Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 05-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default Best Game Cams??

I know there are a few threads on these but what have you guys had the best luck with?

Currently have Browning Strike Force and may actually go with them since they can be had for around $100 now that a new model is out.

I'll start by saying Reconyx won't happen since I need several and I'm not sponsored by them haha. Probably a $200 a piece max
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

I love the new browning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Boar Stalker
Six Point

Hunt In: Naples Texas and Public Land (White Oak Creek, Old Sabine, Tawakoni, Gus Engeling, Richland Creek)

I replaced my 3 miscellaneous cameras with 3 Browning Strike Force Cameras. I think for that price they are a great buy. I'm happy with mine.
Boar Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
I love the new browning

I looked at it but it offers very little from last years. Little better battery life, little quicker speeds, longer video, and SD overwrite. Pic quality is the same and I don't use video or want to overwrite.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
BW96
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public and wood county

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
I looked at it but it offers very little from last years. Little better battery life, little quicker speeds, longer video, and SD overwrite. Pic quality is the same and I don't use video or want to overwrite.
Well I'm meaning from the years past. The last few years they have been top notch

BW96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Just a few? ��

Browning Strike Force is the way to go.
HoustonHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW96 View Post
Well I'm meaning from the years past. The last few years they have been top notch

Oh yea sorry. Very good now days. I was thinking you meant the newest for this year
Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
Just a few? ��

Browning Strike Force is the way to go.
Yea 4-5
Old 05-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Trailcampro are astonished with this camera.
Attached Images

RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Hmm I was reading over there and didn't notice that one on the site I'll have to go read their review. Thanks
Old 05-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
I saw that and TCP is the best review company and unbiased as they come. I find the same results they see.

These below is all I use now after trying cameras for MANY YEARS!!!! Plus the one mentioned looks awesome but I want to look into it somemore

1. Browning Strike Force $129
2. Moultrie M888 $139
3. Bushnell Aggressor $179

IN NO ORDER..................AND I HAVE USED MANY MANY cameras over the years
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I've had Cudde Captures, Primos, Spy Point, Bushnell, and maybe one other. Liked the Cudde Captures best but they didn't last long. Got a pair of Primos 60 that are in their 4th year and go year round. Had a 3rd one but it died in its second year.

I'll try the Browning next. My biggest gripe with them all is that they spend money on too many pixels--we aren't in a photo contest. Dump the mega-pixels and give me trigger speed and durability/long life.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I can't say what's best, because there are a bunch I haven't tried. After I discarded WGIs and the old Moultries, I tried Bushnells and they fit my bill. I have six of them and a Browning I bought off here, and they are all good. Some of the Bushnells are five years old and still going strong. I still have a couple Primos Blackouts that I don't use anymore because of the D batteries. Good cameras, but I don't like to have to carry the Ds around.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #14
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
I've had Cudde Captures, Primos, Spy Point, Bushnell, and maybe one other. Liked the Cudde Captures best but they didn't last long. Got a pair of Primos 60 that are in their 4th year and go year round. Had a 3rd one but it died in its second year.

I'll try the Browning next. My biggest gripe with them all is that they spend money on too many pixels--we aren't in a photo contest. Dump the mega-pixels and give me trigger speed and durability/long life.
Looks like the new spy points have the fastest trigger speeds of any cameras made now.

The mega pixels aren't even true either. Trail cam pro talks about this they are really all around 3-5 for the most part it's just marketing. Reconyx actually market me their true at 3.1 mega pixels
Old 05-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #15
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Natalia TX

I don't know if they are the best, but the Brownings I bought seem to be outlasting the Primos and Moultrie cameras I've owned by quite a bit. I purchased the Strike Force (regular, non-HD model) when Midway put them on sale last year in August. I haven't taken them out of the woods yet. The battery life is amazingly long compared to the other cams I've used, and the pictures look great.

The Primos' couldn't stand getting wet. First hard rain, they were soaked inside - all of the 35's and 46's I owned. They took good pictures. Just couldn't stand getting wet.

The Moultrie's I had just stopped working, and when they did work, they ate through batteries very quickly. They were the older, larger models with the flash - D40's I think. I went through quite a few of those before I gave up and moved to the Primos cameras. However, my friends recently purchased the very inexpensive ones that look VERY similar to the small Brownings I now own (The cases look almost identical), and those have been lasting quite well.

All the best,
Glenn
cajuntec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #16
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Buddy of mine has run Moultries on our places in wimberley for about 5 years but this year they have started failing--mostly the screens are dieing.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Buddy of mine has run Moultries on our places in wimberley for about 5 years but this year they have started failing--mostly the screens are dieing.
I've had some give up in a year get replacements from them and then they do the same thing. I like the Browning I have and with them going on sale for a new model may still grab a couple and 1-2 different ones to try out
Old 05-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #18
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

To be honest, I think my best camera is the $50 Moultrie D500.

I have a Moultrie M880i and got two Browning Strikeforce cameras for Christmas. The Moultrie M880i takes great pics, just seems to be real sensitive to tree branch movement. Strikeforce takes great day pictures, but it seems like on real cold nights that it tends to fog up and the pictures can be real blurry.
Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #19
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

[QUOTE=Ryan81;11329871]To be honest, I think my best camera is the $50 Moultrie D500.

