Nilgai gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai gun

Just see what different calibers people have killed nilgai with. Caliber and bullet would be great. I am wanting a new gun and trying to decide on caliber. Also looking for something light weight that can be packed around.

just use a good bullet for pass through since their heart and lungs are pushed farther up in the chest cavity.

nosler accubond, barnes tsx, etc.

caliber can be pretty much anything above a .243.

Comment

I can't directly answer as I have never shot a nilgai. But I have read about calibers to use on them before. Like anything else, I anticipate that there will be some debate on the topic. My guess is most people will say you need a minimum of a 7 mag and would prefer to use a 300 win mag or 300 wsm. Then there will be some that will point out that elephants can be killed with a rimfire 22. And of course, caliber doesn't matter as much as shot placement and bullet choice.

If it was up to me, I would probably go with a 300 WSM in a Tikka but I have no experience with shooting a Nilgai so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Comment

Most places require you to carry at least a 30 caliber.

I have not killed one, but shot placement is key, as with any animal. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 7mm/280 caliber myself.

Comment

Yeah I've researched and researched but still cant make up my mind..lol

I'm leaning towards the old trusty 30-06. but a 7 mag or 300 wm are not out of the question.

Comment

My dad killed his with a 338 federal

Comment

300 wm or 338 wm work well. That is what we used.

Comment

I'm no help

I remember reading a thread on here last year where someone was sharing there African Safari success with us.
                If memory serves he brought a 300WSM and a 28 Nosler.
                From my recollection the 28 Nosler anchored them better...

Let me see if I can find the thread
                Here it is.

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 10-29-2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

i guess the question also comes down to where you are hunting them. in Africa or on a game ranch in Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                    Most places require you to carry at least a 30 caliber.
                    Good point. If you know where you are hunting them, you may check to see if they have a minimum caliber requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                      i guess the question also comes down to where you are hunting them. in Africa or on a game ranch in Texas?
                      S. Tx Laguna Atascosa

Comment

I killed mine with a 300 Win. Mag. and 180 gr. federals

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                          S. Tx Laguna Atascosa
                          then, i'll say again shoot a good bullet designed to penetrate and you'll be fine. i have a 7mm-08 that i love. Nosler accubonds will punch out both shoulders of most things.

Comment

I'm partial to the big 30s for game that size. I would be taking my Weatherby Vanguard
                            Wilderness 300WBY if I were chasing those. Loaded with 180g Barnes TTSX and at 8.5 lbs fully rigged it won't weight you down, just kicks like a stubborn mule.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                              Yeah I've researched and researched but still cant make up my mind..lol

I'm leaning towards the old trusty 30-06. but a 7 mag or 300 wm are not out of the question.
                              I'd use the 30-06 if that's what I was most confident in. 180 grain premiem bullet should do it. If all else fails just shoot it in the neck haha
                              Last edited by Jared.King; 10-29-2018, 09:44 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X