Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 10-08-2018, 11:31 PM   #51
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
That's absolutely 100 percent without a doubt..... UNFAIR!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
pm me your cell, ill text pics of some
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #52
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
pm me your cell, ill text pics of some
Incoming...

Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #53
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Incoming...

Im still scared to go South of the border
Old 10-08-2018, 11:36 PM   #54
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Im still scared to go South of the border
No need with the place you guys have, that's a dream setup! Just the fact your deer have such little pressure and can reach a ripe old age is incredible!

Old 10-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #55
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

I had a 600 acre place up in New Waverly for 26 years. We finally got control about 10 yrs ago and managed it pretty hard. We killed 2 160s. One would have been in 170s but he broke off a 10 dagger. We grew a deer that went 184 that I hunted religiously but was killed by a neighbor. Sadly this place sold this year to be developed. We are killing 150s at our house 3 miles down the road but nothing to touch 160-170 yet. Not bad for some Montgomery county deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #56
Tshelly
Ten Point

Default ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

The deer on the left is a deer we are still looking for. We call him Torch. He was a 3 yr old in the picture. Im guessing he will be 6 this year. We know he made it through at 4 and 5 but no pictures of him as we only have 80 acres on that side of the road. I killed the deer on the right 2 yrs ago at my house. He scored in the 150s, 143 as main frame 7 point.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #57
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post

The deer on the left is a deer we are still looking for. We call him Torch. He was a 3 yr old in the picture. Im guessing he will be 6 this year. We know he made it through at 4 and 5 but no pictures of him as we only have 80 acres on that side of the road. I killed the deer on the right 2 yrs ago at my house. He scored in the 150s, 143 as main frame 7 point.

Incredible deer! Obviously you were putting the age on them and that's half the battle! Did you guys feed as well?
Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #58
Tshelly
Ten Point

Quote:
Incredible deer! Obviously you were putting the age on them and that's half the battle! Did you guys feed as well?

We did some the last 5 years at our lease, but there is mostly just genetics and age. All those deer were 5 or older. I passed the 184 as a 4 yr old and one of the 160s as well at 4.

At the house we feed corn and soybeans 365 days a year and spring/fall plots.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #59
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
We did some the last 5 years at our lease, but there is mostly just genetics and age. All those deer were 5 or older. I passed the 184 as a 4 yr old and one of the 160s as well at 4.

At the house we feed corn and soybeans 365 days a year and spring/fall plots.

Just goes to show what age can do, even without feed or little feed if you'll just take a chance and let 'em roll.
I'm very impressed you were able to grow that size of deer on 600 acres in probably one of the most poached area's in Texas. Hats off to you! I guess guys like Garguy and you both have proven it can be done.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #60
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX

Quote:
Amazing hill country deer to say the least! Wow! I'm wondering why the decline this year though? Drought? Sounds like for several years you guys were killing very top end hill country bucks!
The bottom deer was our best deer to date. I had my target buck at 10 yards last night but he didn't come exactly where he needed to. The one I'm after is about a 145 10 point.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #61
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
The bottom deer was our best deer to date. I had my target buck at 10 yards last night but he didn't come exactly where he needed to. The one I'm after is about a 145 10 point.

Giants! Holy smokes man!

Old 10-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #62
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Giants! Holy smokes man!

Yes he was! I did not kill him but my buddy did. The other deer on the bottom is a 4 or 5 year old that needs one more year to peak. We've tried to get more into letting a deer peak than reach a certain age. 5.5 years is the minimum but we let certain deer go if we think they haven't reached their full potential.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #63
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I am on small property. I hate the HF freak bucks you pay to buy
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #64
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes he was! I did not kill him but my buddy did. The other deer on the bottom is a 4 or 5 year old that needs one more year to peak. We've tried to get more into letting a deer peak than reach a certain age. 5.5 years is the minimum but we let certain deer go if we think they haven't reached their full potential.

That bottom one is gonna be a toad!

Old 10-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #65
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

I certainly hope so. This was him last year, I cannot decide if he was a healthy 3 year old last year or a 4 year old. This year he's been hanging out with 4 year Olds and is a main frame 10 with a G2 kicker and 2 base kickers. His name is Potential since we were thinking he may turn into something.
Quote:
That bottom one is gonna be a toad!

