Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
    Part of my career is a high portion of HV Transmission. I can tell you right now, there are multiple power companies who have quite a few outages on transmission lines for rebuild and tie ins to new substations. ERCOT won’t allow these outages from June to September due to the high demand for electricity in the summer months. That leaves a short amount of time to get a lot of work done in times where electricity needs in Texas are generally at its lowest. And re-energizing these lines isn’t as simple as running over and flipping a switch real quick before the storm hits. So you already have that as an existing outage. Now take into account for the lines that were damaged which are out de-energized. I have crews headed out for emergency restoration right now. There is a lot more to it than what the outside see’s. The bottom line is it’s a once in a century storm that our southern infrastructure wasn’t prepared for. No different than Oklahoma doesn’t prepare for hurricanes.

Quality info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
      Part of my career is a high portion of HV Transmission. I can tell you right now, there are multiple power companies who have quite a few outages on transmission lines for rebuild and tie ins to new substations. ERCOT won’t allow these outages from June to September due to the high demand for electricity in the summer months. That leaves a short amount of time to get a lot of work done in times where electricity needs in Texas are generally at its lowest. And re-energizing these lines isn’t as simple as running over and flipping a switch real quick before the storm hits. So you already have that as an existing outage. Now take into account for the lines that were damaged which are out de-energized. I have crews headed out for emergency restoration right now. There is a lot more to it than what the outside see’s. The bottom line is it’s a once in a century storm that our southern infrastructure wasn’t prepared for. No different than Oklahoma doesn’t prepare for hurricanes.

I’m sure there is more to the story as you are saying, but this is a huge failure. In the moment Texas families needed their power providers most, they were let down. I hope lessens are learned and corrective actions are addressed. I’ll hold judgment until I lean more, but I’m guessing some new leadership is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by BeerMe View Post
        I’m sure there is more to the story as you are saying, but this is a huge failure. In the moment Texas families needed their power providers most, they were let down. I hope lessens are learned and corrective actions are addressed. I’ll hold judgment until I lean more, but I’m guessing some new leadership is in order.

Always room for improvement, but historically Texans need their power providers most from June to August. As bad as this sucks, it could still be worse then.

Comment

Free market economy for all, who's with me! Supply vs demand.

The only residential customers that would be affected by rtmp adjustment would be those on market rate plans. The rest of you on fixed rate plans would never be affected by these price adjustments.

They are meant to hit industrial and commercial users who have not properly hedged their volumes.

Peace be still

Comment

You should look at the leadership that voted against fossil fuel power gen in TX, opting instead for wind or solar renewable energy. Wind turbines freeze and solar doesnt work during snowstorms.

Comment

Thats a retarded order...
              Synopsis...
              Cheap electricity...less responsiveness to emergency
              Charge more...get better responsiveness to emergency.

$1200/day actual
              $9000/day regulated cap

“Oh! Lets dial up cost and maybe we can move faster to respond.”
              CaballoCaca!

Houston city admin failed. ERCOT did its job.
              Gov Abbott said it on KVUE...”... private power companies were the failures. ERCOT did its job with what it had to work with.”

I believe him. The big city narrative will spew otherwise. My Co-op hasnt failed me yet...God bless!
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 02-16-2021, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Heads need to roll. **** poor planning for those in charge of prepping for stuff like this.

Comment

I worked10 years in electric utilities regulated. 30 yrs deregulated. Now it's a money game all at the expense of the consumers. Reliability of a product is start to finish with a purpose in mind to protect the company's infrastructure and investment for the long term. Now it handled by 3 companies. Generation transmission and distribution for short term gains. The PUC existed in both regulated and deregulation markets. Rate increases had to have PUC approval. Now rates are market driven with no concern about future reliability. Did the cost of the product to the consumer go down in price under deregulation?

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                    You should look at the leadership that voted against fossil fuel power gen in TX, opting instead for wind or solar renewable energy. Wind turbines freeze and solar doesnt work during snowstorms.
                    I hear ya. Sounds like these new sources are a liability.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post

Besides that, it takes more
                      Energy to build a turbine than it will ever produce in its lifetime.

It’s like taking the sulphur out of diesel, to make it burn 5% cleaner...which lowered mileage by 12%. Or putting ded systems on Diesel engines to reduce emissions, and creating BILLIONS of tons of waste (that took fossil fuels to make), to reduce “smoke”...not actual pollution.

****ing morons.

Comment

Truly...first world problems. I'll pay it, take my money! Just give me my heat and my microwave, and my toilet!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

It’s like taking the sulphur out of diesel, to make it burn 5% cleaner...which lowered mileage by 12%. Or putting ded systems on Diesel engines to reduce emissions, and creating BILLIONS of tons of waste (that took fossil fuels to make), to reduce “smoke”...not actual pollution.

****ing morons.

Most wind turbines pay themselves off pretty quickly it's why they are going up, I think it's a ruse by oil guys to avoid competition. Sounds like some of you don't actually like open market capitalism unless it directly benefits you, seems kind of communistic to me.

Why is an open market so bad boys? I know you guys are going to say, but wind/solar has been subsidized! Guess what, so is oil/gas, and has been since 1915, mad someone else got on that gravy train?

I'm all for removing all subsidies from all energy personally, guess what happens if you do, the price goes up across the board.

If you put wind turbines in a horrible location -- sure they suck (which is where people get this talking point, they did a test on a very badly place wind farm) -- don't do that (they are a lot better now at testing an area first).

As far as I know wind has been contributing it's share of the energy pie since this issue happened, oil/gas HAS NOT, so no idea why wind/solar is getting hammered....except the oil guys are just attacking competition, why people choose to shut down so many of the plants, that was an economic call by some energy bosses so their bonus will be bigger at the end of the year. Problem there is with people, not with solar/wind/gas/oil.

I think there is tons of oil out there, and it's great. I don't think we are even close to running out of oil. Why focus on other industries then?

A) It's driving technology advances in batteries and solar big time.
                          B) It's a form of competition
                          C) While oil/gas may last for another 100, 1000, or even 10000 (I think its more like in this realm) years why not prepare for the future now, put some nuts away for winter, help out future generations, especially if it's driving technology advances

I understand your bosses might be ****** they are not going to get their million dollar bonuses every year (instead getting half million dollar bonuses) anymore so they pump you guys with negative vibes about competition, and point out every research paper that had anything bad to say about them.

Ultimately that is what wind/solar is....competition, I thought that is a good thing in an open market?!!

Why not love ALL of the energy sources? There are a lot of statements in these threads that seem like contradictions / baseless attacks and bringing up fake news facts.

Comment

When this is over, just get a whole house generator and disconnect from the utility power.
                            Now at some point you will have to shut your system down for maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                              You are going to get the higher prices but not the latter.
                              bingo

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

****ing morons.

Agree, but they aren't going to let a good crisis go to waste. All this bureaucratic bs is making some people very wealthy. Whether it be the business sector or political. For the most part, they are intertwined.

Comment

Working...
                                X