• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woohoo! I need to see more blood!

Comment

In!

Comment

Very fortunate tonight with the opportunity to sit at #1 stand & a great buck came in around 6:25 pm...

Will post some teaser pics tonight & give a better write up tomorrow morning with more pics

Comment

Alright Jeff!

Comment

Awesome! Waiting on more pics and write up this morning!

Comment

He wasn't joking when he said teaser pics

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                  He wasn't joking when he said teaser pics

Congratulations on a nice buck

Comment

What a hoss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I arrived at the 12’ ladder stand about 5:45 pm, hand corned the area & settled in. The NE breeze was in my face.
                      After 10-15 mins, two doe came out upwind & walked behind the feeder & into the woods. Shortly after that a 4 pointer came into the area & was feeding at 25 yards from me.
                      Eventually I caught movement of a big bodied buck in the tree line.
                      As he came in, I was reaching my crossbow. I couldn’t see him well because he came in fast & behind a few big oak limbs.
                      He pulls up next to the other buck, starts to feed & I raise up to shoot, he catches me. So I commit & engage to shoot while he jockeys his body to run.
                      I find a spot behind his front leg & release the 20” bolt with a mechanical Muzzy 125 grain head on it.
                      Both deer jump & go into a sprint for the wooded ridge to my left. I did notice an entry hole where I aimed. After running 125 yards, both stopped short of going in at a mesquite. This would be a good time to fall over, nope. He slowly enters the woods.
                      It’s now 7:00 pm, which is the end of my 30 minute wait. I get down & cannot find my bolt so I start trailing.
                      I then approach the wood line & find the mesquite tree where they stopped, no sign.
                      I walk into the woods & slowly climb the ridge. There’s the buck laying down with his jaw about 2” off the ground. He’s drowsy looking but gets up & runs down the edge of the ridge while blood blows out his right side. Immediately mark a tree with tape & back out.

I head back to camp to solicit advise from the ranch owner Tim. We discussed multiple options including waiting until tomorrow & tracking dogs.
                      We agreed to call for dogs & after 4-5 calls, no answers. Ok we’ll eat dinner & go back out ourselves.
                      Tim & I headed out about 9:30 pm & immediately find the blood trail, looks like blood coming out the entry & exit wounds. Suddenly the coyotes start howling to our right but the blood trail goes left. They’re only 75-100 yards from us in the woods, we not sure if they have found him & if we should head to them to preserve the meat.
                      We decide to continue the blood trail which suddenly turned down hill towards a pond.
                      The blood trail was starting to widen & within 30 yards we found him dead .
                      After a few handshakes & high fives, we discover the bolt entered about 3” further back then desired but left a gaping hole for an exit wound which was key to blood loss.
                      We then dragged him downhill (which was nice) about 50 yards to the side by side & headed back to camp to enjoy some congrats, pics & meat cleaning.

Thanks to Richie the birthday boy, Tim the 587Ranch.com owner, JonB for field pics, Spencer & Russell & Jason

Unsolicited, I highly recommend this ranch with nice accommodations, great feeder blind sets & ample deer.

Comment

Comment

What’s a hunt cost on this place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                            I arrived at the 12’ ladder stand about 5:45 pm, hand corned the area & settled in. The NE breeze was in my face.
                            After 10-15 mins, two doe came out upwind & walked behind the feeder & into the woods. Shortly after that a 4 pointer came into the area & was feeding at 25 yards from me.
                            Eventually I caught movement of a big bodied buck in the tree line.
                            As he came in, I was reaching my crossbow. I couldn’t see him well because he came in fast & behind a few big oak limbs.
                            He pulls up next to the other buck, starts to feed & I raise up to shoot, he catches me. So I commit & engage to shoot while he jockeys his body to run.
                            I find a spot behind his front leg & release the 20” bolt with a mechanical Muzzy 125 grain head on it.
                            Both deer jump & go into a sprint for the wooded ridge to my left. I did notice an entry hole where I aimed. After running 125 yards, both stopped short of going in at a mesquite. This would be a good time to fall over, nope. He slowly enters the woods.
                            It’s now 7:00 pm, which is the end of my 30 minute wait. I get down & cannot find my bolt so I start trailing.
                            I then approach the wood line & find the mesquite tree where they stopped, no sign.
                            I walk into the woods & slowly climb the ridge. There’s the buck laying down with his jaw about 2” off the ground. He’s drowsy looking but gets up & runs down the edge of the ridge while blood blows out his right side. Immediately mark a tree with tape & back out.

I head back to camp to solicit advise from the ranch owner Tim. We discussed multiple options including waiting until tomorrow & tracking dogs.
                            We agreed to call for dogs & after 4-5 calls, no answers. Ok we’ll eat dinner & go back out ourselves.
                            Tim & I headed out about 9:30 pm & immediately find the blood trail, looks like blood coming out the entry & exit wounds. Suddenly the coyotes start howling to our right but the blood trail goes left. They’re only 75-100 yards from us in the woods, we not sure if they have found him & if we should head to them to preserve the meat.
                            We decide to continue the blood trail which suddenly turned down hill towards a pond.
                            The blood trail was starting to widen & within 30 yards we found him dead .
                            After a few handshakes & high fives, we discover the bolt entered about 3” further back then desired but left a gaping hole for an exit wound which was key to blood loss.
                            We then dragged him downhill (which was nice) about 50 yards to the side by side & headed back to camp to enjoy some congrats, pics & meat cleaning.

Thanks to Richie the birthday boy, Tim the 587Ranch.com owner, JonB for field pics, Spencer & Russell & Jason

Unsolicited, I highly recommend this ranch with nice accommodations, great feeder blind sets & ample deer.

That’s an awesome buck congratulations. I’ll be there in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Been covered up in deer all morning. Started to draw and got busted. Deer ran out to 37 yards and walked behind some thin stuff but wasn't going to risk it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Guys I just had a full velvet 8 point come through with a fork horn. Tried to get a pic but brush between us and he was about 50 yards away.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X