For those that have been their own GC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those that have been their own GC

There has been lots of talk about people being their own GC fm for home/barndo builds. For those that have endured the headaches of being their own GC for their home builds What order did you all do the task? Obviously some things need to be done before others can start. I was curious as to what the order was on completing a house and would you do it again ?

I was GC and Sub [emoji1787]

For a rough idea

We did
    foundation
    Framing/dry in
    Once they had sheeting up I was working on electric and insulation,
    Sheet rock
    Floors
    Plumbing (pier and beam, I went through the floor)
    Finish work painting ETc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like above, I was GC and a sub for some stuff. Here’s the order I took, roughly…

Dirt work
      Concrete
      Barndo framed out
      Lumber inside framed out
      Trades rough in done
      Spray foam
      Sheet rock, tape, bed and textur
      Trades finish out
      Paint
      Floors
      Final details

I would 100% do it again but dang it was stressful!!

Comment

Thanks. Makes sense just trying to see if it’s a battle I want to tackle. We own the land in the country so permits are not really needed

Comment

I did it. I did some work and subbed some out. Id do it again. Only one hang up we had was bathtub placement and size . Lets just say i lost the battle with mama and busted concrete to reroute drain.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Be careful. That's how I became a homebuilder.

Comment

Did it myself. Worth it! But have a flexible job, know good contractors, and roll with the punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                Did it myself. Worth it! But have a flexible job, know good contractors, and roll with the punches.

This. We didn’t technically GC it ourselves but we used one of the owner-builder consultant places.

You better have a lot of time to dedicate to it, know good contractors and know about construction.

I would do it again but it was a whoopin’ and I’m a commercial construction project manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am considering doing this, but at 65 I am not sure I want to go throught the stress/headaches.Also, wife doesn't think I know enough folks in the building trades...she's correct on that.

Comment

It can be done. If you are asking what order it needs to be done in I worry for you. I don't mean that to be condescending just realistic. I would also make sure you have really good reccomendations on subs. Also need to order all materials before you really start. Items like windows, doors, appliances and other items are taking longer and longer to get. My neighbor is doing it right now and it has been a nightmare to watch. Good luck if you go that route. You can save some money sometimes but you never save as much as you think.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                      There has been lots of talk about people being their own GC fm for home/barndo builds. For those that have endured the headaches of being their own GC for their home builds What order did you all do the task? Obviously some things need to be done before others can start. I was curious as to what the order was on completing a house and would you do it again ?

If you have to ask, you don’t need to do it.

I work with home builders every day, and many of them shouldn’t be doing it.

Comment

I did it and I'm sure it took a few years off my life with all the stress and headaches! I've talked to people who said they loved it but I would never do it again.

Comment

29 yrs. ago I kinda did mine. Had it dried in by a home builder and he gave me pointers on "what to do next". Ya gotta look into the nooks & crannys & see what belongs there. Visualize what goes where and what will get in the way of some other part of the build and figure out which to put in first. Took us over a year after shell was built for us to get moved in

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            If you have to ask, you don’t need to do it.

I work with home builders every day, and many of them shouldn’t be doing it.

This was my first thought. If you have to ask the order of construction activities you are really putting yourself at risk. Subs will pick up on the lack of knowledge and take shortcuts. Screw up one thing and you’ll burn through any savings you may have had.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post

I had a buddy of mine hire a retired superintendent and payed a flat fee. He ran the job and communicated with my buddy. The super was a hard nosed guy who actually ran the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X