Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
    I'll be saddle hunting and will have pop up as back up.
    I also got a Sit & Drag saddle a few years ago.

Typically I just climb whatever trees and make shift...no stand. Has put several primitive public land trophies on the wall. Definitely a different style. Much like the native Indians that inhabited the marshes of Aransas, the Karankawas. Get NATIVE!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thumper, pm sent

Comment

First time applying, first time drawn, first time hunting this area. Not hearing great things so far and a little concerned about water moccasins/gators in a pop up blind. Has anyone found the ground blinds with floors to be too noisy or cumbersome? Fished this area last week and saw plenty of hogs (of course) from the boat.

Comment

Thumper you get drawn ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            Thumper you get drawn ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Yep, but a lot of the regulars didn't::

Aransas is a pretty hard hunt not under the best conditions and elements. After a couple years of the draw the word will get around and we'll be back to having permits let over.

There's been 400 $65 over the counter permits for the archery hunt the last ten years and the most sold was less than 250. Some years only 150 or so were sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post

Aransas is a pretty hard hunt not under the best conditions and elements. After a couple years of the draw the word will get around and we'll be back to having permits let over.

There's been 400 $65 over the counter permits for the archery hunt the last ten years and the most sold was less than 250. Some years only 150 or so were sold.
              Well now they are making more money off each permit. I wonder now that it's a draw will more people show up? I would like to see them do the standby permits for sure. Thumper hopefully we can meet while we are there, after countless hours of scouring the internet looking for info on this hunt I have come to the conclusion that you are the OG god father of this hunt.

Comment

Hello y’all , I’m in .it will be my first public land hunt in Texas . I’m a swamp donkey swaking Florida cracker. I think this hunt is going to be a lot like home . Hot ,humid , mosquitoes, snakes and yo-yo hunters are par for the course. I’m crazy enough to strip down to my drawers to swim across a creek with gators alone for a chance to get a buck to ride in my truck . I think that water is not going to be much of an issue . I hunted mostly barefoot because there was no hope of keeping any boots dry . If it wasn’t the water it was the sweat . Permitheran is the ticket y’all. Don’t throw away your termacell pads . Spray them with it and they fall outta the air . Gators well , avoid holes with water and their eyes shine at night . If the eyes are wide apart it’s a biggie . The smaller ones avoid humans as most gators will . I feel that at least here we dont have drunk *******s on swamp buggies busting up your hunt and littering everywhere.Also Texans are about the best kind hearted honest great Americans anyone could ask for . I never expected to get picked . Truth be told a hunt in a swamp was the last place I thought I would end up . I’ll be camping at gators primitive camping . I will not be scouting during the hunt and know to avoid others . I hate a spot crashing bonehead but it’s public land and it’s going to happen . I feel terrible for the ole boys that live around there that depended on the place for their hunting . The new system strips that away from them. TPWD , has it so that the hunters take on all the risk and they get all the money . So what if they get to harvest anything . This is my hope, that since there are no buggies or traffic allowed and Texas having more deer than I ever seen in my whole life that our chances are far greater by far. Hunting on Florida public land is insanely difficult. I have seen more deer in my yard and around Austin hill country than any of my friends back home could even imagine. I love Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmillerdesign View Post
                  I'll be saddle hunting and will have pop up as back up.
                  I willbe saddle hunting also . Good luck 🍀 I feel it’s the best way to go there .

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post

Thumper , I think that the regulars got pushed out by this new system . I’m new in to the state but I’m a working man and have always relyed on public land hunt. Especially the ones close by. I can’t critic, the TPWD especially because the have provided me an opportunity and they have done an incredible job for the game here . I also don’t understand all the ins and outs . So now I pay to play by the rules .

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                      I also got a Sit & Drag saddle a few years ago.

Typically I just climb whatever trees and make shift...no stand. Has put several primitive public land trophies on the wall. Definitely a different style. Much like the native Indians that inhabited the marshes of Aransas, the Karankawas. Get NATIVE!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      I agree sit and drag is the way for me . I killed myself carring all the stands and crap. Not any more. Lol.

Comment

Bring ur off
                        I was there this weekend and skeeters are something fierce....like dragonfly size by the millions
                        Also watch out for the toothy critters in the green armor had this one swim up to us wade fishing
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                          Bring ur off
                          I was there this weekend and skeeters are something fierce....like dragonfly size by the millions
                          Also watch out for the toothy critters in the green armor had this one swim up to us wade fishing
                          Nice photo, heard from a guide in the area that an old man got a nice chunk taken out of his calf while wading last year...be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
                            Hello y’all , I’m in .it will be my first public land hunt in Texas . I’m a swamp donkey swaking Florida cracker. I think this hunt is going to be a lot like home . Hot ,humid , mosquitoes, snakes and yo-yo hunters are par for the course. I’m crazy enough to strip down to my drawers to swim across a creek with gators alone for a chance to get a buck to ride in my truck . I think that water is not going to be much of an issue . I hunted mostly barefoot because there was no hope of keeping any boots dry . If it wasn’t the water it was the sweat . Permitheran is the ticket y’all. Don’t throw away your termacell pads . Spray them with it and they fall outta the air . Gators well , avoid holes with water and their eyes shine at night . If the eyes are wide apart it’s a biggie . The smaller ones avoid humans as most gators will . I feel that at least here we dont have drunk *******s on swamp buggies busting up your hunt and littering everywhere.Also Texans are about the best kind hearted honest great Americans anyone could ask for . I never expected to get picked . Truth be told a hunt in a swamp was the last place I thought I would end up . I’ll be camping at gators primitive camping . I will not be scouting during the hunt and know to avoid others . I hate a spot crashing bonehead but it’s public land and it’s going to happen . I feel terrible for the ole boys that live around there that depended on the place for their hunting . The new system strips that away from them. TPWD , has it so that the hunters take on all the risk and they get all the money . So what if they get to harvest anything . This is my hope, that since there are no buggies or traffic allowed and Texas having more deer than I ever seen in my whole life that our chances are far greater by far. Hunting on Florida public land is insanely difficult. I have seen more deer in my yard and around Austin hill country than any of my friends back home could even imagine. I love Texas.
                            If I witness someone in their drawers swimming with the gators to get a buck, it will all be worth it, hah! Welcome to Texas, swamp donkey.

Comment

Well, I said I was hunting this but have an antelope hunt in Wyoming that hopefully will be getting me back in time, if not, I'll be one of the no shows for it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

This concept of sit and drag intrigues me. Do you guys do any modifications to sit higher in the tree or do you stay at ground level?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X