Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking about Matthews bows... which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can get a Reezen fully rigged out with very good accessories used for $700-800 if you are looking for a little more speed over dxt or drenalin.

Ran accross several in that price range when I was looking for a new, to me, bow. Did not end up getting a reezen but good deals are
    to be had.

Comment

I love my switchback XT. I shot the Z7 last year and loved it. I want one but got to pay for the lease first.

Comment

You want to know the differences: For straight out deer hunting you haven't mentioned a bow yet that isn't extremely good.

The Outback is an extremely solid bow, it's not super fast but it is deadly accurate and fairly short A2A as well. It's a bit heavier than a DXT, but compares pretty well. It's a little stiffer into the valley, but will not creep with you at all, but isn't quite as fast. My son shoots an Outback and he's flat deadly with the thing. It's extremely quiet as well.

The Dren with it's longer A2A is said to be a bit more forgiving than the DXT, but I am not sure anyone can prove that - DXT shooters are just as good as Dren shooters has been my experience. Other than the A2A they are very similar. The speed will be pretty close to the DXT and both can be made to be very silent.

You will struggle to find a better all around deer hunting bow than the DXT. I only got rid of mine to buy an XLR8. I decided I wanted to be a speed demon for a while, and I actually love my bow. She's fast, fast, fast and a lot of fun to shoot on top of that. The DXT is very light to handle and carry and it's very smooth into the valley. It will creep on you if you're not careful, or a little long on the draw. It's one that you can set at 60 lbs or 65 lbs or 70 lbs and you may not be able to tell much difference in those settings. My DXT was easier to draw at 70 lbs than is my XLR8 at 63 lbs.

Spend some money on your sights and on your dampeners and you'll get a very quiet, very accurate bow that is a lot of fun to shoot. Buy plenty of arrows because you're going to ruin some in short order.

Comment

I tested the DXT, Drenalin, and Reezen 6.5 side by side one day and ended up buying the Drenalin. IMO the DXT was to short on the ATA, I feel more comfortable with the longer 33-34" bows. Then I felt the Drenalin was easier on the draw and quieter than the Reezen.

Now off to the Z7 which is a fantastic bow, my uncle just bought him a new one, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade my Drenalin for any of the newer bows.

Comment

you cant go wrong with most of them. I shoot a Drenalin. Was going to upgrade to a Monster but didn't like the aggresive cams. You cant draw them slow and quite cause they have a hard breaking point. Staying mine for now.

Comment

Honestly, I went with a Mission Eliminator. Almost identical to the DXT and right on par with the speed and about $250 less. The mission line is made in the same factory as Mathews on the same machines and by the same individuals. Just that Mathews has higher line bows, but for the DXT and Drenlin, you can get them alot cheaper by going Mission. I mean if you want the Mathews name by all means go for it, but I just cant see paying the premium for the name when essentialy getting the same bow for alot less money. Same warranty etc...

Comment

A little background, I was a true blue Hoyt fan, and never owned anything other than, wanted to see what all the rage with Mathews was about, I like a little speed in my bow after reading numerous reviews and posts on how bad folks thought the Reezen was...I bought one and love it, truly the best bow I've ever owned, and with that said every review I ever saw on the DXT and the Drenalin were nothing but compliments, so even if it is half as good folks claim it to be, I would think either of these would suit you. Additionally having purchased my Reezen on ebay, I can tell you the market is flooded with the DXTs, Drens, Reezens, Monsters and Switchbacks as everyone is running to pick up their new Z7s. I've seen full kits go for less than 500. Good luck in your search

Comment

Sounds like you should just stick with what you've got.

Comment

Mark, that black ice you got is a real shooter! I finally jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Monster. Couldn't pass up the deal. I'm kinda the opposite of you. I don't care about smooth drawing and all of that girly stuff.....For me, it's all about SPEED!!!!

However, guys are practically giving away older Mathews bows on archerytalk for next to nuthin. I've seen pimped out DXT's go for 550-600 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      each person will have an opinion on which Mathews bow fits them best

go shoot each model and let the bow pick you

The only way to buy a bow.

Comment

thanks very much - this has all been very helpful.

would like to hear more about axel to axel - A2A as some put it. is longer better? how does this affect how a bow shoots, feels, draws, etc?

Comment

I love my Drenalin! 30" @ 70#.
                          I Shot a Z7 a few days ago and it seemed like the Drenalin was smoother draw.
                          I considered buying it but had to stay with the Drenalin!

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to say it...or should I say spell it...

Comment

Switchback, Legacy, and DXT are all top notch bows, and were the best at the time of their release. I shot a Legacy for years and have yet to find a smoother shooting bow. You can pick one up used fairly cheap. The SB is also top notch. I made a mistake and shot a friends DXT and fell in love. I am in the process of putting a 24" cam on my Legacy and handing it down to my son.

Comment

thanks everybody for the help. keep it coming!
                                Last edited by Mark44; 02-22-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X