Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Not Use Feeders, Cameras, etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone still just sit in a stand or blind and wait hoping for what might come along? I do use feeders and cameras currently but it is tough when trying to keep feeders full and batteries in cameras when it is a 4.5 hour drive one way to where you hunt. Feeders run dry and cameras die. Thinking about just hand Corning but if I only hand corn when I go then it is not consistent and probably won't keep any animals on my small place.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Hunt over a pond if you are in a dry area. I corned our blind that we had sitting over a stock tank and had 20+ deer. Have not sat there since but seems to work pretty well.

Comment

Barbarians!

Comment

I use feeders but that’s mostly because I now have a 9 yr Old boy and a 16yr old girl they like to hunt so I want them to have as much fun as possible while they are young so hopefully they continue to hunt later. We also have a lot of pigs and I enjoy shooting them at will. I did move to 600lb feeders about five years ago and that made life way better. I can fill once and get through season. This will be my First year not running cameras in more than 15 years. I’m looking forward to just picking a random stand and seeing what comes out and not the hassle of checking cameras and the expense of it all not to mention less time in and out of the woods stinking the place up.

Something to say about simplicity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I dont use either for the last 12 years. Killed the best 2 bucks of my life since i quit worrying about those things and i always have deer in trad. bow range.
          I buy about 4 bags of corn a year just for hand corn purposes

Comment

I prefer still hunting.

I do have one set up with a ladder stand and free choice feeder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

4.5 hour drive is why I had two feeders at each stand, one being an 85 gallon barrel that would hold 500 lbs.

Comment

I use a tailgate feeder. No other feeders or game cameras. We have hunted this way for 10 years. I got to where I enjoy going to the lease more. even more excited when I see a good buck.
                Not messing with feeders, timers, batteries, sd cards, etc has made me cuss a whole lot less.

Comment

No cameras here. If rifle hunting I like to walk around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                    Does anyone still just sit in a stand or blind and wait hoping for what might come along? I do use feeders and cameras currently but it is tough when trying to keep feeders full and batteries in cameras when it is a 4.5 hour drive one way to where you hunt. Feeders run dry and cameras die. Thinking about just hand Corning but if I only hand corn when I go then it is not consistent and probably won't keep any animals on my small place.

Does anyone else have this problem?
                    I do not use feeders. I hunt terrain features, scrapes, food sources(food plots not included)
                    Cameras, yeah I love them. one set of batteries lasted about 8months. Summertime is the worst on batteries.

Comment

We used to run both in Brady now we just run Feeders. 4.5hr drive

@ the house I run both. 10 minute drive

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Buy big feeders and be done! Simple solution

Comment

I do not use either simply because I don't like hunting over feeders and like the mystery of not knowing what deer are out there.

Comment

I use both. But cameras are a double edged sword. They give a really good idea of what is coming around so you can more easily target individual animals but they take a lot of them mystery out of it. Seems like I have less excited anticipation using cameras. But I will keep using them because I love pulling a card and "hunting" through pictures.

Comment

I hunted a place for years in east Texas and never saw a single deer at the feeder. I had a feeder because of lease rules though. I would run a camera and get a few pictures of little bucks mainly young deer and 1000 hogs. Deer didn't "stay" in that area. It was heavy pine thicket and just didn't have the habitat to hold deer. However, during the rut, it was a key travel area for ranging bucks due to location of some high fences and bucks would push does into they area once paired up. So, I would corn the heck out of shooting lanes to get the deer to stop long enough to judge them and get a shot.

It was a productive lease but frustrating because I wouldn't have pictures on cards or regular deer in the area to keep my hopes up.

Comment

Working...
                              X