Cooper's First Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooper's First Kill

My oldest son Cooper, who is 7 years old, has been hunting with me since he was about 2. Many of you remember this classic.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N6cIltxzxU&t"]First Attempt At Bowhunting Pigs - 3 Years Old - YouTube[/ame]

Late last season he started to show me that he was ready to take the next step and go for his first kill. He was showing me that he could sit through a whole hunt very still and quiet (with no snacks, IPad or phone). He has been developing an understanding for the way I have taught him to hunt and how we manage our properties. Most importantly, I think he understands what it means to take an animals life and the consequences of making a bad shot. I decided this season we would go after his first deer, but not before getting some practice on a hog. The problem is that he can’t pull near enough pounds to bow hunt and I’m not a gun hunter, so I don’t yet have a gun or gun stand set up for him. Luckily, my good buddy George (treestandjunky) bought an awesome crossbow for his son and is willing to let us use it.

Cooper practiced up and was shooting the crossbow very well all by himself (I only cock and load it). The hogs have pretty much taken over at my property and with the deer season fast approaching, it was time for us to go “stir” them up a bit.

The morning of September 1st, I woke Coop up at 4:30 am, we took our scent free shower, got dressed and headed to the property. Of course not before our usual stop at the corner store for “hunting morning” breakfast. I think that’s both my boys favorite part of morning hunts. We were in the blind quiet more than 30 minutes before first light, just the way I like it. It didn’t take long and we had at least 25 pigs in front of us. I made Cooper wait for ample light before getting ready for the shot. Finally, we had good light, but the chaos of 25 pigs feeding was hard for him to find one that would stand broadside and still long enough for a shot. The only one standing still enough was a GIANT boar standing directly under the feeder. I didn’t really want him to shoot the big boar for multiple reasons, with the fact that they are harder to kill being number one. Before we knew it, they ate all the corn and moved off without giving Cooper a single shot opportunity. Coop was disappointed, but understanding and still optimistic because it was early. We sat there for an hour without seeing anything and Cooper asked me to set the feeder off again. He’s a smart boy and knows what brings those suckers in. I told him I don’t like to do that, but he convinced me anyway.

Sure enough, 5 minutes after I tripped the feeder and got back in the blind, a lone boar came strolling in for a bite. Perfect! We let the boar settle in and Cooper waited for the perfect broadside shot. Finally, the boar cooperated and presented Cooper with his chance. As I was rolling camera, I talked him through it, but Coop did everything perfectly by himself and made the shot. He made a perfect shot and we watched and listened as the boar ran off and things went silent. We high-fived and celebrated in the blind as he told about how hard his heart was beating. He was loving it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_074609.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	25193702

We waited a bit for Paw-Paw and little brother to walk from the back stand location before taking up the blood trail. I let Cooper lead the way on the blood trail, which was painted and made for an easy track. It wasn’t until Coop walked up on his boar that I realized how big this sucker was. Cooper is not a big kid, but this thing dwarfed him. It was enormous (although not as big as the one we passed earlier) and had tusks bigger than I’ve ever seen. The previous property record was killed by my dad and was 145 lbs. I told Cooper he had not only beat Paw-Paw’s record, but he had also beat my all-time pig record of 170 lbs. and he was very excited. Cooper did his video conclusion, we took lots of good pics and hugged and celebrated some more.

We officially weighed Cooper’s hog and confirmed the new property record of 191 lbs. Cooper is going to get an awesome skull mount of a big tusked boar for his 1st kill. It was a fun and exciting time for the whole family. One I will never forget. I am super proud of Cooper for doing such an awesome job. I can’t wait until he gets his 1st deer.

Name:	20190901_082428_small.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	25193703

Name:	20190901_123523_small.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	25193704

Name:	20190901_124240_small.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	25193705

Name:	20190901_130124_small.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	25193706

Name:	20190901_130406_small.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	25193707

Good stuff. Big congrats to Cooper.

Comment

Does not get much better than that. Tell that young man congrats.

Rwc

Comment

Awesome! I’ve been wanting to kill me a big one like that with some color to shoulder mount.

Comment

Awesome, Great job Cooper!!!

Comment

Great experience!

Comment

Awwwwwww yeah!

Comment

You have yourself a hunter for a son. Tell him congratulations for getting such a big hog for his first kill. Will be waiting for the updates when he gets his first deer.

Comment

Great video!

Comment

Proud lil man right there and great to see this. Congratulations Cooper!!

Comment

Great hunt for him congrats!!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Way to go Cooper.

Comment

That is PURE AWESOME! Congrats to both of you.

Comment

That is awesome! Congrats Jeff

Proud dad and broke him in right with blood on the face

Comment

Working...
                              X