Old 10-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #66
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
I am on small property. I hate the HF freak bucks you pay to buy

Definitely not my personal style either but I'm not gonna hate a man for doing it. To each their own.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #67
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
I certainly hope so. This was him last year, I cannot decide if he was a healthy 3 year old last year or a 4 year old. This year he's been hanging out with 4 year Olds and is a main frame 10 with a G2 kicker and 2 base kickers. His name is Potential since we were thinking he may turn into something.

Looks 3 last year to me but I'm no pro
Old 10-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #68
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
I had a 600 acre place up in New Waverly for 26 years. We finally got control about 10 yrs ago and managed it pretty hard. We killed 2 160s. One would have been in 170s but he broke off a 10 dagger. We grew a deer that went 184 that I hunted religiously but was killed by a neighbor. Sadly this place sold this year to be developed. We are killing 150s at our house 3 miles down the road but nothing to touch 160-170 yet. Not bad for some Montgomery county deer.
Man, those are some hosses! Those suburban bucks can get huge.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #69
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
We have no control of our herd. We border the Waggoner 530,000 acres on 70 % and the another 20,000 acre place is the other 30%. Neither hunt much. The Wag just started last year and it was 35 miles from us.We have about 2400 acres total.
The deer are rarely pressured and get to 7-8 yrs old and older. We have wheat and oats that draw deer when the weather turns really cold. The deer are very transient
We try and shoot mature deer with a good deal of success. We see 140-50 class deer regularly.
I don't know where the closest high fenced place is to us. From our back fence its 40 miles across the Wag to the next ranch.
That's cheating! lol
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #70
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

I have had a HF 1000ac place with native deer Frio co. for 7yrs now. Protein feed at rate more than biologist recommended rates and winter wheat. Largest buck we have killed to date is 159 5/8 gross, another 159 3/8 some 157,156,154,153 etc. we are letting the bucks get to 7.5, but see little to no jump from 5.5 to 7.5 even in mass. Native brouse hurts us on good years...deer do not eat as much protein on good brouse years and always have smaller racks as a result. Biggest racks come on dry years when they have to eat protein 10-15" more. We also kill a lot of 7.5 -8.5 yr old 6, 7 and 8pt than score 120's, are avg. buck scores about 135'' thats 7.5yo all Frio co deer. Some of are bucks weigh over 200lbs highest 228lb. We have had some bucks that had best rack at 5.5 some at 6.5 but I think its more a product of health and food that year than age. We had typ 12 at 5.5 that we think would of scored 167 thought for sure next yr he would break BC but next yr was only 153 still a 12, next yr 155, he is 8.5 now and looks only 153 but is 13pt and has lost tine length and mass. Moral of story is native deer have a ceiling.Age and food aren't the answer. Doesn't mean at some point a 170 wont hit our dirt, just shows how rare they are without genetic help.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #71
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
I have had a HF 1000ac place with native deer Frio co. for 7yrs now. Protein feed at rate more than biologist recommended rates and winter wheat. Largest buck we have killed to date is 159 5/8 gross, another 159 3/8 some 157,156,154,153 etc. we are letting the bucks get to 7.5, but see little to no jump from 5.5 to 7.5 even in mass. Native brouse hurts us on good years...deer do not eat as much protein on good brouse years and always have smaller racks as a result. Biggest racks come on dry years when they have to eat protein 10-15" more. We also kill a lot of 7.5 -8.5 yr old 6, 7 and 8pt than score 120's, are avg. buck scores about 135'' thats 7.5yo all Frio co deer. Some of are bucks weigh over 200lbs highest 228lb. We have had some bucks that had best rack at 5.5 some at 6.5 but I think its more a product of health and food that year than age. We had typ 12 at 5.5 that we think would of scored 167 thought for sure next yr he would break BC but next yr was only 153 still a 12, next yr 155, he is 8.5 now and looks only 153 but is 13pt and has lost tine length and mass. Moral of story is native deer have a ceiling.Age and food aren't the answer. Doesn't mean at some point a 170 wont hit our dirt, just shows how rare they are without genetic help.
I'll have to agree to disagree with you bubba. Obviously all deer have a ceiling HF, LF no fence, genetic freaks or native they all have a point or threshold they cant cross no matter what you do for them. Obviously only God knows that number in each deer, we as stewards can only help to try and get them there.

