Teenage boys and car insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teenage boys and car insurance

Well, it's that time. Insurance figured out my kid has a drivers license, and his coverage adds about $300 per month to my monthly tab.

What do poor folks do? Do they not have insurance? Do they not let their kids drive?

Today I told the lady that insurance charges like that are a racket targeting middle class and up who can afford the payments.

I've got another kid on deck as well. $600 a month for them to drive back and forth to school is ****ed ridiculous.

Not much you can do rather than make sure the vehicle they are listed on is an older one that is paid for and only put liability on it.

Comment

How do some of these people afford the insurance and the new cars/trucks these kids drive now days? Lots of $70K 4X4 trucks in those school parking lots.

Comment

I think it added $240 for our son and $170 for the girl. I gave them their vehicles, they had to work and pay for their gas and insurance......most of the time.

Comment

Yep, it's pretty ridiculous. I've still got two more still at home to go through this with. With my 21 year old daughter, I paid the insurance but she worked part time to pay the very small car note each month. We wanted her to have some skin in the game and learn some responsibility. Maybe encourage your son to work part time to pay for at least half of the insurance each month. Once they're to driving age, they're not far off from paying all of their own bills anyways so it gets their toe in the water. I have a sophomore daughter and a freshman son who aren't far off from driving and they will be required, just like their older sister was, to help in some way. Even though we could cover it all, I think I would be doing them an injustice to not start teaching them about bills and working to pay them now. Growing up, I bought my own first car, paid my own insurance, and any fuel or maintenance expenses that came along with that because we were poor and if I wanted to drive that's what had to happen. I'm not going to make my kids foot the whole bill, but they will have to help in some way. In my opinion, they need to understand that driving is a privilege that's not free.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
            How do some of these people afford the insurance and the new cars/trucks these kids drive now days? Lots of $70K 4X4 trucks in those school parking lots.
            Yes- This!

Comment

Get them a flatbed pickup to drive and put it on a commercial license I believe is a way to get around some of that.

Comment

My deal with all three of my boys was we will provide their first car if they get a job and pay for their own insurance. The first two were working the day they turned 16, last one is 17 now and the car is sitting out front but he's still got no job so he's not driving yet.

Comment

When our kids were growing up we told the them we would pay for their gas but they had to work summer jobs to save up for the insurance.

Comment

Just went through this yesterday. My youngest got his license yesterday and it raised our insurance an extra 1800 a year. Man my arse is sore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had mine doing part-time work, odd jobs to help with the upkeep, gas, and ins. to help them understand that driving is a privilege and not a 'right'. It is a part of them growing up and learning to be responsible. There were some bumps in the road that were lessons learned and in the end everything worked out fine.
                      I have three that were spread out 18 yrs. from when the first one started driving until the last one got off of my insurance. We did a lot of sacrificing and praying.

Good luck with your journey.

Comment

With most companies they just need to be listed on a vehicle. They can drive any on the policy. Mine is listed on my 2000 Wrangler liability only. The comp/collision is what’s high. Hope this helps.

Comment

I would second Mohawkman. Are you putting your kids will full coverage on an expensive car? I had a beat Blazer, and I was listed as a secondary driver, liability only, and it was significantly cheaper than if I was the primary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                            Well, it's that time. Insurance figured out my kid has a drivers license, and his coverage adds about $300 per month to my monthly tab.

What do poor folks do? Do they not have insurance? Do they not let their kids drive?

Today I told the lady that insurance charges like that are a racket targeting middle class and up who can afford the payments.

I've got another kid on deck as well. $600 a month for them to drive back and forth to school is ****ed ridiculous.
                            I'm not sure how this targets the middle class, there are options.

Its all about liability, new drivers tend to cause more claims. Hot rodding, texting, delayed reflexes and such. The other option is the big yellow bus that our taxes pay for anyways, my kids had the option to ride the bus or work to cover your insurance. I worked to cover mine in HS and my kids both worked to cover theirs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                              With most companies they just need to be listed on a vehicle. They can drive any on the policy. Mine is listed on my 2000 Wrangler liability only. The comp/collision is what’s high. Hope this helps.
                              In Texas our ins company explained you cant designate cars anymore for teenagers to drive. They have to be insured on every vehicle on the policy. Its not like it was 25 yrs ago. To many wrecked mom and dads cars and were not insured.

Maybe one of the few ins guys on here will chime in and explain.
                              Last edited by hogslayer78; 05-19-2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X