Archery technique issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archery technique issues?

Strange asking a coupla of archery shooting technique questions here on this bow hunting site I know!

Other than getting old, can't see very good and having the yips. Dont practice enough. What are my fixes for my problems?

1. When I lock on to the small spot I am shooting at. If I get below the target I am aiming at I cant seem to get back up to the target. Its like I am stuck?

2. I flinch or drop or jerk my hand I am holding my bow with downward?

Thanks

It’s a form of target panic. There are several fixes, but it usually requires lots of time. Read this. It has some tips in it.

Comment

Contact aj the tp guru on here

It’s target panic... and it sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
        Strange asking a coupla of archery shooting technique questions here on this bow hunting site I know!

Other than getting old, can't see very good and having the yips. Dont practice enough. What are my fixes for my problems?

1. When I lock on to the small spot I am shooting at. If I get below the target I am aiming at I cant seem to get back up to the target. Its like I am stuck?

2. I flinch or drop or jerk my hand I am holding my bow with downward?

Thanks
        Start practicing, preferably on a large spot, try to be less precise for a while. Might sound counterproductive being less precise, but what you need to be working on is form and follow through. Once you get that worked out, then start aiming at smaller and smaller dots.

You are locking up because you don't have confidence, you don't confidence because you don't practice. Since you don't practice you have bad form/follow through. You can't expect to make great shots without practice, form, and follow through and you know that, so yips

That is it in a nutshell

Comment

Shot IQ

YouTube has some videos of Joel Tuner's controlled process shooting or Shot IQ clinics. He has the remedy for target panic. He also offers an online class on his website that's kinda pricey but from what I'm seeing and hearing, it's well worth it. Getting ready to start the online class with my son to fix his issues with target panic before they have a chance to take over his shooting.

Comment

I’m telling y’all get with aj the tp guru. Went from so bad I was ready to quit to best I’ve ever shot and it keeps getting better

Took about 15-20 minutes
            Last edited by Low Fence; 02-11-2020, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              I’m telling y’all get with aj the to guru. Went from so bad I was ready to quit to beat I’ve ever shot and it keeps getting better

Took about 15-20 minutes
              Undoubtedly , this is your answer.
              Paging AJ!!

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                Undoubtedly , this is your answer.

Paging AJ!!

His recordings didn’t work for me but as Joel Turner says, there is no system that will work for you. You have to take control of your shot process and decide to never shoot an imperfect shot again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In ! Who is the guru?

Comment

Target panic. Pretty classic case of it. Joel Turner is the man to help you beat this in my opinion. He shoots both compounds and traditional bows, and can help both styles.
                    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBMJuWipekM"]This Archery Class Will Change Your Shooting Game Forever! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by sandhillhunter View Post
                      His recordings didn’t work for me but as Joel Turner says, there is no system that will work for you. You have to take control of your shot process and decide to never shoot an imperfect shot again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Im sure it won’t work for a percentage of people.

I had it so bad that it took 2 days of blind baling to let down without shooting. I could not NOT SHOOT! 3 ‘ over complete target at 20 yards and I could hold up an entire football team on my left arm. You couldn’t break my arm off and lower the pin. Locked up.... and would shoot!

More I practice the worst it got. And I never quit. I shot ALL THE TIME. I believe I developed it in the quest for perfection beyond my sight. I wanted to shoot nails and extreme distances. It triggered something in my brain to go hay wire.

After the “messages” I walked outside and burned a hole in the dot and held it until it just went off. Since that day several years ago I won’t shoot 2 field points at same dot inside 30 or broadheads inside 40. I can aim again!

I could change any component and immediately shoot lights out... for about 3-4 days then it would come back fast and be just as bad. Back tension releases, sights.. bows. Anything that tricked my brain that this wasn’t the same thing I’d been doing worked... until my brain figured it out. I eventually learned to tear off a shot with a back tension just as bad as a trigger.

I’m thankful for what AJ’s product did for me, nothing else lasted long. This has been years
                      Last edited by Low Fence; 02-11-2020, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Being in a mental funk stinks and knowing I don't shoot near enough doesn't help. I like the idea above of not aiming so small. Basically "trying to hard" I would say.

Shooting is just not high on my list of things to do like it was 7-8 years ago when I first started bow hunting. I gun hunted more this year because my shooting was bad and I didn't want to mess up a shot on a deer. I really missed bow hunting and not being up close to all the critters.

I'll look at the videos and try and get a hold of AJ too.

Thank again

Comment

When they asked Byron Ferguson how he shot asprin, he said he aimed at the middle. The middle of an aspirin is the exact same size as the middle of a beach ball. Your eye will naturally go to the center of a circle: peep, sight houseing... dot

Comment

In my opinion you need to shoot without aiming, I.e. blind bailing and aim without shooting. Draw and aim at the target and hold as long as you can. When the aiming breaks down, let down. It will get your mind used to the pin float, and the process of executing a perfect shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                              Thanks for the info guys.

Being in a mental funk stinks and knowing I don't shoot near enough doesn't help. I like the idea above of not aiming so small. Basically "trying to hard" I would say.

Shooting is just not high on my list of things to do like it was 7-8 years ago when I first started bow hunting. I gun hunted more this year because my shooting was bad and I didn't want to mess up a shot on a deer. I really missed bow hunting and not being up close to all the critters.

I'll look at the videos and try and get a hold of AJ too.

Thank again
                              One other thing, if you do try what i was saying, learning follow through is big. When you loose the arrow, not only does your bow need to stay up but you should see the arrow going through the air and landing behind the pin, regardless of where the pin is on the target. And don't move the bow to see the arrow, you should see it through your sight housing if you are doing it right. Hopefully that is making sense.
                              Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                              X