Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 02-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Call to end active shooter drills in schools

https://time.com/5782328/teachers-un...hooter-drills/
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

To a liberal it's best to live unprepared

Help is just minutes away
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
Clay C
Ten Point

I'm kind of torn on this.

On one hand, I think being prepared is always good.

On the other
From my understanding, most active shooter drills basically just instruct you to hunker down and wait to die. With the unlikely hood of it actually happening, I don't really see the need to introduce that into the environment.

Until they get serious about real solutions (letting teachers carry or whatever you think it may be) is there really a point?
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Clay C. it kind'a reminds me of the days we used to have Nuclear attack drills in school!! get under your desk and put your head down!!! I guess if an attack really did happen, if you were quick since you were already hunkered down you could kiss your own *** good by...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: BWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Clay C. it kind'a reminds me of the days we used to have Nuclear attack drills in school!! get under your desk and put your head down!!! I guess if an attack really did happen, if you were quick since you were already hunkered down you could kiss your own *** good by...
Those, like our current shooter drills were/are conditioning, social engineering... they instill fear and dread of the catastrophe itself. The intended result is to cause the participants (parents in this case) to be so afraid that they would allow those in power to do "whatever it takes" to prevent them, "YES we need more nukes than the Russians!!" or YES we need to make all the evil guns disappear!!!"

"PLEASE SAVE US"
JFISHER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

If parents were allowed to beat the kids azzes there wouldn't be near as much trouble in schools. Discipline begins at home and if you misbehave at school you get more of it when you get home with a teacher's note. In my day it was followed up with a phone call from teacher to parents. God help yo butt if you tried to hide the note. So much wrong with the world today.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
If parents were allowed to beat the kids azzes there wouldn't be near as much trouble in schools. Discipline begins at home and if you misbehave at school you get more of it when you get home with a teacher's note. In my day it was followed up with a phone call from teacher to parents. God help yo butt if you tried to hide the note. So much wrong with the world today.

Yep, that only happened once to me... and ONCE was quite enough!! It was third grade and I knew enough by then to know I'd better straighten my cocky little *** out or I was in for a miserable time... I thank God EVERY DAY for how I was raised!
Old 02-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post

On the other
From my understanding, most active shooter drills basically just instruct you to hunker down and wait to die. With the unlikely hood of it actually happening, I don't really see the need to introduce that into the environment.

Until they get serious about real solutions (letting teachers carry or whatever you think it may be) is there really a point?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
Those, like our current shooter drills were/are conditioning, social engineering... they instill fear and dread of the catastrophe itself. The intended result is to cause the participants (parents in this case) to be so afraid that they would allow those in power to do "whatever it takes" to prevent them, "YES we need more nukes than the Russians!!" or YES we need to make all the evil guns disappear!!!"

"PLEASE SAVE US"
This is how I feel. Much better places to spend time/money than on things that are unlikely to happen. At least use the energy on the 1,000 other things that harm kids far more than shootings.

Why scare every kid when 1. It will only affect 1 in a million and 2. If/when it did happen the kids would very likely panic anyhow and the "training" do zero good.

Quote:
Yep, that only happened once to me... and ONCE was quite enough!! It was third grade and I knew enough by then to know I'd better straighten my cocky little *** out or I was in for a miserable time... I thank God EVERY DAY for how I was raised!
My son got a good beating/spanking one or two times. He straightened right up!
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
In my day it was followed up with a phone call from teacher to parents.
Back in my day, all the teachers had a wooded paddle. And they knew how to USE IT!!!!
Back then, not to many kids got out of hand. Teachers could actually teach.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #10
Charles
Pope & Young

Back in my day, we received our "licks" in the Principals office. He had a wooden paddle with holes drilled in it. SOB, would call us to receive our "licks" while we were in PE. Y'all remember the PE shorts we wore. **** things were thin polyester. Every time you sat down for a few days you were reminded of your "licks".
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #11
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
True story. My 5 yr old daughter has been giving my wife a lot of attitude. Last night I was Mr Mom and is had enough of her attitude. I made her leave the dinner table and go to my room. She asked if she was getting a spanking, I said no “you’re getting a whoopin”! She got 3 solid seats from a 2” wide paddle made out of a shaved down 1x2. Later at bath I asked her if she knew why she got a whoopin. She said yes because of my bad attitude. I said yes and we have tried time out, taking away privileges and spanking. She said “yeah but whooping work, because it made me change my attitude!” I said yes it did. She was an angel the rest of the evening and this morning
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Was it in the hopes that the immense heat and shock wave would go above you if you were hunkered down?
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #13
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
True story. My 5 yr old daughter has been giving my wife a lot of attitude. Last night I was Mr Mom and is had enough of her attitude. I made her leave the dinner table and go to my room. She asked if she was getting a spanking, I said no “you’re getting a whoopin”! She got 3 solid seats from a 2” wide paddle made out of a shaved down 1x2. Later at bath I asked her if she knew why she got a whoopin. She said yes because of my bad attitude. I said yes and we have tried time out, taking away privileges and spanking. She said “yeah but whooping work, because it made me change my attitude!” I said yes it did. She was an angel the rest of the evening and this morning

I see so many ******* kids with my sons sports, and wife being a teacher/coach, who I just KNOW could be squared right away if their parents just weren’t to big a cowards to administer a proper attitude adjustment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #14
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW Smith County

When I was a child, avoiding quick sand and catching on fire we’re going to be a big part of making it to adulthood.

super_dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #15
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I see so many ******* kids with my sons sports, and wife being a teacher/coach, who I just KNOW could be squared right away if their parents just weren’t to big a cowards to administer a proper attitude adjustment!

