Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rasp knives

Who does custom rasp knives on here?

I found a guy who did them but says he isn't doing them right now. Is anyone else on here doing rasp knives?

Comment

Ckosik does

Comment

I do

Comment

Comment

I got a hidden tang model in the works now and another couple on the bench cut and waiting to be ground.

Comment

I've been know to make a few.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Comment

Awesome thank you guys. Anyone else feel free to post up to. I am in the shopping stages and know what I'm looking for just have to decide who's building it.

Comment

Those raspy blades are saweeeeet

Comment

few more

Comment

That last one IS BAD!!!!!!!

As in I like it

Comment

thanks,I forged the curve in that one,all the teeth curve with the blade

Comment

Some of you have asked me why I don't use rasp or files, this is the reason why I don't. I used to make them years ago, the more I studied the mechanics of the blade and how a blade is supposed to glide through what it was cutting without restrictions. Each grind has a specific purpose, be it a hollow, flat, scandi, or concave grind each is designed to cut with ease. Some are for skinning so a hollow grind is better, for slicing then a high flat is better, camp knives or carvers work better with a scandi grind and concave best of choppers. Also files and rasp knives are made from 1095, W-1 or W-2 super high carbon content, I found that the pits in the files are areas that collects moisture leaving you with a rusty blade. So I would grind off all the tool marks so I could put a high sheen to close up the pores and so I could blue them... It didn't take me long to figure out that starting out with high carbon steel ready to work saved me tons of time.
                            I know many well-known successful knife makers that have based their whole business on them and do very well, it's just my preference not to use them.
                            These are the last of the rasp and file knives I made. You can see how why I quit making them.

Comment

I agree with Bob. Other than looks, there's no good reason to use them. They're a lot of work, too. You have to anneal them, straighten them, grind the teeth down, and normalize them. You don't have to do all that with bar stock. People do like them, though, and I have to admit I like the idea of recycling used rasps for other purposes.

Comment

Working...
                              X