This right here. I was fortunate enough to grab 3 of these at walmart last year for $50 each. They are all still going and the batterylife is great. I can't find them anywhere now. I was wanting a couple more.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #20
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post

I have a Moultrie M880i and got two Browning Strikeforce cameras for Christmas. The Moultrie M880i takes great pics, just seems to be real sensitive to tree branch movement. Strikeforce takes great day pictures, but it seems like on real cold nights that it tends to fog up and the pictures can be real blurry.
I know I won't get those D500.. Worst ones I've had. One took rainbow colored pics another had a dark pink tint to the pics and another took dark pics and completely stopped after a month.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #21
Baker95
Eight Point

Hunt In: Emory

TCP is the best non affiliate unbiased site you will find, and all their data is personally tested. AKA LISTEN TO THEM.
The Strike force is a great camera. Check out the Primos Proof Series. Great cam for the price.
Baker95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #22
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, NE, MEXICO

Quote:
Just read their reviews I will be looking at one of these for my Mexico lease!
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #23
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
They seem pretty happy with spypoint force 11D also and a good bit cheaper. Not much difference other than its without the solar panel but has 15 month battery life.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #24
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop dead fred View Post
I am a Reconyx man but couldn't resist it anymore. Ordered me one off Amazon.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #25
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Is it for a feeder or trail? I really like this camera from Cuddeback.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cudde...&Ntt=cuddeback

But I have not used it pointed at a feeder. I have it set to snap a picture and then take some video. That wouldn't really work too well at a feeder if you have a lot of deer. Night time pics are OK, not great. Anyway here are some pictures from it. Disclaimer though, I only have one of this type of camera but have been happy with it.

I purchased 3 others from Cuddeback that are a different model and set it up on a feeder.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cudde...&Ntt=cuddeback

It didn't seem to work as it took like 20 picture sand my Bushnell took 800 pics. But those cams I got on black Friday for $99. I took it home and it seemed to work fine??? The other two I haven't used yet, still in the box.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
Attached Images

Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #26
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

I've had a Moultree M-80 that ive been really happy with. It recently gave the black line error that cant be fixed by the update. I called Moultree who informed me that they no longer service the cameras, but without question gave me a 50% off discount for any of their new cameras plus free shipping so I got a new M-888 for $70 shipped.... I appreciate customer service like that.
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #27
AddisonOil
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion County

I've had great luck with anything Moultre!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AddisonOil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2016, 11:16 PM   #28
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
I've had a Moultree M-80 that ive been really happy with. It recently gave the black line error that cant be fixed by the update. I called Moultree who informed me that they no longer service the cameras, but without question gave me a 50% off discount for any of their new cameras plus free shipping so I got a new M-888 for $70 shipped.... I appreciate customer service like that.
You certainly won't get this kind of service from Cuddeback--at least not in my experience. They offered me a new cam since they no longer support the Capture models--at a whopping 10% off retail.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #29
gingib
Pope & Young

Cuddeback was on top of the world 4-5 years ago and FELL HARD and are nothing but junk now
Old 05-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #30
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
I know I won't get those D500.. Worst ones I've had. One took rainbow colored pics another had a dark pink tint to the pics and another took dark pics and completely stopped after a month.
Man are you unlucky. I have over 20 of them that I bought last spring and summer and they all work perfect with very long battery life. I'm only running 17 of them year round at feeders though. I'm getting about a year of battery life out of 8 AA lithium batteries and my camera's take about 250-350 pics a week.

[quote=hogslayer78;11329891]
Quote:

This right here. I was fortunate enough to grab 3 of these at walmart last year for $50 each. They are all still going and the batterylife is great. I can't find them anywhere now. I was wanting a couple more.
Quote:

I agree, I bought mine at Walmart also for $50.00 and they come with a 4gb card. Yes the picture quality is not as good as some of the higher priced camera's and the trigger speed is slow but for feeders or corned trails they work great.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #31
bphillips
Pope & Young

[quote=gonehuntin68;11336142]Man are you unlucky. I have over 20 of them that I bought last spring and summer and they all work perfect with very long battery life. I'm only running 17 of them year round at feeders though. I'm getting about a year of battery life out of 8 AA lithium batteries and my camera's take about 250-350 pics a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogslayer78 View Post

I agree, I bought mine at Walmart also for $50.00 and they come with a 4gb card. Yes the picture quality is not as good as some of the higher priced camera's and the trigger speed is slow but for feeders or corned trails they work great.
I guess so. I bought them during that same sale last year. Pic quality also isn't what I want now after running the strike force next to them. They do have good batt life
Old 05-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #32
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Reconyx is worth the money. No trouble, long battery life, great pics. You get what you pay for. I have had Primos and Cuddeback. Primos is great while until it breaks. I had 3 Primos they all broke within 2 years, one within 3 months. Cuddeback takes great pics but are unreliable at best.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #33
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Reconyx is worth the money. No trouble, long battery life, great pics. You get what you pay for. I have had Primos and Cuddeback. Primos is great while until it breaks. I had 3 Primos they all broke within 2 years, one within 3 months. Cuddeback takes great pics but are unreliable at best.
I get that but getting others like the Brownings if you only get 4yrs out of them it would still come out cheaper and get better pic quality. By the time you spent the same as one Reconyx you would have 15yrs or so out of them. That's if they only last 4years. I don't care if any last that long because they will likely be so much better then that I would want new ones anyway. Lots of cams already have better pics than Reconyx their selling point is lasting the longest.