But to make a blank statement that " age and nutrition isn't the answer" is the exact opposite of my experience for the last 20 years. From Dimmit county to Old Mexico up and down the river I've personally seen what affects age and nutrition have done to the deer on the particular ranches I've hunted. Age more than anything. And those factors alone have created the giants in the past where I've hunted. It seems most, but obviously not all already have elevated genetics if allowed to express them.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #72
coop2564
Ten Point

Quote:
I'll have to agree to disagree with you bubba. Obviously all deer have a ceiling HF, LF no fence, genetic freaks or native they all have a point or threshold they cant cross no matter what you do for them. Obviously only God knows that number in each deer, we as stewards can only help to try and get them there.

But to make a blank statement that " age and nutrition isn't the answer" is the exact opposite of my experience for the last 20 years. From Dimmit county to Old Mexico up and down the river I've personally seen what affects age and nutrition have done to the deer on the particular ranches I've hunted. Age more than anything. And those factors alone have created the giants in the past where I've hunted. It seems most, but obviously not all already have elevated genetics if allowed to express them.

Once they hit 5.5 in our place age has made no difference that we have seen. Only how much protein they eat. More brouse they eat the smaller there racks. Just saying whats happening in our place. YMMV
Old 10-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #73
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Once they hit 5.5 in our place age has made no difference that we have seen. Only how much protein they eat. More brouse they eat the smaller there racks. Just saying whats happening in our place. YMMV
Gotcha. Definitely agree each place is different . And I have no clue what YMMV is?

Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #74
Regular7
Four Point

Your
Mileage
May
Vary
Regular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #75
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular7 View Post
Your
Mileage
May
Vary
Old 10-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #76
Big Mike M
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval County west of Freer

Quote:
Try adding a cottonseed feeders next to your protein feeders. This will give the bachelor group of bucks all a chance to eat when they hit the feeder pens together. Most of the time a dominate buck will control the protein feeder and most of the bucks will not get to eat while there. I guarantee your deer weights will go up if you start feeding cottonseed and protein together. Plus healthier deer usually means higher scoring bucks. We are seeing a big difference after doing this just 2 years ago.
Big Mike M is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #77
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:

And there are folks on here that have just about thrown the "genetics" piece out the window thinking it isn't important...lol

I have to disagree on age and nutrition though. Those are the basic keys to any trophy type management program and normally the easiest to implement for a simple management plan.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #78
LHPanther
Eight Point

I’m bonkers about trying to grow huge low fence deer. I live on our family ranch which has amazing genetics. I watch deer 365 days a year. I feed protein and corn year round and plant soy beans most years. We just feed the heck out of them and pray they get old. Our neighbors are the biggest problem preventing us from having 170+ deer on most years. We are loaded with 130-150 class bucks but have had numerous ones break 160 up to 200”. I’d love to tell you that I have a magic recipe that gives us all the big bucks but I’d be lying if I said it was anything other than dumb luck. I wish more folks with big deer would admit that lol. I find that I’d rather watch all the big bucks vs shooting them. I have had the opportunity to watch many of these deer from when they were very young...My wife finally told me last season that I had to shoot one of I couldn’t feed them anymore lol.
LHPanther is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #79
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHPanther View Post
Im bonkers about trying to grow huge low fence deer. I live on our family ranch which has amazing genetics. I watch deer 365 days a year. I feed protein and corn year round and plant soy beans most years. We just feed the heck out of them and pray they get old. Our neighbors are the biggest problem preventing us from having 170+ deer on most years. We are loaded with 130-150 class bucks but have had numerous ones break 160 up to 200. Id love to tell you that I have a magic recipe that gives us all the big bucks but Id be lying if I said it was anything other than dumb luck. I wish more folks with big deer would admit that lol. I find that Id rather watch all the big bucks vs shooting them. I have had the opportunity to watch many of these deer from when they were very young...My wife finally told me last season that I had to shoot one of I couldnt feed them anymore lol.
I like your passion! and as much as I feel my strategy and management plans will work I agree 100 percent on dumb luck! I'll take all of it I can get... .

