Pull behind trail cutter vs compact Tractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pull behind trail cutter vs compact Tractor

I own some land that is not my primary residence. It has 3-4 acres of pasture, and some roads that are cleared. I originally thought a riding lawn mower would be perfect, but then I paid a friend to come out on his riding mower, and he had hell. So then I realized due to the terrain, and thickness, I would need a tractor with a brush cutter. Currently I'm paying someone 3 times a year to mow it with a 35 horse Kubota.
    My question is, do any of you guys have a pull behind brush cutter, and just pull it with a four-wheeler or side-by-side? If I'm only mowing three or four times a year, this seems like more fun then buying a tractor. What you think?

Not familiar with pull behind cutters. How about spraying it, kill the weeds and deer will graze.

Comment

I have a heavier built DR brush mower. I have torn it up twice now. Not intentionally. It isn't made for accidentally hitting unseen stumps. That happened twice and messed up the towing arm. If it's a nice pasture and cleaned up of any rough debris it would work well. It has been great on coarse stuff like johnson grass, ragweed and small saplings. I'm looking at getting a flail mower for the tractor

Comment

Reading that .243, makes me think a smaller tractor and a brush cutter is the right call. I was just hoping a four wheeler and a tow behind DR trimmer trail cutter would work. That way I had a 4 wheeler or side by side to play on.

Comment

We have one of these: https://www.swisherinc.com/categorie...ailcutter.html

We pull it behind our side by side and it works great. We mow native grass / brush that is chest high and it doesn't bog down at all. It's built like a regular brush hog with the swinging break away blades so it can handle saplings and stuff that would tear up a regular mower. I was pretty impressed the first time we used it, the 11.5hp is plenty of power.
          Last edited by kc95gt; 01-06-2021, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I have a small Kubota 23 hp. I bought it in 2002 and it still runs good and I use it often. It’s a second tractor now but it is good for the leases I have had in east tx. That being said I would go with s small tractor. I have replaced the water pump only and it has 3200 plus hours on it. The best $2800.00 I have spent.

Comment

Good to know tps. It sounds like the pull behind with the four wheeler or side by side is pretty rare.

Comment

We use DR rough cut at the lease and its a beast. It will shred good size saplings(2" to 3") and cut through some waist high stuff. We mow probably 2 miles of road with it and trails. I like it because it will go where the 4 wheeler can go. We have lots of places and trails we mow that a tractor can't get.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                  We use DR rough cut at the lease and its a beast. It will shred good size saplings(2" to 3") and cut through some waist high stuff. We mow probably 2 miles of road with it and trails. I like it because it will go where the 4 wheeler can go. We have lots of places and trails we mow that a tractor can't get.
                  Awesome, that is what I was thinking and hoping to here.

Comment

I have one of the swisher rough cut. Good machine. Just keep an eye on the bolts that keep the tongue attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah this is all good to hear, my fear was I didn't want to spend two or three grand on one, and it basically be me pulling my $250 Toro lawn mower with a string behind a four-wheeler

Comment

I think sunbelt and those kind of places rent them if you’d like to try one out. I rented a walk behind version with a drive train. It cut stuff my tractor couldn’t get to because of the angle and compact size. On the other hand, once I had it “tamed” the way I wanted my Kubota compact tractor with FIL and shredder was much more useful.

Comment

A ranching friend of mine just bought a swisher. He has had tractors and shredders. He is kinda cutting back on cattle and the amount of work he puts in. I believe he likes the idea of a smoother ride in the polaris. But , like I said, he just got it. So the verdict is still out.

Comment

PM sent. I built one for a friend of mine to knock down weeds/grass by his feeder and he said it exceeded expectations. Thinking about doing more and I’d love to build one for you. I sent my number in PM and can send some pics of the one I made.

Comment

I had a neighbor that used a pull behind gas powered mower that he pulled with his polaris and it seemed to work just fine, however I know it got parked at one of his ponds and he never used it for years and then someone stole it. So story is this, he used one, it seemed to work fine but he parked it for some reason. I have a boomer tractor with a 6' shredder and it is excellent for heavy grass and brush. I use a zero turn to trim up stuff and yard really neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X