Fill in a mud hole question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fill in a mud hole question

I need to fill in a low spot that retains water. The soil is black dirt in the Corpus Christi area. This is on a utility/GN trailer sales yard. I have made it worse this past year moving trailers through the area with a tractor. I just need a short term solution to get me to end of the year. What would be the best dirt or aggregate to dump in fill low spot? Is it better to go with rock, caliche, limestone, sand or other?

Rock would help sink into the muck and maybe get a firmer base built after a while. Might look at adding some cement or lime and change the chemical properties of of soil some to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dump a load of road base, pack it in and don't drive on it right after a good rain until it dries a little bit.

Comment

I like field stone limestone. Fill the hole up with the flatter pieces.

Comment

Crushed concrete

Comment

Crushed concrete will turn to mush seems like we used road base on our driveway seemed to work out good we are in Calallen if that helps

Comment

I had the same problem with the entrance to my property near Banquete. I had a couple truck loads of bull rock dumped there. It’s held up great, very solid and I’m not opening the gate in standing water anymore. Got it from Hennrieta Martin facility in Robstown. You will need a tractor to spread it as the rocks are 3”to 4”.

Comment

Road base and lots of it. Crushed concrete or rocks will just sink in.

Comment

We use “concrete washout” and its effective.

Comment

You got some half answers, but if your hole is deep enough, some 3”/5” rock in the bottom topped off with a good road base for a smoother driving surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      You got some half answers, but if your hole is deep enough, some 3”/5” rock in the bottom topped off with a good road base for a smoother driving surface.
                      This was my intention. Put the rock down let it sink in and top it off with Caliche but it’s been a year now and the rock hasn’t sunk. Can’t come up anymore with another base with out raising the gate. At least it’s not a mud hole anymore.
                      Last edited by Muddy Bud; 01-08-2021, 09:08 PM.

Comment

it's amazing how much rock disappears, my wife and father in law gave me a ration of **** about the rocks being so rough and now they're gone.....

Comment

We had a mush hole in our yard at work, it just ate road base. I started putting big rock in it (grapefruit to football size) every time it rained and packing it in with one of the big trucks. I put 3400lbs of Rock in a 3’X3’ hole before it quit disappearing. Solid now.

Comment

3x5 then cap it with road base. You're likely wasting your time unless you can drain the hole and dry though.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                              3x5 then cap it with road base. You're likely wasting your time unless you can drain the hole and dry though.
                              Why is it better to wait until dry? Is it better to cleanout the mud and wait for it to dry then do -3x5 then cap it with road base?

Comment

Working...
                              X