Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 PM   #51
elgato
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default

I have a corn feeder several hundred yards form my home. As I turn a curve to go on the farm it is right down the road and someone drives by it multiple times daily. It goes off twice a day heavily year round.There are always deer around it and they have become quite mellow. Very enjoyable to see them there daily.Even better when the rut comes around.

Strictly for entertainment. { I have no hogs }
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 11:07 PM   #52
sharpstick35
Six Point
 
sharpstick35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: odessa tx
Hunt In: rocksprings tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
I understand protein keeps them healthy, puts on mass and helps them make in the winter but I am on a pretty low budget and just can't afford the extras. I do what I can when I can. Thanks for the feedback. Good luck this year.
cottonseed is about the cheapest protein you can get.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 11:10 PM   #53
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Corn all year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
cottonseed is about the cheapest protein you can get.


After these flooding rains in the Angelo area around harvest time, Iím worried the price is going to be sky high this next year.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 PM   #54
sharpstick35
Six Point
 
sharpstick35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: odessa tx
Hunt In: rocksprings tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
After these flooding rains in the Angelo area around harvest time, Iím worried the price is going to be sky high this next year.
I may have to look in the Lubbock area in January
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #55
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young
 
Throwin' Darts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-L-F View Post
feed all year and that's why we burn though about 120,000 lbs of corn plus protein all year
120,000 pounds????? Wow. How many feeders are y'all running
Throwin' Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #56
125Dad
Pope & Young
 
125Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: keller
Hunt In: Coke Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
After these flooding rains in the Angelo area around harvest time, Iím worried the price is going to be sky high this next year.
Me and my kid was talking about this while driving home on 67 this afternoon.

I may have to try the maple flavored water.
125Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:04 AM   #57
Top Of Texas
Eight Point
 
Top Of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas Panhandle
Hunt In: Panhandle
Default

Here's some biology to consider.

The first part of a deer's stomach, the rumen, is full of microbes. There are different microbes that breakdown different forage substances. The type of microbes increase based on what the deer is eating. There are only so many microbes in the rumen. For example, if the deer is eating a high starch diet, as provided by corn, microbes that breakdown starch build up in the rumen. This is high in energy but low in protein.

While the deer metabolism requires energy to breakdown protein, that energy need is far exceeded by a heavy corn diet. Thus, starch digesters build up in the rumen. This decreases the proportion of microbes that breakdown cellulose (plant cell contents), which occurs in high amounts in forbs (weeds), and hemicellulose, which breaks down more fibrous plant cells such as browse.

So, during the spring and summer, it's advantageous to decrease, or eliminate, corn in order to develop cellulose and hemicellulose microbes in the rumen to increase plant digestion and protein uptake.

In the fall and winter, crank up the energy (corn).
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:15 AM   #58
sharpstick35
Six Point
 
sharpstick35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: odessa tx
Hunt In: rocksprings tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
Here's some biology to consider.

The first part of a deer's stomach, the rumen, is full of microbes. There are different microbes that breakdown different forage substances. The type of microbes increase based on what the deer is eating. There are only so many microbes in the rumen. For example, if the deer is eating a high starch diet, as provided by corn, microbes that breakdown starch build up in the rumen. This is high in energy but low in protein.

While the deer metabolism requires energy to breakdown protein, that energy need is far exceeded by a heavy corn diet. Thus, starch digesters build up in the rumen. This decreases the proportion of microbes that breakdown cellulose (plant cell contents), which occurs in high amounts in forbs (weeds), and hemicellulose, which breaks down more fibrous plant cells such as browse.

So, during the spring and summer, it's advantageous to decrease, or eliminate, corn in order to develop cellulose and hemicellulose microbes in the rumen to increase plant digestion and protein uptake.

In the fall and winter, crank up the energy (corn).

that holds true in a corn heavy diet such as hand corning. times corn feeders do not throw out enough corn to cause a change in the microbes.
while I do feed corn all year its more of a treat for them as apposed to a staple of their diet.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #59
Sparkie
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huffman TX
Hunt In: Boerne/Rocksprings
Default

sharpstick35;13771445]that holds true in a corn heavy diet such as hand corning. times corn feeders do not throw out enough corn to cause a change in the microbes.
while I do feed corn all year its more of a treat for them as apposed to a staple of their diet.


Do you get your Cottonseed in Rocksprings? If so where? I come from Kerrville down 41, so if you dont get it in town where do you grab it from?
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 01:58 AM   #60
Sparkie
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Huffman TX
Hunt In: Boerne/Rocksprings
Default

We have always corn feed year round. Only the last 3-4 years have I put out an occasional mineral or protein block while we where out there. I will also put some Chaffhaye out during hunts. 1 bag will be 3-4 sits, just enough to spread around with good scent. Also works great as a cover scent in the blind, just setting the bag in there after spreading some for the hunt. This is the first year I have actually fed protein and I did a mix of 50/50 to corn. Hopefully with all the rain in Rocksprings that it hasnt clogged up my feeder (fingers crossed). Really done feel like dumping out about 500lbs of corn and protein and cleaning a feeder just to hunt. But will.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 AM   #61
sharpstick35
Six Point
 
sharpstick35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: odessa tx
Hunt In: rocksprings tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
sharpstick35;13771445]that holds true in a corn heavy diet such as hand corning. times corn feeders do not throw out enough corn to cause a change in the microbes.
while I do feed corn all year its more of a treat for them as apposed to a staple of their diet.


Do you get your Cottonseed in Rocksprings? If so where? I come from Kerrville down 41, so if you dont get it in town where do you grab it from?
country boys doesn't carry it, yet. I've been asking about it.
I get it in Uvalde or san angelo
if I had better storage I'd buy it in bulk.
I'm not aware of anything between Kerrville and rocksprings but that would be great if someone did.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #62
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young
 
lovemylegacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mauriceville
Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
Do any of you guys just feed plain ol corn all year? No protein or other attractants, just plain corn. I know it has no benefits for deer but just to keep them around.
If you are gonna corn, corn all year.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #63
JBJTX81
Ten Point
 
JBJTX81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wise Co
Hunt In: Brown/Comanche and Kent
Default

Corn yr round protein mid jan-mid August in feed pens. I firmly believe deer go where the groceries are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
JBJTX81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #64
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: gonzales tx
Hunt In: gonzales, and....
Default

well I have been doing it for years until now; I've got about 3" of corn below the feeder going rotten; I filled the feeder and adjusted the spinner to throw out further, just trying to get it a little further from the existing rotting corn. don't know if it will work or if is part of the problem just yet.
there is a lot of acorns on the ground, and everyone I have talked to seems to have the same problem.. good luck; if you figure it out let me know!!
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #65
Keg
Ten Point
 
Keg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Freestone county
Hunt In: Freestone county
Default

I feed corn year round..... I kill lots of pigs in the off season....
Keg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #66
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley64 View Post
We typically feed corn until the season starts, then we switch to a simple mixture of water and maple syrup. We take that and hand spray all the small shrubs in the area and it lets the deer make useable food out of normally inedible substances. Hell sometimes we just spray with water and that does the trick. You have to be careful though cause the syrup attracts the snakes something awful.
Wait what???!!!???
I've heard some tall tales but this beats all. I knew I should have brought my waders to work today.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com