No announcement yet.

OMG I'm already nervous!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks you had fun on that adventure and you have learned a lot.

Comment

Always check that wind before choosing a set up. Know the prevailing wind directions and create your setup to account for them.
      Makes it much less frustrating in the long run.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
        I tried one other spot, there are three, on the place but saw nothing there either. In the case of the doe blowing her nose at me the wind was coming from me to them so it most likely was my smell. I totally used my hand to put the corn out (it's called "hand corn") so that was a rookie mistake on my end. I seem to have a lot of those....
        Yeah... these aren't likely urban deer where they walk through your backyard... they are pressured and as such, if the wind is at your back, you are out of luck. Buy a cheap bottle of wind indicator (you make puffs and you can see the wind carry it.) This is the most valuable tool I have. Because sometimes the predominate wind in the forecast doesn't actually occur at a spot... or I might have a breeze that feels like it is in my face or at my back... but when the wind travels just a few feet away, it changes into a different direction. You have to watch the wind.

Before I drop hand corn, I check the wind at THAT spot and see if it is coming across where I'll be sitting.

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        I have been using my hand for hand corn for 8 years, never a problem.
        Probably something else alerted her
        I knew it! I knew when I said the thing about hands in hand corn somebody would say "it didn't matter for me!" and truth be told, I believe that!

I have hunted a ranch where somebody chunked corn out with their bare hands and it didn't matter. I think in that case... the deer were conditioned to it. But, on my old place, we noticed when we used our bare hands (especially in warm/damp times of year), the deer would see it and come to it... but sometimes bump off of it... and it seemed they would hit it only after a while. However, if I didn't use my hands, I stopped getting blown out by the corn being there. It is just based on observation and so I've always taken the easy precaution of not touching it if I don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          Yeah... these aren't likely urban deer where they walk through your backyard... they are pressured and as such, if the wind is at your back, you are out of luck.

LOL! That's precisely what I was expecting. I fully knew they were going to walk up like the ones out at the old house did. I could shake a 5 gallon bucket of corn and they'd jump the fence coming at me. Live and learn though. Oh and thanks for the advice on the wind indicator.

Richard

Comment

Good luck

Comment

I've had it both ways. Lease in Haskell you had better not touch the corn with your hands. San Saba you can roll on it and they will still eat it.
              Pigs on the other hand don't like anything "off".

Gary

Comment

Vanilla coverup scent

Comment

I have been using my hand for hand corn for 8 years, never a problem.
                  Probably something else alerted her
                  Me too. Never an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                    Me too. Never an issue.
                    I thought of you guys this weekend. Mowed down an area 20yds by 30yds that I plan on putting a setup. Had a 50# bag of corn. Dumped half of it in a pile... and... reached my sweaty hands in and tossed the rest like I was seeding the place figured the hogs could help me till it up. If they do a good enough job... might throw some clover next week.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never noticed anything negative by throwing hand corn with my hands either! I guess you just stink, Scott!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        I have never noticed anything negative by throwing hand corn with my hands either! I guess you just stink, Scott!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        No need to guess... I am sure I do

Comment

Dont think about it, just focus on a spot and your body will do the rest
                          Besides, if you miss your still going to remember it as the most thrilling shot you ever took.
                          I know from experience
                          x2 good luck

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            I thought of you guys this weekend. Mowed down an area 20yds by 30yds that I plan on putting a setup. Had a 50# bag of corn. Dumped half of it in a pile... and... reached my sweaty hands in and tossed the rest like I was seeding the place figured the hogs could help me till it up. If they do a good enough job... might throw some clover next week.

Comment

SwampRabbit,

I am going out this weekend and will be taking your advice with me. You know your stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X