Need computer help: laptop to monitor HDMI cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need computer help: laptop to monitor HDMI cable

My lenovo thinkpad has an HDMI port and older Dell monitor has a display port. See pic below for how the ports look.

But every cable I can find says "Uni-directional from display port to HDMI". That won't work since I need HDMI to display port.

Am I missing something?

I bought a cable like the one in the pic and the laptop won't recognize the monitor. Went through monitor settings to select right port and went through laptop "detect monitor" settings. Nothing.

Maybe my google-fu needs some tweaking.

Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-25 153754.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	25247428

We gotz threads like this going on and you come on here looking for computer technology advice? 😂😂😂

Comment

I think a henway adapter is what you might need.

Comment

I think what you might need is this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	24649754

J

Comment

Or maybe this one?

Comment

HDMI is a clock-less format and DP is not. DP needs to see the clock on the video input or it won't work and your HDMI output is not sending that. You could get a Cable Matters HDMI to DP adapter and then get a DP to DP cable and that should work.

Comment

I think I'll just go ahead and buy a new external monitor that has HDMI

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                This is probably your best bet although an HDMI to DP adapter "should" also work. New monitors are fairly inexpensive.

Comment

Mine gives me fits sometimes as well. if I close the laptop sometimes the 2nd display screen will work. you might have to change settings to stretch display.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

If it would work for you, just go buy a small tv to use as your monitor. Likely cheaper and youve got a tv in case you ever need it. Thats what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate it

Comment

This is what I have for my Lenovo laptop https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP.../dp/B081S2DV6Z

Comment

Working...
                        X