Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 10-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Default Big buck vs little bucks

So I noticed from the photos on my camera that the little bucks come in early but don't come in at all when the big boys are in the area. I'm wondering if I could pattern the big boys by watching the little ones? In other words, when I don't see the little ones coming in on schedule, get ready for the big boys??

Am I over thinking this?
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
MRWHITE87
Six Point

Hunt In: Kauffman county TX./ Delores Co

Sounds like you have a hypothesis to test.
MRWHITE87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Dillakilla
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

Well if there are no little bucks, then there can only be no bucks or big bucks so sounds like a 50/50 chance.
Better test it out to see.
But yes your overthinking it. I know cuz I do it daily
Dillakilla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

The deer around me don't care. They mingle around together but they have all broken up as of about 2 weeks ago.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

Interesting hypothesis. In my experience; little bucks still show up, but move on when the big boy comes to the feeder. That being said, the little bucks don't clear out unless he runs them off; they just stay out of his way.
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

https://thehuntersight.comYou could use this tool as well....$25 a year starting packages to pattern up to 1k of your big buck pictures. This would tell you the frequency of those big bucks and may help...Plus it does more than just this.

Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

I see what you did there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Yeah, it doesn't do anything to answer my question or address my theory.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #9
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
So I noticed from the photos on my camera that the little bucks come in early but don't come in at all when the big boys are in the area. I'm wondering if I could pattern the big boys by watching the little ones? In other words, when I don't see the little ones coming in on schedule, get ready for the big boys??

Am I over thinking this?
I think there is some merit in this theory. I have noticed that all the deer get nervous and the little bucks will actually leave when the Dominant buck is around.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #10
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Anderson County, Montgomery County, Rusk County, Polk County, and Throckmorton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I think there is some merit in this theory. I have noticed that all the deer get nervous and the little bucks will actually leave when the Dominant buck is around.
Yep. True at our place
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2019, 10:21 PM   #11
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
The deer around me don't care. They mingle around together but they have all broken up as of about 2 weeks ago.
Uh no. The hill country is fine. Ask me next week what is up...............
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

So yesterday when I was hunting, it was dead quiet. Even the cardinals were not fluttering around me which was highly unusual. As the sun started its evening trek below the horizon, I thought, "the king of the woods must be close. It is way too quiet." Not 5 minutes later, he showed. An upcoming 3 year old cautiously approached the feed pen but deliberately stayed away from the Big Boy.

So, I'm sticking to my theory - when the most dominate buck is close, everyone else gives him the way and it is quiet. Baby bucks stay away.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

They don’t always stay away but do let the more dominant buck have strait under the feeder.
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

The last couple mornings I hunted when it was dead quiet I didn’t see a thing . It seems if I here birds really chirping right before sun up and here quail calling I see a lot more deer .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
The last couple mornings I hunted when it was dead quiet I didn’t see a thing . It seems if I here birds really chirping right before sun up and here quail calling I see a lot more deer .
I heard long ago from the old timers. The big bucks leave before the first bird chirps
It is really hard to hunt with no wind at our place. You can fart and here it a 1/2 mile off.

Our small bucks come in first then leave when the mid size bucks force them out during the rut. That's why we scatter corn with road feeders every time around the pens during the rut.

The biggest bucks could care less if the small bucks were there. They are comforting to the BIG bucks. More of a alert system for them I think. During the rut it gets western when bucks of the same size get close to each other for sure.

Later on they all get along together. But by then the pasture grasses have died out and they are looking for hand outs. They start pounding the wheat fields and get along just fine. I ve seen 100 bucks in a field and none of them bother each other.

Last edited by Abcdj; 10-23-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #16
Stuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
So yesterday when I was hunting, it was, dead quiet. Even the cardinals were not fluttering around me which was highly unusual. As the sun started its evening trek below the horizon, I thought, "the king of the woods must be close. It is way too quiet." Not 5 minutes later, he showed. An upcoming 3 year old cautiously approached the feed pen but deliberately stayed away from the Big Boy.

So, I'm sticking to my theory - when the most dominate buck is close, everyone else gives him the way and it is quiet. Baby bucks stay away.
Well, at least one of them didnít give mine his way. Dude showed up last week with a couple of broken tines. Oh well, hope he makes it till October 2020.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top