Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satellite for RV

My RV satellite has crapped out.

Question do I have to have Direct TV or Dish to use a satellite dish?

I camp in areas that a regular antenna will not work.

Can I cancel Direct TV and buy a dish that will pick up channels that a normal antenna will?

Thanks

What do mean “crapped out”? Satellite TV and over the air TV are totally different things. If you have home satellite television it’s pretty easy to take on the road with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have Dash at home and a satellite at the deer lease with dish and their receiver and it costs me 10 a month for the same channels I have at the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        I have Dash at home and a satellite at the deer lease with dish and their receiver and it costs me 10 a month for the same channels I have at the house.
        ^^^^this

Comment

This^^^ right here. To easy and cheap, I’ve got the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            What do mean “crapped out”? Satellite TV and over the air TV are totally different things. If you have home satellite television it’s pretty easy to take on the road with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            My Direct TV portable automatic satellite will no longer find and lock onto a signal. It just searches. It’s about 16 yrs old

Comment

Do you have a bare bones Dish plan that only gets the basic local channels at home?

Currently I have Direct TV. 2 receivers at the house. One in my RV. One at the lease.

The main reason I have Direct TV is because we camp in Colorado for a month or two where an antenna will not get reception.

Since my automatic satellite has broken I’m trying to see if there is a cheaper route per month and a replacement satellite is around $500.

What is Dash? I did a search without luck.

Thanks

Comment

I dont want to hijack the op's thread

Question, I did this at the lease for 11 years with our old dish equipment.

We then moved our home to a new city and had to have our new house set up for dish. The tech came out and looked at our equipment and said it was ancient and needed replacing.

He called hq and upgraded us to a hopper and joey system. He told me I could not do what I was doing with the old reciever at the lease with the new hopper and joey system we were getting.

Question ? Is this true about a hopper and joey system?

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                  Do you have a bare bones Dish plan that only gets the basic local channels at home?

Currently I have Direct TV. 2 receivers at the house. One in my RV. One at the lease.

The main reason I have Direct TV is because we camp in Colorado for a month or two where an antenna will not get reception.

Since my automatic satellite has broken I’m trying to see if there is a cheaper route per month and a replacement satellite is around $500.

What is Dash? I did a search without luck.

Thanks
                  I'm pretty sure he meant Dish.
                  You probably just need to find a used satellite dish to replace yours that broke. Is it that the auto find is out on your current RV dish? Can you manually turn it?

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                    I'm pretty sure he meant Dish.
                    You probably just need to find a used satellite dish to replace yours that broke. Is it that the auto find is out on your current RV dish? Can you manually turn it?
                    I have a Tail Gater type systems.

You pull up, plug it in and it finds the satellite automatically. Saves a lot of time and headache. It no longer finds the satellite.

The only reason I have Direct TV is because we can take this system with us and get signal where a normal antenna will not pick up.

I keep hearing about Hulu, Fire Sticks etc and was hoping in the last 16 yrs that technology had changed.

I guess not. I’ll pay the $500 for a new system and Direct TV fee of $111.00 a month.

Comment

If you have dish network, you can access dish anywhere thru your smart phone if you have service. you can buy a chord that will connect to you tv thru the hdmi connection

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                        I dont want to hijack the op's thread

Question, I did this at the lease for 11 years with our old dish equipment.

We then moved our home to a new city and had to have our new house set up for dish. The tech came out and looked at our equipment and said it was ancient and needed replacing.

He called hq and upgraded us to a hopper and joey system. He told me I could not do what I was doing with the old reciever at the lease with the new hopper and joey system we were getting.

Question ? Is this true about a hopper and joey system?
                        When I first started having issues with my system I contacted Direct TV and the lady on the phone LIED to me. She said that my system was out dated, it is. She said that Direct TV would stop sending a signal to it at the end of the month and I had to have a new system installed. That was a lie.

The tech showed up and I explained what I was doing. The new system, Direct TV calls it Genie, is a master slave set up.

Your main box sends a signal to all the other boxes in the house. So you can’t move one of the slave boxes to the lease as it does not have a master box to send the signal.

The Tech told me she lied about Direct TV stopping the signal to the old box. She gets a bonus by signing up people to get a new system.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                          If you have dish network, you can access dish anywhere thru your smart phone if you have service. you can buy a chord that will connect to you tv thru the hdmi connection
                          Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don’t get phone service in the canyon where I camp.

Comment

I am in for this to.

Comment

Dish makes this easy. We have Dish at home and have Dish Wally receivers both at camp connected to a fixed dish and in the Motorhome that either connects to a Winegaurd automatic in motion dish or to a Tailgater of trees block the Winegaurd. I think we pay $7 per month for each receiver.

Comment

Working...
                              X