No announcement yet.

Fallow, shoot or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a low fence and likely one off, I’d shoot him.

If I was paying to hunt, I’d pass him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A freezer doesn’t care about age or what’s on its head.

Comment

That’s a shooter, good luck!

Comment

If you have to ask and can't make a decision, let him walk.

Comment

You can’t age them the same as whitetail. So y’all saying if I have to ask then let him walk, it’s not that simple. Trust me. I pass a lot of deer other people would shoot to see them get bigger and older as time goes by. Passing on young deer is no biggy. But passing on a mature fallow, on a low fence, that doesn’t normally pop up on my cameras would be stupid. But only if he is mature. Since I don’t feed protein, like most high fences do, how much bigger will he get? In theory? Will he be fatter earlier in the rut next year? Do I take the chance of not seeing him?

I was seeking the knowledge of those people on this forum that know enough about fallow to give an opinion on wether this buck is mature. If fallow live until they’re 10 and this guy looks 4 I’m going to let him walk. If they live more like 6-7 then I might take him.

This is like trying to age a warmblood, from pictures, when you’ve ridden nothing but cutting horses your whole life. Lol and all of this is only if he sticks around and presents a shot.

Comment

His slight build makes him look young. But those hip bones sticking out make me wonder if he's post mature. Seeing him in person might give you a better idea when you get to watch him move around and everything. Tough call, even if he is just 4 though. I'd probably shoot him.

Comment

Make a great bow kill .

Comment

Shane I think you’re right. It’s a toss up and I hope maybe seeing him in person might make the decision easier.

Comment

Free range; I’d bust his azz first chance I got. He’s good enough to mount any day!

Bisch

Comment

Send it

Comment

I am no help to your original question

I would shoot him but that is just me.

I think if he walks out and you get excited then drop the string on him. If you hesitate then let him walk and hope he makes it another year.
                        That is how I would go at it

Comment

Well so far he has decided to elude me again lol. Figures.

I’ll hunt maybe one or two more times if I’m lucky but if I don’t get a chance this year, maybe I’ll see him more often in the off season! Get a better handle on chasing him next year!

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                            Well so far he has decided to elude me again lol. Figures.

I’ll hunt maybe one or two more times if I’m lucky but if I don’t get a chance this year, maybe I’ll see him more often in the off season! Get a better handle on chasing him next year!

You can hunt him and all exotics all year round...unless your property doesn't allow you to be there outside of deer season.. Good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              You can hunt him all year round...unless your property doesn't allow you to be there outside of deer season.. Good luck to you

They don’t shed their antlers?

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                                They don’t shed their antlers?

Let me rephrase that....as long as he has his antlers.

I'm not sure of the exact fallow antler cycle as far as a timing deal but I know axis don't generally follow a whitetails cycle. I was relating it to axis in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X