I broke out the old AE-1 Programmable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I broke out the old AE-1 Programmable

I've had this camera for about 30 years, maybe a little less. I've enjoyed photography for a long, long time. I've finally got a little time to spend on photography again. So, i dusted off the old boy, and snapped a few today while at the lease in Parker County filling feeders. These two came out really well. I did enhance them some with Microsoft Picture Manager. But these are not too far different from the prints. Mostly brighter. For some reason, my brightness is lacking in the camera, Maybe, like me, in its' old age, it's just not as bright as it used to be.

These aren't in the class of many of the pictures we typically see here, but for an old guy with shaky hands, and an old film camera, i'm pretty happy with the first effort in a long time. Thank you God for doing the hard part, and thanks for letting me enjoy it with an old friend...
    Attached Files

Ah, the old AE1. That is the camera that got me started in photography 34 years ago. I started shooting for the high school paper and at that time we developed all of our own film in the darkroom we had at school. I still have the camera, lenses and flash.
    While there have been many camera bodies come and go since then, this one I will keep forever.

Comment

Still have my first AE1. A great camera. The gearstacks(?) tended to dry out and cause the shutter and mirror to get out of sync. The cheap temporary fix was squirting naphtha in it. Sometimes it worked.

If you were looking for a good used one at a camera show, you'd put it on 1 sec and listen for that grinding chirping sound. If it did you needed it serviced. If it didn't you always smelled the bottom of the camera for the naphtha fix. Sometimes the naphtha would drip right out of the body!

WD 40 worked too. For a while.

Thanks for the memories.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
        ...we developed all of our own film in the darkroom we had at school...
        Times have changed.

My renters had a garage sale last weekend and they were selling an old enlarger, Graylab timer, and some other stuff for $20 bucks.

20 years ago they could have gotten $100 all day.

Comment

loved my ae-1's. sure do miss em.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
            loved my ae-1's. sure do miss em.
            I wish I could use the FD lenses on my Rebel. Those FD's had some great glass.

Is there an adapter available?

Comment

Working...
            X