parents supporting grown kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post

Do you work? School choice is also important. Even at $600/month that’s $7200/year or 28k for a four year degree assuming you go to school during the summer as well. $28k is manageable if you budget. I owed $10k when I got out of school, it was paid off in less than a year. I did not buy anything until it was gone. I made a good wage and lived in a one bedroom apartment and drove a 15 year old truck. You have to want to pay it off. My frustration is more with the kids graduating with over $100k in debt with no intention of repaying.

I’m road and bridge inspector. Have a respectable income for a 25 year old without a degree IMO. What I see wrong though, is that if I didn’t work at all I could receive much more in financial aid paying virtually nothing while in school, but when I graduated I’d be screwed because I’d have no work experience. So it’s a double edged sword. You can pay off your student loan debt, but even good people don’t get good jobs. College is nowhere near as affordable as it once was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are plenty of $8.50 to $12.50 an hour jobs out there. Trouble is none of them will give you 40 hours a week and that isn't enough to live on. Companies have learned how not to pay health care and other benefits. Kids don't have the same work ethic my generation and our parents generation had. It's quite frustrating.

Gary

Comment

Its pretty sad. i know folks in their 30s stil living at home and they work full time making like 17-20 an hr/ nothing huge but i lived on my own making less than that just fine. They simply dont know how to manage their money.

College is expensive,ridiculously. It can also be paid for by your employer if you chose a few paths, Military will happily pay for your school. Most medical fieldsd will happily pay for your school.

I had no idea what i wanted to do. took some basics right out of highschool ended up following a pretty girl and enrolling in a certificate program as an LVN (vocational nurse). takes a year after about a year of classes to be able to apply. and will cost about $2500 in school fees. make $25 or so an hr when you graduate. and get raises over time. Your new employer if you go to work for a big company will then pay for you to do your associate for your RN and you get about a $7-10 an hr raise and that will take you another year of school thats free. Then they will pay for your Bachelors which will take about another year-18months(most hospitals are actually requiring in the houston area now and have a coach for you to guide you through it and the hospital pays for it). then they will pay for your masters/doctorate if you want it.

there are plenty of fields that will pay for your school if you work for them during it. not being able to afford school isnt an excuse unless you want to go to a big 4 year university and sit on your butt and not work while your there.

of course theres plenty of fields that require no school that make good money too if your willing to work hard. no reason for anyone not heavily working towards their future to be living at home as a leech.

Comment

my daughter is too young to think about her leaving yet, but even at 4 I keep in mind that the goal of the lessons I teach her is to be able to succeed and thrive out in the world.

I couldn't wait to leave home when I was 18. I thought I knew everything and had the world by the short and curlies. I wanted to do thing my way so I joined the Navy, lol. but that put me on the path to where I am today. I did my 4 years and got out, hit a rough patch adjusting and moved back to Texas. but I only stayed at my parents house for a month before I got a $500 car and an apartment. 18 years later I out earn my dad and have 2 paid off houses and working on a 3rd.
          kids now days have it too cushy at home. they get to live by any rules they want instead of their parents rules. I wanted to make my own rules

Comment

Parents supporting grown kids just means they have raised/parented more democrats

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
              my daughter is too young to think about her leaving yet, but even at 4 I keep in mind that the goal of the lessons I teach her is to be able to succeed and thrive out in the world.

I couldn't wait to leave home when I was 18. I thought I knew everything and had the world by the short and curlies. I wanted to do thing my way so I joined the Navy, lol. but that put me on the path to where I am today. I did my 4 years and got out, hit a rough patch adjusting and moved back to Texas. but I only stayed at my parents house for a month before I got a $500 car and an apartment. 18 years later I out earn my dad and have 2 paid off houses and working on a 3rd.
              kids now days have it too cushy at home. they get to live by any rules they want instead of their parents rules. I wanted to make my own rules
              That's the biggest thing. Parenting. Can't teach kids something their parents didnt in 20 years. At least not easily.

