Hard Freeze & RV's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Freeze & RV's

Just a quick tip. You can get a leak any where in your plumbing in a RV, but the water valves on toilets & plastic water filters have a high probability of cracking & leaking from a freeze. Also checking outside showers. Hopefully everyone will have minimum to no damage

I drained everything I could think of and put antifreeze down the sinks. I think tomorrow is pressure up day to see what I forgot.

Comment

I have thought about pressuring up too just so I don't find them in a couple of weeks when we are in it. I blew everything out and poured antifreeze as well. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
        I have thought about pressuring up too just so I don't find them in a couple of weeks when we are in it. I blew everything out and poured antifreeze as well. We shall see.
        That is about the only way to get the water out of a toilet water valve is to blow it out with air

Comment

We are heading down to check ours this weekend. We shall see if my efforts Wednesday before last worked. I’ll more than likely wait to turn the water on Saturday morning in the daylight.

Micheal

Comment

I didn't get to mine in time to do anything to it- it's in covered storage with the north/south/east side blocked from the elements. I brought it home yesterday and hooked it up to water and ran it with the water heater on- I have not found any leaks yet....Lord help me. We are going out this weekend, so I'll have a chance to further inspect now through our trip. If I come out of this without damage, it was purely Divine intervention.

Comment

Guys the good lord was looking out for me and my lease buddies. We were not able to get to the ranch before the storm shut down I10 to drain our campers. Water was turned off and we had opened our faucets and water heater but not drained the lines. One guy didn't even open his faucet just turned off the water. We are in Sonora. I just knew everything was going to be blown out. Well I made it out there yesterday and I honestly don't know how but nothing was broken not even the guy who didn't open his faucets, they were all good including the toilet valves. Our rancher said his thermometer at his house on the hill read -1 so I know down in the valley we were probably around -5 or so without the Windchill. The good lord was defiantly looking out for us!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
                Do you just pour antifreeze down the drains through sinks? I drained all my lines, but didn’t do the antifreeze.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                  Do you just pour antifreeze down the drains through sinks? I drained all my lines, but didn’t do the antifreeze.
                  Yeah, it's the red or orange colored that indicates it's for RV's.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                    You can fill p-traps with antifreeze, but if you want to get antifreeze into water lines. Drain & bypass water heater, drain water lines, pour non toxic antifreeze into fresh water tank and pump through your lines. Some newer systems have a antifreeze siphon line connected to the water pump so you don't have to pour into fresh water tank

Comment

I drain everything then I use one of these and use a bicycle pump to clear all the lines out. Then I just put he RV antifreeze in all the p-traps and toilet. So far so good.

Edit: I've been told to keep the air pressure at no more than 5-10 psi to avoid blowing out a line.

Comment

I checked mine over yesterday and no leaks. How I don't know because I didn't winterize anything. I got lucky because I had that toilet part freeze and break last year.

Comment

Just put water to mine and I am good to go. Small seep on w/h plug that I will address but nothing busted.

Comment

Yep freaked out myself. Took mine to Fun Town Cleburne to have roof looked at did not drain hot water tank or J traps. Got it home on Saturday all good. Took a long time to get warm water out of the water heater must have been a big chunk of ice in it. I was surprised that the toilet valve made it through too.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                              I didn't get to mine in time to do anything to it- it's in covered storage with the north/south/east side blocked from the elements. I brought it home yesterday and hooked it up to water and ran it with the water heater on- I have not found any leaks yet....Lord help me. We are going out this weekend, so I'll have a chance to further inspect now through our trip. If I come out of this without damage, it was purely Divine intervention.
                              Mine is inside a shop in limestone County. I hope I'm this lucky.

I drained and left it all open

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X