Proof barrels (Where to buy?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof barrels (Where to buy?)

I have this great idea of wanting to re barrel my tikka T3 lite. Currently it is chambered in 6.5cm and I’d like to stay in the caliber. I’ve heard a lot about the prefit barrels and the DIY option, but I have a local Smith that won’t change me next to nothing to do, so dropping it off to him may be easier. Where is the best place to buy? Seems like most prices are pretty consistent, probably set by proof. Is there anywhere cheaper that I haven’t looked at??
    Attached Files

quick search and I think that is your best option-- I would call them to ensure it is in stock- I have had issues with them when ordering stocks and inventory not reflecting on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
      quick search and I think that is your best option-- I would call them to ensure it is in stock- I have had issues with them when ordering stocks and inventory not reflecting on the website.
      Thanks for looking.. Going to make some calls tomorrow, like everything else these days.. I’m sure what I want will be out of stock!

Comment

Serious question. Im new to all the gun customizing etc. and just curious what the purpose of this is?

Comment

Are you having to change the stock as well or so you have enough clearance for the thicker barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
            Serious question. Im new to all the gun customizing etc. and just curious what the purpose of this is?

A proof barrel? Looks, cooling, weight

Comment

Several things that you need to consider or be aware of before committing to your project. The Tikka T3 lite has a 22” sporter barrel that measures .610” at the muzzle and weighs approximately 2 lbs. 4 ounces. The synthetic stock is a trim or thin design that is made of injection molded plastic. The barrel channel is perfectly inletted for that specific lite sporter barrel contour.

PROOF does not make a drop-in replacement barrel for the T3 lite. Their Sendero Light barrel finished at 22” weighs 2 lbs. 13 ounces, and has a muzzle diameter of .839”. The PROOF barrel will not drop-into the Tikka stock due to its larger circumference or OD. The factory Tikka T3L stock barrel channel will have to be opened up and there likely won’t be enough “meat” or plastic material to remove due to its narrow forend profile.

From a gunsmiths perspective, barrels can be a PIA to remove from the T3L due to the short shoulder and narrowing barrel contour. Your GS friend should have an action wrench designed to fit this action. Additionally a barrel block or vice with properly sized collets and rosin are needed to remove the barrel from action. If he’s never done a Tikka T3L before, he may experience problems and frustration.

Lastly, I’d be willing to bet the factory Tikka barrel will outshoot the PROOF custom barrel. So after spending $800-1000 and modifying the factory stock by opening up the barrel channel (if it can be done), your new rifle will be less accurate and weigh more than the original T3L.

You can order an aftermarket stock with appropriate inletted barrel channel and then go with a PROOF barrel; however you’ll be spending $1500+. I still doubt it will outshoot the factory version. Just my .02 cents having been in your shoes and seen real world results. If money is no object, and it’s what you WANT, then go for it. Feel free to PM me with any questions

Comment

I thought this was a bourbon thread at first [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  Several things that you need to consider or be aware of before committing to your project. The Tikka T3 lite has a 22” sporter barrel that measures .610” at the muzzle and weighs approximately 2 lbs. 4 ounces. The synthetic stock is a trim or thin design that is made of injection molded plastic. The barrel channel is perfectly inletted for that specific lite sporter barrel contour.

PROOF does not make a drop-in replacement barrel for the T3 lite. Their Sendero Light barrel finished at 22” weighs 2 lbs. 13 ounces, and has a muzzle diameter of .839”. The PROOF barrel will not drop-into the Tikka stock due to its larger circumference or OD. The factory Tikka T3L stock barrel channel will have to be opened up and there likely won’t be enough “meat” or plastic material to remove due to its narrow forend profile.

From a gunsmiths perspective, barrels can be a PIA to remove from the T3L due to the short shoulder and narrowing barrel contour. Your GS friend should have an action wrench designed to fit this action. Additionally a barrel block or vice with properly sized collets and rosin are needed to remove the barrel from action. If he’s never done a Tikka T3L before, he may experience problems and frustration.

Lastly, I’d be willing to bet the factory Tikka barrel will outshoot the PROOF custom barrel. So after spending $800-1000 and modifying the factory stock by opening up the barrel channel (if it can be done), your new rifle will be less accurate and weigh more than the original T3L.

You can order an aftermarket stock with appropriate inletted barrel channel and then go with a PROOF barrel; however you’ll be spending $1500+. I still doubt it will outshoot the factory version. Just my .02 cents having been in your shoes and seen real world results. If money is no object, and it’s what you WANT, then go for it. Feel free to PM me with any questions

Thank you for this. I had plans on replacing the stock along with the barrel.. but after reading this this made a lot of sense. I was purely going with the proof for a weight reduction purpose. After a little more in depth thinking the rifle already has a 18” barrel that was cut down by APR. It currently weighs less than the desired outcome... and doesn’t cost me a additional $800+ for barrel and $4-500 on the stock.

Comment

Bugholes

Comment

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
                      A proof barrel? Looks, cooling, weight

A Proof of either weight offered is going to be heavier than the factory Tikka T3 Lite factory barrel. As someone has already asked above has he figured in a new stock to this? Lastly accuracy won’t be much of an improvement if any at all.

Comment

Well looks like I’m late to the game. Blake beat me to it.

Comment

Simply put, re-barreling is a more involved process than just about anything you do to a rifle, and you gotta have a real good reason to do it, and it doesn't sound like you have one.

Comment

I did exactly what you're talking about except I went with a Carbon Six barrel. (took 4 months to receive barrel from time order was placed). I turned a T3 lite .22-250 into a "Heavy for Caliber" 7mm/08 with an 18" barrel to shoot suppressed.
                            Gunsmith couldn't get the original barrel off with a wrench so they ended up doing a relief cut to get it off.
                            I paid $681.53 for the Carbon Six and it shoots 150 grain ELD-x's from Copper Creek very well. (swapped out factory stock for a McMillan I bought used from a guy on here)

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

You’ve gone and done it now Blake!

Comment

Working...
                              X