Comment

I graduated and moved out on my own at 17. I paid for everything including a new truck and never had to go back to ask for anything. I'm thankful that my Dad started teaching me how to be a man and be responsible from a young age. My oldest daughter also graduated at 17 and has always been a responsible, mature, kid. At 18, she is now married to her high school sweetheart and they have carved out a good life for themselves. My son-n-law is in the Marine Corp and she is waiting to enter the police academy. I am proud, because at 18 & 20, they are more mature and responsible than most of the 25 year olds I see. Kids are a product of how they are raised....period. Lots of lazy parenting going on these days in my opinion.

Comment

The system the kids have to operate in also is not a well oiled machine.
                  The interest rates these kids are charged is criminal for college loans. They also have to graduate first before they can consolidate them at a lesser interest rate.
                  My boy has loans from 8% to 3.25%. Leaving school about 100k in the hole. Luckily he landed a great job and will be able to repay and take over the loan.
                  But you can get a jumbo mortgage and borrow a million dollars at 3%, but borrow money to go to college. You get hit with 8%. Very hard to get on your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    My 16 year old got home from school changed clothes and grabbed 2 fishin poles. I asked where he was going and he explained he'd had a bad week and needed to relax.

I asked him what about that fence you've been grinding to paint for pawpaw? He sighs and says yeah?

I explain everyone has bad days and sometimes you gotta work anyway. You cant just quit but the decision is yours, grind or fish.

He put his rods up and ran a grinder for a few hours came home about 7 and went fishin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    Nice........if that boy needs somemore work preping and painting pipe fence give me a call.

Comment

My kid, can live with me, as long as she likes...…….
                      I don't see her, as much as I want now.....

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                        The system the kids have to operate in also is not a well oiled machine.
                        The interest rates these kids are charged is criminal for college loans. They also have to graduate first before they can consolidate them at a lesser interest rate.
                        My boy has loans from 8% to 3.25%. Leaving school about 100k in the hole. Luckily he landed a great job and will be able to repay and take over the loan.
                        But you can get a jumbo mortgage and borrow a million dollars at 3%, but borrow money to go to college. You get hit with 8%. Very hard to get on your feet.
                        It's a higher rate due to higher risk.

I graduated college in 2009 with over $110k in debt. Didn't get a real job for 8 months after graduating(not from lack of trying). Struggled to no end for 3-4yrs to make ends meet. Learned how to cut spending, scrape by and make ends meet better than even Dave Ramsey could teach. I've since paid off all my college loans. Never lived with or off of my parents during any of this time. I borrowed $2,500 from my dad to pay 1/2 of a lawyer fee to fight a false charge that occurred 5 months after graduating college. That is the only financial help I have ever received from my parents as an adult. In my opinion, its a mentality you need to develop. I blame the parents some but as an adult you need to take some pride in yourself and quit living off mommy and daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                          Eh that’s not the exact truth. I have a semester left and my monthly student payments with financial aid is over $600. So I can only imagine what it will be when I graduate in the spring. If I don’t receive a significant raise it will certainly affect my life in a great way. The price of college is much more than it use to be, and wages have not gone up with inflation, creating this bubble we have now.

Not trying to pick on you by any means. But that new truck in your pic. Whats that cost you a month?
                          Again not trying to argue. It's just that the younger generation has the need to have their cake and eat it too.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                            Not trying to pick on you by any means. But that new truck in your pic. Whats that cost you a month?

Again not trying to argue. It's just that the younger generation has the need to have their cake and eat it too.

$375 a month is the note. Bought it used with 80k miles on it. My truck is basically my mobile office. I get a truck allowance through work and we are required to have a “reliable” vehicle no more than 5 years old. I’m coming to the edge of that with this 2014 Silverado. I also have to have insurance for contractors which is ridiculously high so the allowance covers the note and insurance but I pay out of pocket for the fuel regardless of the jobs I have to go to.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post

If I could continue to drive the 2007 Silverado I previously owned with 240k miles on it I would. It was long paid off and running fine but I didn’t have a choice. I know what you’re saying though. I know plenty of people bitching about money who drive a 2019 truck and wear luchesse boots. It’s Justin’s and Wranglers over here.

Comment

I've told my 14yr old son that his high school graduation gift is a set of luggage and that he needs to figure out where he's going. College, military, trade school or job are all valid choices. It's his choice he just can't stay here unless he's going to college locally.

My daughter can stay as long as she wants! :-)
                                Last edited by BigL; 04-27-2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X