Hunting around Cattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting around Cattle

I’ve never hunting around cattle and I set up camera last weekend. I always have deer moving into areas where I have set up cattle btw 7-7:30am and again 6-8pm unless cattle are around.
    How much of a problem do you think this is? Our land owner leased his grazing rights and it is something I’m going to have to tolerate. He has been dropping off hay to feed in an area around 400 yards away from one camera. This is where I see the most activity. Is it ethical to ask him to feed elsewhere? Any other ideas or is this really a problem?

Non issue. Build pens around feeders if they mess with them.

Comment

Every place is different, but I hate cattle...they've spooked game, emptied feeders, tore pop ups, and broke game cameras. Just my experience with them.

Comment

Have you met the grass lease guy? If not, make it a point to shake hands with him and visit for a bit. Figure out a way to work it into the conversation if that is the course you wish to pursue. I would probably look into panels and setting up a feed pen.

Comment

Build a big enough feed pen to put your pop up in also. We own land, have cows, they graze around. Deer are still there, sometimes in the same picture on cameras with cows outside the pens.

Comment

I’ve never really had a problem with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
              Have you met the grass lease guy? If not, make it a point to shake hands with him and visit for a bit. Figure out a way to work it into the conversation if that is the course you wish to pursue. I would probably look into panels and setting up a feed pen.
              This is excellent advice. He will probably be on the property every day or two and the deer will get used to his truck and honking and whatnot and pay it no attention. He might be able to give you some useful scouting info. "I can't believe how big that buck is that's always hanging around the hay barn in the middle of the afternoon".

Comment

Just a heads up. I have a feeding pen, but I am hunting funnels to and from locations as well. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

Comment

I can't remember ever hunting a place without cattle. They don't bother me. If they like to follow you to the blind or hangout by a feeder just get a sling shot and it takes care of that. I don't think you're going to have many problems though. The cows are out there every single day, so the deer are used to them. They will avoid them, but typically cows just pass through.

Comment

Lots of people have similar issues. I know of one who met the cattle man and they worked things out to minimize impact of the cattle on the hunting areas when he is hunting in October and November. Some of this means letting the hunter know that on such and such week the cattle will be fed in specified areas but at least the hunter can make plans to work around the cattleman's tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
                      Every place is different, but I hate cattle...they've spooked game, emptied feeders, tore pop ups, and broke game cameras. Just my experience with them.
                      You can do a lot to Prevent From happening.

Comment

Btw i love cattle they make me money!

Comment

There has been cows on our lease the whole 21 years I’ve been hunting and they aren’t a huge issue. They scare me a bit when I’m walking around and there is a big herd I will admit but as far as scaring deer away they are not a big deal. I personally don’t shoot around them though

Comment

Every place I've hunted the last 13 years have had cattle. As you have stated you have feed pens around your feeders so you should be OK at your feeders. I hardly hunt feeders for deer, I always hunt trails/funnels and the only time the cattle can become a issue is when I corn too heavy and it allows the cattle to eat some so they hang around longer. If you do put out bait on trails and funnels, make sure it is well spread out and then the cattle won't bother with it. Yes I will still have cattle run the deer off when they come walking through but they usually move off pretty quick and the deer always come right back unless the cattle spook the deer downwind of me. Also try not to set up in a area that has a lot of good grass for the cattle to eat because that will get them to stop and eat. If I have a spot that is perfect to set up in but has a lot of grass for the cows to eat, I bring my weed eater and cut it down. Hogs are my biggest problem because I feed all my spots and they can take a spot over in a hurry so I have to shoot every hog I can or they will ruin the spot for deer. One of my best spots on a trail, I ended up putting up a feed pen and man it made a huge difference and ended up having way more deer hitting the spot after I put up the pen because the hogs couldn't get to the corn. Basically all my spots on trails are bait spots because I hand corn them every day or every other day.

One thing I've noticed on properties that have not had cattle for at least a few years and then they are brought in is, some deer will leave if they can go somewhere else away from the cattle until they get used to the cattle. 14 years ago, I was hunting 600 acres that had not had cattle on it for about 20 years. Then the land owner bought a bunch of cattle and the deer numbers dropped like crazy for several months.

Comment

I built pens with 3 strands of barbed wire at 12” 24” and 36”. It has worked well for me 5 years now. I occasionally have a calf slip in a time or two. The cows are really a non issue and the deer have no problems getting in to eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X