Need longbow information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need longbow information

Does anyone else own a 66" Legacy Heritage Series (45# @ 28")

I bought mine new, but I didn't get any literature with it. I am wondering about the string length. From the PSE website, it appears that the brace height should be 6.5" to 7", but mine is about 7.25". I have untwisted the string as far as it will untwist, but it doesn't change much. Is the brace height that critical? If so, what string length should I get? The one on it is about 32 3/4".

Brace heighth is critical when trying to fine tune the bow. The actual string length should be about 3-4" shorter than the actual length of the bow. The string should have between 2-3 twists per inch. Sounds like your string may be a little long.

Comment

wouldn't a shorter string increase the brace height? It is already greater than what the manufacturer states.

Comment

yep your right....you need a little longer string especially if there are no twisits in it already.

Comment

Brace height is critial to making your bow shoot it's best. If you distance is off, you may get bad flight, and you may have extra noise.

I don't know what your bow will like best, or what the manufacturer suggests, but most of my bows shoot best between 7 and 8.

Comment

Heck if it is 7 1/4, and they suggest 6 1/2-7 inches. I would shoot it if it is a new string and stretch it out a little. I bet you 7 1/4 would not be to far from where you want it anyway. They tell you shorter so they get a faster cast with an arrow. Most of the time the longer brace hieght gives you less handshock and less noise. But if your arrows show that they are weak you cannot adjust for that anymore through your string. So stretch it, and if it shoot fine, let be.

Comment

Mine shoots best at 7 1/8, but I have seen some longbows that shot a little over 8 inches also.

Comment

I just got back from the shop. My bow has this written on it: 66" / 45#
                The guy there said that the 66" is AMO length, so I picked up a 66" AMO string, and it is the same length as my other, minus some stretching. For a 66" bow, you use a 66" AMO string? Is this correct? I know I must sound like an idiot, but I really don't know much about longbows.

Comment

you are correct. Hope this is not confusing. But I have ordered strings before that were the same length. One was twisted properly and would fit the bow precisely. The other one when ever it was all the way untwisted was still not reduce my brace heigth. The string was not built properlly. Could this be the case with yours. Will the new string allow you to get to the proper Brace height and still have 2-3 twists per inch even though it is the same length as your old string?

Comment

if your still having probs give me a call on my cell 713-819-1813 around 4:45 pm today

Comment

longbow strings

the AMO 66 inch length does NOT mean that the string is 66 inches long. Someone may correct me on this, but my longbow strings are actually 3 inches shorter than the AMO bow length. For instance, my Massie Longhorn is 64 inches long, but when I order a new string for it, I get a 61 inch string.

These strings I talk about are flemish twist strings, not endless loops, so my advice may not be too helpful. Best of luck with your tuning. I would reccommend paper tuning with fletched arrows to adjust things such as spine of arrow, nock point, etc. keep us posted with your progress.

Brett

Comment

Thanks for the info folks. The strings are about 3" shorter than what the bow says on it, so I guess they are the ones that are supposed to go on it. I was just concerned that the larger brace height might damage the bow. The string does appear to be stretching, so I will watch it to see how it goes.

Broken Arrow, thanks for the offer! I was out hunting this afternoon, so I didn't have a chance to call.

Comment

Working...
                        X