What to do with leftover venison steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with leftover venison steak?

I fixed a couple of back strap steaks for the hubby and myself last week and had a whole steak left over. I tried to come up with something new and different to make with the leftover venison but, for whatever reason, the creative juices weren’t flowing, so I fell back to a tried-and-true family favorite: Venison Pot Pie.

While it’s clear I am no food stylist, my husband pronounced everything “d@mn good” and went back for seconds. Since we try hard not to eat anything made with white flour, I made the crust using almond meal. It tasted great but was kind of “mealy” and made the bowl I had prepared for myself look a little like gruel (ref: attached image). Nevertheless, with a few special ingredients (bacon grease, for one), it was delicious. Along with the pot pie, I made a quick salad of greens and tomatoes dressed with another family favorite, a robust and briny dressing that I came across on the internet; lemony and salty, this dressing bites back a little, which I love.

And finally, dessert was a “gourmet” rice crispie treat made special by the addition of buttery pretzels pieces and smooth dark chocolate.

Would love to know what others like to do with leftover game; something that doesn’t over-cook the game yielding a tough and chewy meat on the second-go-‘round.
    Attached Files

I would have to say you nailed it...bacon grease is my go to.
    I can eat back strap straight out of the ice box, so any meal created afterwards is a plus!

Comment

Edit: I noticed that you are avoiding white flour so an Asian market will have a rice noodle version or something similar. Or you can add the meat to complementary soups that you already enjoy. It will work the same way.

My go-to for leftover steak is to add it to ramen noodles. I don't mean the cheap 7 for $1 kind of ramen, I mean the good stuff that costs $7 for four packs. It is still quite cheap considering that hipsters in Austin pay $13 plus for a bowl of good ramen from a specialty place.

HEB has two kinds of the Shin brand, so get the more expensive kind that is labeled Black. Both of the Shin ramens are actually spicy so watch out for that.

The idea is to make the ramen according to the directions and then add your own freash or leftover veggies to it to round it out, or just some fresh lettuce (its good) and a hard boiled egg sliced in half.

Get it very hot on the stove as the noodles are almost done al dente, then add the thinly sliced steak right before serving.

The steak will be heated up by the hot soup, but not cooked much more than the original cooking. If you served it medium rare the first time, that is best.

The soup of the ramen will help keep the meat moist also, so really any soup will work the same way.

Comment

Really!! You actually had leftovers?? We've tried to make extra for lunch the next day, usually disappears inside of slice of bread around breakfast. Good idea though.

Comment

I never seem to have any left overs. Especially venison.

Comment

Fajitas or breakfast egg scramble.

Comment

Leftover soup...AKA...Mustgosoup.
              Directions: Mix whatever food containers are oldest in the fridge...balance the carbs, protein, fats, acidity, sodium and add chicken/beef/pork bouillion water/broth until everything is well submerged. I thin cut all the meat because I microwave the mix before broth submersion...large chunks seem to always get chewy when reheated unless done in oven.

Not quit the culinary experience from your table Lady. The leftover pot pie and spread looks good.

Comment

Cut it up into cubes and make carne guisada!

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                  Fajitas or breakfast egg scramble.
                  This...………….

Comment

Roasted salsa tacos would have been my choice for the left over steak .

Take some peppers and tomatoes and roast them over an open flame... for convenience I generally use the gas grill for the roasting... once roasted you can peal the skin of the peppers and tomatoes or not.. I usually don’t... place them in blender and pulse the blender on a few times (add salt in the blender to your liking)... leave a chunky consistency to the salsa... in a skillet type pan heat up some olive oil and sauté some garlic adding the salsa once the garlic is done... turn heat off and add sliced steak to warm it up and enjoy in your preferred tortillas... for sides guacamole or sliced avocado along with boracho beans would be my choice

If you want to get really fancy roast additional tomatoes and blend those until you get a liquid type consistency... add that to your salsa and place the salsa in a “molcajete” warm the molcajete in the oven... add your sliced steak once you remove the molcajete from the oven... you can add cooked chicken and shrimp along with the steak if desired...

Comment

Pot pie sounds great!

You kinda lost me @ "almond meal" but snagged me right back @ "bacon grease" !

(and fortunately I've never had to deal with the problem of a "leftover" venison steak) !
                      Last edited by 12ring; 09-06-2020, 05:40 AM. Reason: I'm phat.

Comment

I eat leftovers the next day, straight out of fridge on a sandwich

Comment

I snack on it straight out of the refrigerator until it’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So, what's wrong with white flour? When my wife chicken fries, there never seems to be left overs. She'll take back strap and carve it up into fajitas or cross cut it into bacon wrapped filet mignon steaks. All this talk is making me hungry. Gonna have to go lay some good ol' back strap/steaks out for dinner!

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                              Leftover soup...AKA...Mustgosoup.
                              Directions: Mix whatever food containers are oldest in the fridge...balance the carbs, protein, fats, acidity, sodium and add chicken/beef/pork bouillion water/broth until everything is well submerged. I thin cut all the meat because I microwave the mix before broth submersion...large chunks seem to always get chewy when reheated unless done in oven.

Not quit the culinary experience from your table Lady. The leftover pot pie and spread looks good.
                              LOL this sounds like something a college student would do.

Comment

Working...
                              X