Battery blew up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So......question:

If this happened in an electric car like a Tesla, with a much larger battery, what kind of boom would that cause? [emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can a sealed or agm battery blow up?

Comment

I blew up 3 on an 18 wheeler one time.
        Volt meter read 15 - 16 volts for about a year. Kept telling him about it. He said don't worry it's fine.

Lucky [emoji849] for him, he got the call at 2 AM when I was broke down with a hot load of downhole tools going to a shut down drill rig.
        That service call was over $1,500.
        Voltmeter still showed 15 - 16 volts with the new batteries.
        Took 3 trips to the shop, they said nothing's wrong, till I found the third wire to the alternator hanging loose. Googled it and found where it went, to the voltage regulator. I connected it and volt meter dropped to 13 -14. That wire told the alternator how much charge was in the batteries. It was always reading 0 so it was trying to charge them.

Now that you've read that. If/ When you change check the voltage regulator and the wire that connects the battery to the voltage regulator.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The Rona!

Comment

It’s the battery’s way of tell you it’s time to replace.

Comment

It’s like when I eat too much queso

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                So......question:

If this happened in an electric car like a Tesla, with a much larger battery, what kind of boom would that cause? [emoji95]

I doubt those would blow up for the same reasons. Most automotive batteries, use sulfuric acid and water mixture, that surrounds lead plates. It's the sulfuric acid gas that can blow up when it boils and then ignited. I know other types of batteries can catch fire or blow up. But usually a lot less likely. I have heard of phone batteries blowing up, not sure what style of batteries those are.

I would assume they would use something other than lead acid batteries in Teslas. There are definitely better batteries out there, it would not make much sense for a car to cost, what those things cost and then have cheap lead acid batteries. On some of the hybrid cars, I want to say I saw lead acid batteries in those, but not 100% sure they were lead acid batteries, it was many years ago. I know those batteries are very expensive. I would assume the electric cars such as Teslas, use some expensive, powerful batteries, probably more like what the use in RC cars, but scaled up in size a lot. I would bet they can explode, but likely would need to be in a fire to set them off, likely be a pretty powerful explosion. If one shorted out internally or if the cables connected to them, ever shorted, they likely could get hot enough to blow up. I am pretty sure that's what causes the phone batteries to blow up, is a internal short. But I really don't know.

There are automotive batteries, such as Optima batteries, that use six spiral cells, like large C or D cell batteries, you would use in a flashlight. Opima batteries are pretty good, the will last a long time, they don't leak acid. But don't drain one down, they are junk if you do. I have seen many that got drained down till dead, they won't take a charge, for crap Sometimes you can get them to take a enough charge to start a car, but they will always be weak. I like Opima batteries, I always warn people never let them hooked up in a car with a draw on the battery, it will ruin even a brand new Optima. Since they don't have liquid acid in them, they won't give off acid fumes and blow up like a common automotive battery. But I am sure like a D cell battery, they will likely blow up in a fire. A lot of guys with race cars use Optimas, because often the battery has been moved inside the rear of the car. They don't really want a battery leaking acid, it will rust the floor, or be a potential explosion hazard. Or if the car rolls over, you will have acid all over the inside of the car.
                Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-22-2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  It’s like when I eat too much queso
                  Holly guacamole

Comment

I've had a lead-acid battery blow up on me. The manufacturer has all kinds of warnings printed right on it.

All batteries have some type of risk because they store energy. They're no different from a stretched bungee cord...the pop can hurt you.

Comment

Yep, Always where safety glasses when checking water levels or hooking up battery cables .

Comment

Originally posted by Ksig512 View Post
                        Yep, Always where safety glasses when checking water levels or hooking up battery cables .
                        Best advise on the green screen in a long time.

Comment

I blew up the battery on my aunts old Impala trying to jump it with an old John Deere tractor. I was 13 years old and I think I might have got something crossed up.

Comment

Hope everything is ok otherwise with generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Had on blow up on me while I was jumping off a forklift. The water caps hit the roof of our old shop and stuck in the insulation....it was as loud as any rifle I’ve ever heard.

It’s caused by the water getting low and the battery filling with sulphuric gas....1 spark and boom.

Hydrogen

Comment

I had that happen in my truck. It wasn’t quite as big of an explosion(not quite that much damage to the battery), but there was acid all over everything under the hood.

I had never heard of this happening before (and I’m almost 60yrs old), but after searching on the internet, found out it is quite common.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X