Now if I wanted to buy once and last forever I would do that though. Plus it's a lot different to buy 5 for 500-550 than it is to buy one for almost the same.

Trust me I looked hard at them I just don't think I would want the same camera technology that long

Last edited by bphillips; 05-16-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #34
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Cuddeback was on top of the world 4-5 years ago and FELL HARD and are nothing but junk now

I have one of their cameras that isn't junk. The other can I tried didn't seem to perform, so we'll see. I got them to use away from feeders which is a different application and I that seems to be their wheelhouse.

My other cameras are Reconyx and Bushnell. Anyway, just offering something based on my experience.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #35
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
agree totally - we had five of them and they were all trash - and good luck trying to get any type of service from them. We will never use them again
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #36
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
agree totally - we had five of them and they were all trash - and good luck trying to get any type of service from them. We will never use them again
Yep. Each of the past 3 years I have tried their new model, thinking maybe they figured it out.

NOPE....all 3 models sucked horribly!!!!

The old capture's and attacks were awesome but nothing new compares and I wouldn't use if free...I value my TC pics
Old 05-17-2016, 06:14 PM   #37
Ryan81
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas, Oklahoma

Anyone know of any good deals going on right now? Looking to buy a decent camera or two less than 80.
Ryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #38
Spike

Lots of good info, bout to get some myself thanks
1520 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #39
NelsonV
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson & Hunt County

Google USA trail cameras or Exodust trail cameras before you buy. Warranty is unmatched.
NelsonV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #40
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
I'm thinking about trying a couple of these. I'm tired of buying so many AAs.

I have couple of the browning strike force and went through the circus of trying to get them to take night pics. Several software upgrades later they want me to send two of them in to replace.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #41
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I'm thinking about trying a couple of these. I'm tired of buying so many AAs.

I have couple of the browning strike force and went through the circus of trying to get them to take night pics. Several software upgrades later they want me to send two of them in to replace.
Mine was weird. First time out they were all black next time out all good and have been since
Old 05-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #42
KMO8204
Four Point

Hunt In: Junction, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonV View Post
Google USA trail cameras or Exodust trail cameras before you buy. Warranty is unmatched.
I just bought two Exodus cameras to try. They were running a 20% off special to celebrate their one year anniversary. They have a 5 year fully covered warranty and 50% off in the event of theft. Hopefully I'll be able to give a review in a few days when they show up.
KMO8204 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #43
Huntsman1998
Four Point

Hunt In: Rock Springs, Texas

I love my moultrie 1100i takes great pics
Huntsman1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #44
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mine was weird. First time out they were all black next time out all good and have been since
That's how these last two are. Work great 4-5 times then go black the next time I check them.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #45
gingib
Pope & Young

That spypoint solar looks awesome EXCEPT for night time pic quality which looks to suck. Big turn off for me as good night pics are a must
Old 05-26-2016, 01:26 PM   #46
RMW
Ten Point

Quote:
That spypoint solar looks awesome EXCEPT for night time pic quality which looks to suck. Big turn off for me as good night pics are a must
Where did you see the night pics? I haven't seen any sample pics anywhere online. If this is true I guess I'll have a trailcam for sale on the cheap. Camera won't be sent to me till first week in June.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #47
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Where did you see the night pics? I haven't seen any sample pics anywhere online. If this is true I guess I'll have a trailcam for sale on the cheap. Camera won't be sent to me till first week in June.
Just put mine out a few days ago will check it this weekend and post some night pics.

The night pics I have seen posted have looked ok online. Some maybe looking for photo competition quality versus game cam useable quality.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #48
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

I just bought a factory refurbished Browning Strike Force on Ebay for $79.99 with free shipping. I tested it for a few days in my backyard and it worked great. Put it out at the ranch a couple weeks ago but I haven't been back to check it since so no idea how it's performing out there.

Looked brand new though, the dealer on ebay had hundreds of the refurbished ones in stock for $79.99

I actually had a $15 off coupon on ebay so I snuck out at $65
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #49
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-STR...YAAOSwDuJW2G4M
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #50
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurray View Post
I just bought a factory refurbished Browning Strike Force on Ebay for $79.99 with free shipping. I tested it for a few days in my backyard and it worked great. Put it out at the ranch a couple weeks ago but I haven't been back to check it since so no idea how it's performing out there.

Looked brand new though, the dealer on ebay had hundreds of the refurbished ones in stock for $79.99

I actually had a $15 off coupon on ebay so I snuck out at $65
That's probably all the ones they got back not taking night pics. If they got them all fixed that's probably a good deal.