Big Lake Bottom WMA Youth Hunt Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure that question has probably came up in years past, so please reference me back to a previous thread if need be (I couldn’t get search to work on the site). My 8 year old son was drawn for a hunt (doe and/or buck) at Big Lake Bottom WMA on Halloween. I have been searching for information online about it and am looking for any advice/information that I can get. My main question is if it is “worth it” to take him. I know that it is always worth it to take a kid hunting, which I do, but I do not want to make him skip Halloween with his friends if there is an overwhelming high chance that he won’t see any deer. I want for him to have a good chance of seeing deer and enjoying himself, so that hopefully I can get him hooked on hunting. I don’t have unrealistic expectations, I just want to know what the realistic odds are of him getting a doe or shooter buck within ~100 yards. I am extremely happy about getting drawn and I have the upmost respect for the public hunt program and the men/women involved in it. I just would rather turn it down so another kid can enjoy it if this isn’t a good fit for an 8 year old.
    Also, if anyone has ever hunting it or has any information that could raise our odds it would be greatly appreciated. I know that it is prone to flooding. I have read that if they get a decent rain before your hunt it probably isn’t worth going. I have a 4wd ATV, thermo-cell, and mosquito spray, as I have heard these are necessities in this area. I also have a nice pop-up blind. My son has been deer hunting a fair number of times and I have hunted all of my life. Just as he is so young, I don’t want to give him a bad experience if possible. I am also working in touch with the people who manage this location for information also. Thank you for any help.

There's plenty of does. He will definitely have a crack at one! 100% go

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kingfisher_jr View Post
      I am sure that question has probably came up in years past, so please reference me back to a previous thread if need be (I couldn’t get search to work on the site). My 8 year old son was drawn for a hunt (doe and/or buck) at Big Lake Bottom WMA on Halloween. I have been searching for information online about it and am looking for any advice/information that I can get. My main question is if it is “worth it” to take him. I know that it is always worth it to take a kid hunting, which I do, but I do not want to make him skip Halloween with his friends if there is an overwhelming high chance that he won’t see any deer. I want for him to have a good chance of seeing deer and enjoying himself, so that hopefully I can get him hooked on hunting. I don’t have unrealistic expectations, I just want to know what the realistic odds are of him getting a doe or shooter buck within ~100 yards. I am extremely happy about getting drawn and I have the upmost respect for the public hunt program and the men/women involved in it. I just would rather turn it down so another kid can enjoy it if this isn’t a good fit for an 8 year old.

Also, if anyone has ever hunting it or has any information that could raise our odds it would be greatly appreciated. I know that it is prone to flooding. I have read that if they get a decent rain before your hunt it probably isn’t worth going. I have a 4wd ATV, thermo-cell, and mosquito spray, as I have heard these are necessities in this area. I also have a nice pop-up blind. My son has been deer hunting a fair number of times and I have hunted all of my life. Just as he is so young, I don’t want to give him a bad experience if possible. I am also working in touch with the people who manage this location for information also. Thank you for any help.
      See comment above. I forgot to quote you

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice, that's some positive news.

Comment

I enjoy hunting blb. I think he will get an opportunity and we will have some scouting info before your hunt. Is that a rifle hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            I enjoy hunting blb. I think he will get an opportunity and we will have some scouting info before your hunt. Is that a rifle hunt?
            Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Yes sir, I am assuming that it is rifle hunt but that is a excellent question. The draw category is E-postcard Youth Only Deer Hunt, not the archery category. It shows that the only means not allowed is shotguns. The hunt is not during rifle season, but I assume that since it is through TPWD and shows rifle's as an allowed means that he will be allowed to use one. Does anyone know if this is incorrect? I am in the process of contacting the manager of this area and I am sure he will be able to verify.

From the information that I can find it is a compartment type hunt. The park will be closed to the public during this hunt, with the obvious exception of the drawn hunters.

Comment

It is a rifle hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depending on where you’re hunting out there, getting off the ground might greatly improve visibility. There’s not much underbrush, but last year the ragweed/bloodweed was thick. Otherwise it’s a very open place under the closed tree canopy.

