Pond scum - How to clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keith View Post
    I'd like to get some, too. Plus they are great eating.

I'm in Hunt county also and there are several Farm and Ranch places that sell them locally. Also, there is Texas Fishing, LLC right down the road from us that is a large fishery. Typically I pay around $11-12 per lb.

Poetry Tack & Ag will also put your name on a list and call you when they will have them available.
    Last edited by Codypatt1; 04-19-2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Most fish farmers sell them and someone probably delivers to a feed store in Sonora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Copper sulfate will only work on filamentous algae. Looking at the pics (especially the 3rd one), not sure that's what you have.

Comment

Look at aquaplant.tamu.edu

Comment

That 3rd pic looks like wolffia or lemna sp. (duckweed) instead of algae

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post

I have no clue what it is, but it is only floating on the top of the water.

It looks like someone shredded up a ton of horse apples (osage oranges) and threw them in the pond.

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                I'm in Hunt county also and there are several Farm and Ranch places that sell them locally. Also, there is Texas Fishing, LLC right down the road from us that is a large fishery. Typically I pay around $11-12 per lb.

Poetry Tack & Ag will also put your name on a list and call you when they will have them available.
                I'm not far from Texas Fishing. Might check them out if I can get this cleared up. Hopefully going to find out if there are any fish in this pond within the next couple days. I'm a bass guy though, and this pond isn't very big. Just be neat to have a few bass and sunfish in this pond for my daughter to fish one day.

Comment

If it’s duckweed, bad stuff. Only thing I’ve been able to beat that with is using Sonar. It’s not cheap either. I’d use tilapia and see what they can do

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                    If it’s duckweed, bad stuff. Only thing I’ve been able to beat that with is using Sonar. It’s not cheap either. I’d use tilapia and see what they can do
                    Man you aren't kidding, just looked it up and it is pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post

Just googled pictures of both, I agree, looks like the duckweed family to me.

Comment

Duckweed /watermeal. I use roundup custom aquatic/ terrestrial. I spray a thin layer around edge of pond as well as on top. Have done it the last 3 years with no fish dying off and killing all watermeal/ duckweed. About $80-$100. Just my experience

Comment

Oh yeah, Tyler fish farm sells Tilapia.

Comment

Send those pictures to the pondguy.com. they can tell you what it is and sell you the stuff to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Avid Hunter View Post
                              Duckweed /watermeal. I use roundup custom aquatic/ terrestrial. I spray a thin layer around edge of pond as well as on top. Have done it the last 3 years with no fish dying off and killing all watermeal/ duckweed. About $80-$100. Just my experience
                              I'll look into that, I like that price range a lot better.

Comment

Whitecap will work but it ain't cheap!

Comment

Working...
                                X