No doubt Dale. But there has to be a balance. When the paint stick or paddle comes out it’s because I’ve had my fill and exhausted all other consequences. I embrace my kids afterwards and then leave them alone until they stop crying. After they have calmed down, we discuss it to make sure they understand why they got swats.

I will say a peeve of mine is that my wife uses me as a threat to my kids. She will spank them, but frankly it’s not much more than a token swat. She calls me for the real deal. Makes me feel like the bad cop
Old 02-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #16
ladybluearm
Eight Point

Too many parents want to be their kids friend, they need to be parents first.Discipline starts at home! Just my opinion.
ladybluearm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 02:24 PM   #17
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Was it in the hopes that the immense heat and shock wave would go above you if you were hunkered down?

Truly I think it was to make it easier to count bodies in the aftermath if everyone was organized before their demise...
Old 02-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #18
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
I actually recall one of our coaches in middle school (Coach Gutzler) paddle had ATTITUDE ADJUSTER burned into it about 1/4" deep

and it actually worked
Old 02-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #19
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:
Truly I think it was to make it easier to count bodies in the aftermath if everyone was organized before their demise...
oof
Old 02-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #20
Charles
Pope & Young

Nothing worse to come out of Moms mouth was "wait until your Dad gets home". If you heard her say that, you knew you went way to far.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #21
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
You don’t say. Hard to believe that worked. .

I’m not saying one of the numerous whoopins I received growing up straightened me out, but I **** sure wasn’t going to get another for the same thing. Grandmas switch was whole nother level of fixin my problem.

My Chicago born neighbor is raising their kid with the new books available. From what I can see talking and discussing with a three year old isn’t working in their favor.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #22
JerryC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft Bend County
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck View Post

I’m not saying one of the numerous whoopins I received growing up straightened me out, but I **** sure wasn’t going to get another for the same thing. Grandmas switch was whole nother level of fixin my problem.

My Chicago born neighbor is raising their kid with the new books available. From what I can see talking and discussing with a three year old isn’t working in their favor.
I remember getting whooped with a switch. My grandma made me go get mine own. Made you think about what you had did while cutting your own switch.
Yes, I learned to do wrong things only once or twice.
JerryC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #23
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:

I’m watching the same thing with my nephews. My Sister in Law, God bless her is trying to do the best she can. Her husband is a fairly disengaged father, he has 2 parenting modes all out scream/cussing and ignore. Her middle child is a terror. I hate being around him his behavior is so bad.

At 3 I watched her “reason” with him why he needed to go take a nap. After 15 mins of him screaming, waking my kids, and cilulminating with him spitting on her, I had enough. I walked past her, snatched his smart @ss off his feet, laid him on his back and got eye to eye with him and told him if I ever saw him disrespect his mom like that again that I would bust his butt. That boy went and took his nap.

He is 5/6 now and has been given every diagnosis and Med you can think of. I can confirm he has DATA, disrespectful attitude towards adults. I thought it might shape up when he entered school and there was structure and clear rules. He’s is better at school than home. Honestly, wouldn’t surprise me if in 20 years he isn’t a sociopath or mass shooter.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #24
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Nothing worse to come out of Moms mouth was "wait until your Dad gets home". If you heard her say that, you knew you went way to far.
My Mom never said that, she was independent and would beat the hell out of you with whatever she could grab. She would not even tell Dad about it when he got home. All us kids was heathens and she reminded us every day.

Dad never was much on giving whippings and I remember him telling me one time "if I ever have to start beating on you, they will have to call the cops to get me to stop".
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #25
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And then my dad saying "this is gonna hurt me more than it hurts you".
Then waiting for a couple more hours before administering the hurt.
All the time I prayed he would somehow forget but he never did.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #26
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

I find it ironic that our country's nuclear deterrent policy is to have more and bigger nukes then everyone else so as they're afraid to even think about nuking us. Yet in the defense of our children in schools no firearms are allowed.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #27
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
I’m not saying one of the numerous whoopins I received growing up straightened me out, but I **** sure wasn’t going to get another for the same thing.
Ain't that the truth!!!
I got many whoopins growing up, but none for the same thing. And, I have never been arrested either or ever done drugs, or went on a shooting spree.
Well maybe a couple times on a dove hunt!!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #28
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post

On the other

The National news story tonight 2/14/20 was about how the police that are pushing these courses are actually scamming the public with useless scare tactics for personal gain and they seem useless to conduct

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ida/343641002/

Last edited by pilar; 02-14-2020 at 07:44 PM.
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-14-2020, 11:47 PM   #29
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:

I got azz busted in 1st grade. Teacher wrote my parents a note about it. I wadded it up and hid it behind the gutter in from of the school while waiting on the bus. Maintenance man found it it. I got my azz busted again at school the next day and at home when my teacher called. Taking the note home would have saved me an azz whooping.

That was was 1979....things are definitely different now.

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #30
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Yep, discipline is the root of good behavior. kids learn fast how to behave and what is not acceptable behavior.

and it's not just kids who need this discipline, a lot of adults need a major dose of it also.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top