Watch the cows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch the cows.

Something an old hunter once told me and I have found to be true more often than not. If you are hunting around cattle, they can give you a good idea of deer movement. If they are laying in the shade then the deer are likely doing the same. If they are all up, feeding or traveling to a new area the deer are likely moving as well.

So when you are hunting, watch the cows.

There’s probably some truth to that. Both cows and deer will feed for a set amount of time and then chew cud and digest before starting the cycle over again.

Comment

Grandpa always told me if the cows are laying the fish aint biting but if there up then the fish will bite good. We always checked the cows on the way to lake conroe. Same scenario pretty much lol. I never paid attention if it worked or not lol, just remember Grandpa telling me this everytime we went lol.

Comment

Too bad the deer aren't under my feeder when the cows are too!

Comment

Really? I have paid attention to this for many years as well. Not to discount your view, but I have found it to be an old wives tale. I always wanted there to be truth in it though. It might have saved me some bad hunts. But as the old saying goes, a bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work.

Comment

Relates to lunar patterns.

Comment

Yea heard the same thing from an old rancher in the hill county 45 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have found it to be true more often than not.

Comment

I’ve gone by it for as long as I can remember and I’ve seen a correlation.

Comment

Been true in my experience as well. It really is about the moon though. The cows can help if you don’t know the lunar activity calendar

Comment

I believe it. And I believe the lunar position affects all of us creatures.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                        Grandpa always told me if the cows are laying the fish aint biting but if there up then the fish will bite good. We always checked the cows on the way to lake conroe. Same scenario pretty much lol. I never paid attention if it worked or not lol
                        Ive payed attention. I'll pass it down to my kids as well just to keep the tradition going and just keep my results to myself.

Comment

Same thing my grandpa told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cows are dumber than a box of dirt. But God put certain things in their brains (like complex solunar tables).
                            I know that in windy conditions, pilots of old would 'buzz' a runway before landing to see which way cows around it were facing because the cows would instinctively face away from the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I have found it to be true more often than not.
                              This! Also heard armadillos will be moving.

Comment

Working...
                              X