can pull my 20 foot trailer and 50 horse tractor with no problem at all. Don’t let those salesmen eat ya.

Comment

Get 10 speed transmission and the bigger Moyer 6.2 ! Just got rid of my last 1/2 ton truck all GMC all had transmission issues. 5.3 was dog !

Comment

I’ve got a 2017 5.3 / 6 speed thats been a great truck and I’ve got about 170k on her. I can usually get 20+ mpg highway but I drive kinda slow. Tow my ranger regularly but that’s about it. Have towed a few boats in the past and hauled a 1979 Chevy k10 from Oklahoma down to Galveston. Never had any issues, but towing mpg isn’t good. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by TA_Fab; 11-19-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              Ok so I know you are only interested in Chevys but I bought a 2021 GMC Sierra Texas Edition 4x4 5.3L engine this year and couldn’t be happier. Good mileage on the highway and I can pull my 20 foot trailer and 50 horse tractor with no problem at all. Don’t let those salesmen eat ya.
              Salesman- lol, they have ulcers after I get through with them

Well, I’m not against GMC either but they are all Gubment motors

Sounds good to me! Thanks

Comment

I have a '20 GMC with a 6.2L. I get the same mileage that I got in my '16 and '18 Chevy's with the smaller V8s, but the 6.2 has a lot more power. I'd probably get even better mileage if I'd keep it out of Sport mode.

Comment

My 2020 6.2 gets better gas mileage than my 2014 5.3 did

Comment

The old 6.0L gassers were the ones that got terrible gas mileage. I had one of those in a 2001 3/4 ton. It got 11mpg whether I was going downhill with a tailwind or pulling a trailer uphill.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
                      Get 10 speed transmission and the bigger Moyer 6.2 ! Just got rid of my last 1/2 ton truck all GMC all had transmission issues. 5.3 was dog !
                      My wife’s ‘16 BusUrban has the 5.3 and it has plenty of power ( I think we got a good one).

I’ll miss the 6.7 Torque and my 8’ bed for sure
                      But it’s just not needed anymore.

I’m leaning toward the 6.2

Comment

I recently got into a ‘21 Silverado company truck and have come to like it much better than expected. The 5.3 will move, and tows great if you aren’t trying to hold 80 mph.

Comment

I just got a 21 with the 3.0 duramax Monday. I’m liking it so far. Mileage is decent around town and short trips. Averaging 23 or so. However, it doesn’t take much of a trailer to kill the mileage. My empty trailer for my side by side with short tailgate knocked it down to 12-13 mpg empty. I traded out of a 19 2500 duramax. The ride is really nice. Smooth and quiet.

Comment

DO NOT OVERLOOK the 3.0 Diesel.

The 6.2 is a beast.

5.3 will handle your request.

I'd go 10spd for sure.

I say this from a highly educated point. Not a feeling. Highly educated meaning, I see these in action daily. See the repairs they need. Etc. PM me if you would like.

Comment

I have a 20 3.0 duramax 4x4 z71 texas edition and I am getting 25-26 going 80 on highway.
                              Pulled my trailer with mule and got 18.
                              Like it so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X