No announcement yet.

He wants his gun back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird deal but it was your call. I’d be happier if the guy would have just asked you that if you still have the gun and ever plan on selling it to touch base bc I’d be interested. But that’s just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
      Am I foolish for selling it back for the same price, or just trying to do the right thing?
      Sounds like it worked out perfectly.

Comment

I have done this deal with several friends over the the years. I bought their guns when they were down and out and later sold them back to them for the same amount. However, I too was in a bind once and sold a nice rifle to a friend, he was going on a moose hunt in Alaska and he needed a larger caliber and I was short on a deer lease payment. So I sold it to him with the understanding that I could buy it back in the future. A year later I tried to acquire to get the rifle back and he balked on the deal. I even offered to pay more money and he said that was never the agreement and I could go jump in a lake. I told him I was sorry he misunderstood and if he ever decided to sell it I would at least like to get the first chance, knowing he knew full well the agreement.

I see him once or twice a month in a local eating establishment. He won't make eye contact with me now. I have absolutely no dealings with that individual anymore.

I think you are doing the right thing. A man's word is a mans word and a handshake is handshake.

Comment

Originally posted by stingerslinger View Post
          Similar thing happened to me several years back, but was 76 acres of land that is worth about 4 times what I paid for it then. Not looking forward to a call from him.
          No way on earth I'd do that. At absolute maximum I'd give him a slight discount from current market value.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post

I think you are doing the right thing. A man's word is a mans word and a handshake is handshake.
            Unless I'm missing something, a same price buyback wasn't part of the original deal.

That said, on a gun, I wouldn't really care unless I felt like I was being taken advantage of.

Comment

Good on you. I would have done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by stingerslinger View Post
                Similar thing happened to me several years back, but was 76 acres of land that is worth about 4 times what I paid for it then. Not looking forward to a call from him.
                You do realize that you’re not obligated to sell it back for the same price you paid for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                  You do realize that you’re not obligated to sell it back for the same price you paid for it?
                  On that note you are not obligated to sell it back at all unless you agreed to when you bought it. It's nice to read so many do or would be willing to. But you don't have to and the person should ask if you would sell it back not tell you they are buying it back like the OP's story.

Comment

Clarification: I’d sell it back to a friend that was down on his luck at one time. It’s the right thing to do. If I bought it from a guy who ran off with a younger woman and left his wife high and dry...he’s gonna have to kick in more money than what I bought it for.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                      Clarification: I’d sell it back to a friend that was down on his luck at one time. It’s the right thing to do. If I bought it from a guy who ran off with a younger woman and left his wife high and dry...he’s gonna have to kick in more money than what I bought it for.
                      because you're the arbiter of justice?

so you'd leverage the opportunity to profit off of his behavior? lol

Comment

Someone that makes you feel obligated, guilty, or displays the attitude the OP portrayed, ain’t a friend. They are more likely a user/abuser with no regard for someone else.

Even a Pawn shop has rules, fees, time constraints, and boundries.

We all have these takers and users in our life, whether we keep them around or not is personal preference.

I had one yahoo that borrowed my table saw for three years, I needed it but it was broken. He bought me a new one for my job then borrowed it again. I haven’t seen him of my saw in six years.

Many stories about folk like that and the ones who mistake kindness for weakness.
                        Last edited by Johnny44; 10-17-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

There is a time to make a point and there is a time to cut bait and run. I'd be annoyed if somebody was presumptuous about being able to buy something back. I'd definitely say no, if I wanted to keep it. But, since you don't want to keep it. I'd definitely sell it back. As far as the price. I like to deal reasonably... I'd just sell it back at the same price I was sold it. I don't see the need to make a profit of everything in life.

now the land thing from a different poster - no way I'd sell it back at the same price. There is the principal of time value of money - and when you tie up money in land, and that land appreciates... there is no way I'd sell it back at the same price - if I were to sell it at all. A $200 gun is a different story.

Comment

I would have done the same

Comment

I did something similar. My daughter Needed money for Christmas for her kids & sold me a Winchester 94 she inherited from her grand father. Never asking for it back, I gave it back to her a couple years ago for Christmas. After I had used it with success on a couple deer!

Comment

I would’ve sold it back BUT I’d be way more bitter about it than you are.

Comment

Working...
                                X