X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girl Thwarts Mountain Line side discussion

I've never been in this situation.
    I've never hunted Mtn Lions.

Couple questions for those that have seen the video and hunted Mtn Lions.

1) Could it have been a mom protecting a den?

2) Could it have been protecting a recent kill?

3) How does one know?

4) If I ever get in a similar situation would it be wrong for me to turn and back out?

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

3) How does one know?

4) If I ever get in a similar situation would it be wrong for me to turn and back out?
    Yes, on all accounts. Either way, your life is more valuable than it's life so take precautions and measures to protect yourself. Cat's and Black Bear: don't turn your back. Stand your ground or back away slowly while facing the animal. In her situation, I might have fired a warning shot the first charge......but everyone's an expert after the fact. She did a fantastic job and held her composure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      Yes, on all accounts. Either way, your life is more valuable than it's life so take precautions and measures to protect yourself. Cat's and Black Bear: don't turn your back. Stand your ground or back away slowly while facing the animal. In her situation, I might have fired a warning shot the first charge......but everyone's an expert after the fact. She did a fantastic job and held her composure.
      [emoji1303]
      Thank you Sackett

Comment

Never turn your back and run, try to look and sound big and do not turn your back or run, they will chase you down.
        Cats and bears may make a bluff charge but at 8 yds I wouldn't wait to protect myself.

Comment

I think she did everything right other than waiting a bit too long to shoot imo. Terrain she was in looks too dangerous to back away, likely to trip on something. Warning shot with cat at 8 yards is too risky because what if it attacks rather than run away at the shot? Then you've got to hit a moving target that you weren't already aiming at with basically zero time to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

3) How does one know?

on the Rokslide thread, the dad comes back to report that Colorado Parks and Wildlife found the cat dead and it was a healthy cat..."not starving, not protecting a kill, no underlying reason for aggressive behavior"

Comment

Yall got a link to this? I am out of the loop this weekend apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                Yall got a link to this? I am out of the loop this weekend apparently.

Comment

Shoot it 14 times with your AR and scream "Orale pinche gato no mas!!!" afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Shoot it 14 times with your AR and scream "Orale pinche gato no mas!!!" afterwards
                    This is textbook for the situation but only if the cat is in Texas.

Comment

Girl Thwarts Mountain Line side discussion

Originally posted by Smart View Post

[emoji23][emoji23] Only logical response IMO

Comment

I'm not questioning her actions. They were appropriate to her and her situation. I have no clue what I'd do if I was faces with that, that's why I started this thread. I didn't want to hijack the other one.

Interesting replies so far.

Reading the replies made me wonder if it's possible to be to big and tall.

Instead of standing your ground, so to speak, if you get to big and tall could that make the cat or bear feel threatened and they attack as a defense.

I'm 6'7" and weigh in about 330 lbs. Mostly fat, but that's another discussion [emoji33].
                        When I decide now is enough. My demeanor generally turns aggressive and on the attack.

This is highly intriguing to me.
                        Last edited by Pushbutton2; 11-16-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I think an early warning shot might have worked.
                          Or not. But it’s the first thing I thought of.
                          Monday morning QB

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            Originally posted by wytex View Post
                            Never turn your back and run, try to look and sound big and do not turn your back or run, they will chase you down.
                            Cats and bears may make a bluff charge but at 8 yds I wouldn't wait to protect myself.
                            Exactly! Never turn and run from a predator. That will trigger their chase instinct. Bad juju when that happens...unless you can outrun them.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                              I think an early warning shot might have worked.
                              Or not. But it’s the first thing I thought of.
                              Monday morning QB
                              Ammo is too hard to find now days for a warning shot!

Comment

Working...
                              X