So what did you shoot?
Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #80
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Some pretty special looking specimans on this thread! It is good to see folks putting in the work and patience it takes to develop some fantastic deer. Great thread Shane!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #81
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Some pretty special looking specimans on this thread! It is good to see folks putting in the work and patience it takes to develop some fantastic deer. Great thread Shane!
Appreciate David and I agree... lots of good guys on here pouring their heart and soul into their place. Sometimes I think I'm crazy when making that monthly drive south to fill feeders and check on things, but when you pull those SD cards it's all worth it
Old 10-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #82
LHPanther
Eight Point

Quote:
I like your passion! and as much as I feel my strategy and management plans will work I agree 100 percent on dumb luck! I'll take all of it I can get... .

So what did you shoot?
I shot a mid 150s 6 year old that I had been watching for 4 years. Always bittersweet taking one that youve been following for years....but its always fun shooting big bucks with your bow.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #83
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

We tried to! Oh lord how we tried!! But the owners had different plans that included clearing all the underbrush leaving only the big oak trees. Their reasoning was they want to be able to SEE the deer when they were out there. That, and they slowly sold the place off bit by bit, and went up 150% on the price.

All low fence Llano county deer

Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #84
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHPanther View Post
I shot a mid 150s 6 year old that I had been watching for 4 years. Always bittersweet taking one that youve been following for years....but its always fun shooting big bucks with your bow.
I shot a deer several years ago that I raised from 3.5 to 7.5. Felt like I shot a friend no joke! Then when I sat in that blind I would miss him walking out ...

Old 10-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #85
LHPanther
Eight Point

Quote:
I shot a deer several years ago that I raised from 3.5 to 7.5. Felt like I shot a friend no joke! Then when I sat in that blind I would miss him walking out ...

I completely get it. I have caught myself looking out my window looking for him so many times (yes, I watch most of our bucks from my kitchen window lol)
Old 10-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #86
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
We tried to! Oh lord how we tried!! But the owners had different plans that included clearing all the underbrush leaving only the big oak trees. Their reasoning was they want to be able to SEE the deer when they were out there. That, and they slowly sold the place off bit by bit, and went up 150% on the price.

DANG BiL you guys had some giants!! That split G-2 buck is a monster! Beams for dayzzzz!

No worries on loosing it, you can always come hang out with me!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #87
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

We have been since 2011 on 840 acres in OK. Protien/plots year round. We have been going up each year on the plots. We are right at 40 acres this year but should have been at 55 but the pigs wear one of the fields out so we stopped trying to replant. My favorite thing is the food plots. Just learning all the no til practices and looking forward to using cover crops and trying new varieties out. finally got around to putting out some crimson clover like el gato does. We burn a little bit of the property every year. We have a lot of water on the place but I still want to have water in my feeder pens. Trap and kill as many hogs as possible. Trying to grow some trees. We have a few sanctuaries. We have had some great young deer get killed by neighbors but oh well it happens. We moved our cows to one part of our place to keep them away from the deer. We dont shoot trophies every year because I always want them to get another year. Seems like Im always saying cant wait til next year. My goal is to grow giant deer. My dream is to kill a 200 off it one day. We only bowhunt deer/turkey. Only a few times a year we will use a gun to kill some pigs but I think this has helped out a lot with the deer feeling more safe. Been trying to get some cottonseed up around me but its hard to find.
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #88
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
We have two pastures in the hill country next door to each other. One we have been feeding protein heavily for 11 years, its low fence with little pressure from neighbors. The other is HF, but same management practices and only had it about 8 years. We have had some mistakes by guests, but biggest deer to date is 170" native deer. We released some genetics a few years ago on the hf side, and now have some 200+" deer running around. We basically had a breeder buck and some does, and we would tag and release the fawns. The only difference is genetics and it is making all the difference in the world. 30+" of difference. I however, still prefer a native LF deer for myself, but I will eventually kill one on the HF side

