Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
DKirk
Ten Point

Default Youth duck gun suggestions

Looking for suggestions on a duck gun for my son. Right now hes using the youth 870 but wanting something all weather since well mainly be hunting marsh. Been looking at the benelli nova and some lower end auto loaders like the ATA, Tristar as well as the compact Winchester.
DKirk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I have a camo Yildiz A71 12ga I'd sell, if you're interested. Gas operated and I put a Limbsaver butt pad on it, so recoil is hardly noticeable even with 3" shells. It's not a youth model gun. If your son is still pretty young and small then it wouldn't fit. But if he's over 5' tall, I bet it would work just fine.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
SharpStix
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Bought my 10 yo daughter the ATA semi auto from Academy for Christmas. It shoots well enough. They were running it on sale when I got it and felt it was priced well but wouldn't have done it at their regular price.
SharpStix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

Weatherby SA-08 was a great shotgun for my son when he started hunting with me. It will not break the bank and is very reliable.
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
knash
Nubbin' Buck

Depending on your son's size and age, might recommend a youth sized (~21" barrel) autoloader. My son used one for several years. The lightweight pumps tend to face smack pretty hard, and contribute to flinching. His was a rem model 1100 in black plastic. Indestructible and smooth shooting, if you can still find one or similar.
knash is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

Remington 11-87 compact. When he out grows it, change out the furniture and it will last him a lifetime.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post
Weatherby SA-08 was a great shotgun for my son when he started hunting with me. It will not break the bank and is very reliable.
Sa-08 youth is where its at.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #8
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I have a camo Yildiz A71 12ga I'd sell, if you're interested. Gas operated and I put a Limbsaver butt pad on it, so recoil is hardly noticeable even with 3" shells. It's not a youth model gun. If your son is still pretty young and small then it wouldn't fit. But if he's over 5' tall, I bet it would work just fine.
I appreciate it but hes 11 and on the small side so having to go youth route till he hits a growth spurt. If he could handle a full size Id give him my a400 and Id be the one in the market for a new one lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpStix View Post
Bought my 10 yo daughter the ATA semi auto from Academy for Christmas. It shoots well enough. They were running it on sale when I got it and felt it was priced well but wouldn't have done it at their regular price.
Ok thats what I was thinking I passed up on it when they were doing buy one get one for $100. Might Should off done it, then Id have a loaner.

Ill have to check out the Winchester and Remingtons, I have twin girls right behind him so whatever I pick should get some good use.
DKirk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

That Remington will run you about $600,the Weatherby can be bought for $500. If you were closer, I'd let you borrow the Weatherby for a while to try it out.
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #10
Lampasas
Nubbin' Buck

Hard to beat a benelli nova. Would be a great reliable all weather gun.
Lampasas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Another sa 8 vote. A guy on another forum has literally been from one side of the continent to the other with a tri star 28. Doves to greaters and he says flawless.

At 11 hes ready to step out of a pump gun

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #12
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Beretta A-300 Outlander 12g. Buy once, cry once. The LOP is adjustable. Bought one for my boy when he was 10 and he is a little scrawny joker....about 48 and 70# when he started shooting it. He uses it for everything....he is 12 now and has has put about 11,000 rounds thru it without a single hiccup. He is on the 4H shotgun team and shoots more in a week than most guys shoot in 2-3 years. Bought him an A-400 for clays last summer but he likes the 300 better so I sold it. Well just keep lengthening the stock on this one until he quits growing or he wears it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top