Hunting Accuracy/Proficiency ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Accuracy/Proficiency ?

How many believe the 9" paper plate thing is a fair assessment for adequate hunting proficiency?

Rick

With a rifle, yes. With a bow, eventually but with the risk of losing the animal. For archery the goal should be more like a 4” plate or a tennis ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think 9" is too big - for my comfort level anyway. I have 4" bulls on my target face.I don't feel confident from a given distance unless during a practice session almost all my arrows are in that circle with "flyers" only 1" or so outside. 9" at an static plate is one thing, too much margin for error on an animal.

Comment

I'm talking about 20 yards.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post

Rick

Poorly placed arrow is a poorly placed arrow regardless of how far it traveled

Comment

I've never seen a round vitals on an animal. I would say a rectangle 6" wide by 10" tall would be my preference. This at any range where your arrow still has sufficient penetration for the size animal you're shooting (and you feel lucky)

Comment

Rick
              tennis ball size

Comment

So, if a 9" paper plate is to big - how many can keep all their arrow on one from 20 yards, or to make it even simpler, how many can do it from your preferred hunting distance?

To make sure you understand - I don't care, and I'm not in favor of proficiency tests of any kind. I'm in favor of common sense, where a hunter limits hinself to a shot distance he knows he can make with confidence.

This question was just posted out of curiosity is all.

Rick

Comment

The assessment I use for hunting proficiency isn’t group size, it’s distance. I’ve lost deer that I have shot in the past and it really makes me feel awful. I only shoot at a distance that I feel 100% confident that I will put the arrow where it needs to go. For me that is half of 20 yds and less. I let some good ones walk this year, but no regrets next they’ll be bigger. A mans gotta know his limitations and I’m certainly not the best shot out there . Pie plates don’t make my heart pound and my knees shake!
                  Last edited by chuckc.; 02-14-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                    I only shoot at a distance that I feel 100% confident that I will put the arrow where it needs to go.
                    YES !

Rick

Comment

Rick
                      I can keep it on a 9" plate from 20 and do pretty well on 3d animals at that distance. However I don't have the confidence to shoot a deer at that distance. If the deer moves at all it could be a bad shot I'd want back.

Comment

What I would tell folks is.......
                        Take your 3-D target and lean it against your wife's car.
                        The distance you are willing to shoot at it is a safe distance to shoot at deer

I my younger days I traveled for a living.
                        I used to put a bag target against the bathroom mirror in the hotel room and shoot at it to practice my form.
                        That will make you slow down and make good shots as well

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                          I used to put a bag target against the bathroom mirror in the hotel room and shoot at it to practice my form.
                          LOL, I did the same thing.

Skipped a lot of lunch breaks, and shot the bag at roadside parks too.
                          That got me into some trouble a couple of times, but nothing serious.

It's funny what you'll do just to get to shoot a little.

Rick

Comment

I like it
                            Originally posted by Buff View Post
                            What I would tell folks is.......
                            Take your 3-D target and lean it against your wife's car.
                            The distance you are willing to shoot at it is a safe distance to shoot at deer

Comment

9" plate is smaller than some realize at 20 yards. It is not much different than the back of the shoulder to back of the lungs on a whitetail. There is a park near Pittsburgh PA that has a proficiency test to be allowed to hunt it. Many compound archers couldn't hit it at 20 yards, that's scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X