Age your kids started hunting alone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age your kids started hunting alone???

I will start off saying I know each kid is different and some mature faster than others bla bla bla. My question is when did your kids start sitting by themselves in a deer stand hunting with a rifle?

My son is 12, he has his hunters education, he has been hunting with me since he was in diapers, started shooting deer and pigs at 7, has now taken many animals, and even skins his own animals at camp. I mentioned to him once he was comfortable sitting by himself he could. Well he is all over it. I told him we need to sit together a few more times and I would just observe. He needs to do everything on his own from getting settled in the stand, getting the heater going, loading his rifle, etc. Now when the time comes I let him sit alone I will take him to his stand and make sure he is settled before leaving and he will be told to stay in the stand until I return. We have cell signal and he has a phone so we can communicate and we are not in an area with illegals. So I think by mid season he will be flapping his wings in the hunting scene.

So like I said I am just curious at what age your kids started hunting by themselves.

Way overthinking it imo.
    I was put on stands at half that age, with no heater lol.

Comment

I think I was 12, but I was a city kid, sadly.

Comment

Got in trouble for going out to the lease by myself with my bow when I was 16, came back with a turkey though.

My son is 12 and pretty experienced but probably not ready to sit alone. He would likely just be playing madden on his phone or sleeping anyway.

Comment

I sat a few years with my stepfather. When I was 11, I was allowed to sit in the stand alone. No weapon. The next year I hunted by myself with my 30-30. That was in 1975.

Comment

I think 9 years old

Comment

I was 8 or 9. I think you are way over thinking it personally, but it’s your call so think away. I’m sure you have taught him well and he will be fine

Comment

12ish here

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  Way overthinking it imo.
                  I was put on stands at half that age, with no heater lol.
                  Wow, so you were sitting alone with a deer rifle at 6? Dipping Copenhagen I guess too?

Comment

I didn’t put my sons in a tripod with a bow until they were 14. Before that it was
                    the two of us in a ground blind

Comment

12 here

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        I was 8 or 9. I think you are way over thinking it personally, but it’s your call so think away. I’m sure you have taught him well and he will be fine
                        Probably so the wife is freekin out over the thought so what I typed is pretty much the speech I gave her. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                          Wow, so you were sitting alone with a deer rifle at 6? Dipping Copenhagen I guess too?
                          I have a cousin who at 5 years old convinced her dad that if she sat in a different stand than him she could tell him what was going to that feeder.

No gun but she "hunted" alone at 5! But this was about 30 or so years ago lol

Comment

9-10 for my boys. I started when I was about 6 and could carry the .22. That being said, I was too young

Comment

We were 10, but we lived by the if it’s brown it’s down. So it was easy. I shot my first deer at 6, by 10 I had 8-10 animals under my belt.

Comment

Working...
                              X