Model 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model 7

Does anyone shoot a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08? I bought this rifle after the ammo crunch and do not want to spend a bunch of money to find the perfect load. I’m shooting Hornady White tail 139 grain and shooting a very sad 4 inch group off a bench. What have you had luck with?

I have two both like ballistic tips and hornady american whitetail

Comment

Try Federal Fusion if you can find it. I’ve had great luck with it in several rifles. Good bullet construction too.

Comment

Groups that big I would start running through everything top to bottom. Action screws scope bases rings etc.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Once everything is tight would try it again with that ammo and see what it does. If that doesn't do it then your scope may be bad.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would do a proper cleaning to start off with! Invest in a solid 1-piece cleaning rod , bore guide , jags and a good quality cleaner!

Comment

check the barrel for free float, and bed action, trigger poundage ect

Comment

Along with everything listed above, consider lightening your trigger pull. If it’s factory set, it’s probably heavy.

Comment

Tagging.

Comment

I shoot a .308 model 7. I started out with 150gr an it was horrible. I shot about 5 different brands. All sucked. I tried the 180gr corelok and the groups tightened up significantly, but kicked like a **** mule. A buddy of mine told me that his .308 loves 168gr. So I tried a box. It was the ticket! Still only getting 1” to 1.5” groups at 100yrds.

I actually called Remington about it. They were very honest, saying that the gun was designed to be a short, lightweight, short range firearm. The profile on the barrel is very thin, the barrel is 16”, the stock is lightweight. The gun was designed to be a lightweight, easy to maneuver package. It was not designed to shoot sub MOA at 300-400yards.

Lol I actually respected them when they told me, “if you want to shoot sub MOA I have a 700 I can send you, but that’s not what the 7 was designed for”

Go up in grain weight and see how it does. Don’t give up on the gun, find what it likes.

It’s a sweet little package and I love mine in the National forest packing in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks for the help. I gave it a good scrubbing and shot it this morning. It now shoots around an inch group at a hundred yards with the same ammo. I let it cool down after every shot. I’m not sure what helped it, but it will hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by KGreene View Post
                        Thanks for the help. I gave it a good scrubbing and shot it this morning. It now shoots around an inch group at a hundred yards with the same ammo. I let it cool down after every shot. I’m not sure what helped it, but it will hunt.
                        If the rifle is preowned I use a de fouling agent to scrub it out
                        If off the shelf, I shoot 10 rounds then clean , repeating that process, a 1MOA is ok , but IMO a mod 7 could make 3/4 - 1/2

Comment

The model 7 have really thin barrels and most I've shot will spray groups when heated up. I shot 2 shot groups and let it cool. Also read where the 7 is not free floated, but bedded with upward pressure on the barrel at the end of the stock, so I'd be careful messing with the stock bedding.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

I have shot a M 7 7mm- 08 for the last 25 years. The only factory ammo that would print a decent group was Remington Corelokt. This year I started loading for it and found a Sierra boat tail soft point 140gr, loaded as long as the mag would let me would shoot a little over 1/2 " groups at 100. I'm still testing and trying out other combinations but am pretty happy with this load.

Comment

Originally posted by KGreene View Post
                              Cleaning and removing copper fouling probably helped a lot. That and finally getting the round count up. Keep shooting and cleaning. Some barrels need a couple of hundred rounds to make them come around. You might want to scrub the bore with some J&B paste but don't over do it. J&B is abrasive enough to remove copper and help the lapping process. Again, don't over do it with the J&B paste.

I have also used Semi Chrome in barrels to help with copper removal. Again, not too much or too often. Just until the groups tighten up.

On a higher end gun with cut rifling I would never use J&B or any other abrasive cleaner.

Shoot different bullet weights and styles to find what it likes best. Some guns just don't shoot well with boat tail bullets so run some flat based as well as BT's.

Comment

Working...
                              X