Comment

100% worth it. Dump a bag of corn in a pile ASAP. If I were rifle hunting, I would have tagged out every time i was drawn there.

That being said, it is still hunting east texas. You still can't setup in a terrible spot with a nice view, dump corn on the ground, and expect them to come running. I don't bother to hunt a spot with bait that I wouldn't be willing to hunt without bait.

The hardest part about BLB is that it is all the same. Flat ground and almost homogenous mature hardwoods. You are going to have to find an edge or a funnel of some kind. I find dense brush that grows along ditches of sorts and then find where there is a break in the cover where they are all crossing. I have had great success with that. No shortage of deer and pigs there but they are spread out because there is no reason for them to be concentrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                    It is a rifle hunt.

Sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                      Sent you a PM

Nvm I responded
                      Last edited by Phorizt; 09-18-2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

My neighbor is a single mom and her 11 year old is interested in hunting so I put him in for some hunts and he drew this hunt as well.

He’s excited and a little bummed to miss Halloween. I don’t have any ATV so that may be a bit of a challenge, but I’m hoping he has a good experience and of course any chances at deer would be great.

Comment

Excited about drawing this hunt also

Hey Guys, new to the board and so far have really enjoyed all the great info and the banter that goes along. Found the site from my son who has been lurking.

We also drew for this hunt and are excited about hunting this area. With me being a transplanted co0n***** from Louisiana I raised my son hunting squirrels and rabbits. This is his second year deer hunting and he was blessed to harvest a doe and pretty nice buck last year on invited hunts.

This year he is super excited to start bowhunting even though we are late getting started. We ordered the Infinite Edge Pro as a starter bow but we are still waiting for it to come in. Don't know how much actual hunting he will be able to do with it this year but it's never too early to start shooting and practicing.

Having said all that, thanks for the awesome site! Just a couple questions about this particular hunt -

Does anyone know if we are allowed to go a few days early for scouting? With it being a compartment hunt and I am guessing you won't know which compartment you get until the morning of hunt I'm not sure how effective two or three days scouting will be but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Also, since my son and I will be sitting together, has anyone hunted with one of the two man ladder stands they sell at Academy? If so, is it feasible to lug it into the woods for a couple days hunting and then pack it out?

Lastly, we put in for a drawn squirrel hunt for this area but they haven't drawn yet. Is this area only hunting by drawn permit or is there a time the general public can just show up and hunt?

I look forward to possibly meeting some of you guys in person at the orientation. Thanks again.

LB

Comment

Welcome TigernAggieland, although having family that went to Tulane and UT makes me wonder about your online name .

Last year, we forgot our climbing sticks and purchased a one person ladder stand at walmart. We then used it to attach our lock on stands in the tree. Usually on youth hunts the blinds are already set. You can call the number on the drawn hunt site for Big lake and ask. I believe Kyle is handling the Big Lake hunts.

If you have the APH permit, you can scout anytime the WMA is open, which is whenever no other hunts are happening or the WMA is not closed due to flooding.

There are open periods for ducks and hogs. See the APH booklet for the details. Duck hunting there is tuff as you cannot drive in during non draw hunt periods. It is basically a foot race to get to the holes.

If it is dry a 4wd will get you in. If it is wet, and it is now, An ATV is best. You can walk in. It is pretty open under the tree cover except where the ragweed grows.

You've touched a nerve on the squirrel draw. I finally drew squirrel this year but it's all the way down by houston. 4 hour drive for squirrel? If you draw squirrel here and I don't you are dead to me.

Good luck. PM me if you want and I will give you more insite.

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                              My neighbor is a single mom and her 11 year old is interested in hunting so I put him in for some hunts and he drew this hunt as well.

He’s excited and a little bummed to miss Halloween. I don’t have any ATV so that may be a bit of a challenge, but I’m hoping he has a good experience and of course any chances at deer would be great.

Good on you Army of Dad. You can walk in at BLB. It is a bit of a hike but the area is pretty much similar except for the fire brake/power line on the east side (I haven't been over there but there is a cut). You can probably drive some of the way but the dirt is that black gumbo stuff so I would avoid crossings that are not rocked.

Comment

Working...
                              X