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #89
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Quote:
Whats a biologist recommended rate of protein?
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #90
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BONE View Post
We have been since 2011 on 840 acres in OK. Protien/plots year round. We have been going up each year on the plots. We are right at 40 acres this year but should have been at 55 but the pigs wear one of the fields out so we stopped trying to replant. My favorite thing is the food plots. Just learning all the no til practices and looking forward to using cover crops and trying new varieties out. finally got around to putting out some crimson clover like el gato does. We burn a little bit of the property every year. We have a lot of water on the place but I still want to have water in my feeder pens. Trap and kill as many hogs as possible. Trying to grow some trees. We have a few sanctuaries. We have had some great young deer get killed by neighbors but oh well it happens. We moved our cows to one part of our place to keep them away from the deer. We dont shoot trophies every year because I always want them to get another year. Seems like Im always saying cant wait til next year. My goal is to grow giant deer. My dream is to kill a 200 off it one day. We only bowhunt deer/turkey. Only a few times a year we will use a gun to kill some pigs but I think this has helped out a lot with the deer feeling more safe. Been trying to get some cottonseed up around me but its hard to find.
You bring up a very valid point in Sanctuaries. We have cows on 100 percent of our property so I'm not sure if we actually have a true sanctuary or not. We do have at least two 3 to 4 hundred acre plots on our place that see little to no human activity (and not hunted). The deer hold up in there nicely.
I'd like to think they're sanctuaries but with cattle I dont know.
Good luck on your 200 inch quest, I bet you accomplish it one day! I have my sights set alot lower at a 170 LF deer.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #91
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
We have two pastures in the hill country next door to each other. One we have been feeding protein heavily for 11 years, its low fence with little pressure from neighbors. The other is HF, but same management practices and only had it about 8 years. We have had some mistakes by guests, but biggest deer to date is 170" native deer. We released some genetics a few years ago on the hf side, and now have some 200+" deer running around. We basically had a breeder buck and some does, and we would tag and release the fawns. The only difference is genetics and it is making all the difference in the world. 30+" of difference. I however, still prefer a native LF deer for myself, but I will eventually kill one on the HF side

What's do your trophies on the low fence side look like? 50s, 60s?
Sounds like the perfect scenario with little pressure from your neighbors to grow some great deer!

Old 10-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #92
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
What's do your trophies on the low fence side look like? 50s, 60s?
Sounds like the perfect scenario with little pressure from your neighbors to grow some great deer!

Exactly. With one in the 70's. When we got the place it was 40's-50's. But our avg for culls is up to. Our mgmt 8 pointers are consistently mid 30's and up. Had a 153" 8 killed a few yrs back.

Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #93
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
Exactly. With one in the 70's. When we got the place it was 40's-50's. But our avg for culls is up to. Our mgmt 8 pointers are consistently mid 30's and up. Had a 153" 8 killed a few yrs back.

Congratulations! Sounds like you guys got it going on!

Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #94
coop2564
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinal View Post
Whats a biologist recommended rate of protein?
1 per 250 ac is what ours said.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #95
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post

daaaang, they didnt grow'wm like that in our area of llano 20 years ago

awesome deer
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #96
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Quote:
1 per 250 ac is what ours said.
Full all the time? How many deer do you have?
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #97
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshouse View Post
daaaang, they didnt grow'wm like that in our area of llano 20 years ago

awesome deer
That's what makes this thread cool, you get to see what others have done or are doing in parts of the state where you would have never thought big deer were possible.

Even in my home coastal county of Brazoria there are some great deer being raised and harvested... I'm talking 160s! Unbelievable..

Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #98
Tshelly
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BONE View Post

We have a couple sections in northwest Oklahoma. We are slowly getting there and trying to get to yalls level. We hope to install acres of food plots and greens like yall do as well as add in the Free choice feeders. Our main thing is getting some equipment up there. We do have a 300 acre wheat field in the center of us but we have lots of sage country wed like to get 5-10 acre plots in. Our goal will be a 200 deer one day. 178 is the top so far.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #99
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
We have a couple sections in northwest Oklahoma. We are slowly getting there and trying to get to yalls level. We hope to install acres of food plots and greens like yall do as well as add in the Free choice feeders. Our main thing is getting some equipment up there. We do have a 300 acre wheat field in the center of us but we have lots of sage country wed like to get 5-10 acre plots in. Our goal will be a 200 deer one day. 178 is the top so far.

178 is a STUD!

Old 10-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #100
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Quote:
You bring up a very valid point in Sanctuaries. We have cows on 100 percent of our property so I'm not sure if we actually have a true sanctuary or not. We do have at least two 3 to 4 hundred acre plots on our place that see little to no human activity (and not hunted). The deer hold up in there nicely.
I'd like to think they're sanctuaries but with cattle I dont know.
Good luck on your 200 inch quest, I bet you accomplish it one day! I have my sights set alot lower at a 170 LF deer.

thank you and ill bet you will tag a 170 sooner than you think with your plan in place. good luck this year and keep us posted
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top