Any duramax mechanics here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a issue with my 2008 Dmax . Got a water leak on the back side of my motor . It’s hard to see where it is coming from . I have not had a chance to really take a hard look at it . Any ideas what to look into first ?

Don't know much about D'max but I had an old Dodge that had a freeze plug on the back of the head that sprung a leak. Was only about 1" between it & the firewall so had to pull the head to replace it.

Comment

Freeze plug I believe

Comment

I’m not sure if it’s leaking fast enough to be a freeze plug . When it dries up I will do more looking around. I watched a few YouTube videos today . Looks like there is an inspection plate between the bell housing and tranny that is a common leak. It’s above the starter. So it’s possible it’s my problem .
        Last edited by Strummer; 01-10-2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

On the older Dmax, I believe they are designed so if the shaft seal leaks, the water comes out further back instead of going into the oil. You might check out this link:

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/...r-pump.709009/

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
            On the older Dmax, I believe they are designed so if the shaft seal leaks, the water comes out further back instead of going into the oil. You might check out this link:

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/...r-pump.709009/

Mine is leaking near the back side of the motor against the firewall .

Comment

I believe you will probably need a water pump replaced. I believe you have some pretty good gm mechanics at City Motors in downtown Edna. You might check with them.

Comment

There are also heater hoses with plastic connectors that will fail on the passenger side back firewall

Comment

Got it fixed . It was a coolant line to the turbo. A 10 dollar hose but a pain to change . Had to pull the egr egr cooler and the air intake to get to it .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                    Got it fixed . It was a coolant line to the turbo. A 10 dollar hose but a pain to change . Had to pull the egr egr cooler and the air intake to get to it .
                    The water pump replacement is a biotch....

Harmonic balancer has to come off......

1” ratchet with 4 foot extension and 32mm bolt.....it sucked...

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post

That don’t sound fun .

Comment

You ain’t joking about that! I just did mine a couple of days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          Yep that's it, had the same problem on my 05 a few years back. took to a shop and they told me they would have to drop the tranny and get up there and change some kind of seal. $2500. Took it home and saw a little water on top of the motor, got in there and and did what Stummer did and found a 5 inch hose broke. Freaking shop they knew it was that hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                            You ain’t joking about that! I just did mine a couple of days ago.
                            That engineer that put that bolt behind the HB either got fired...or promoted...

I dont know which....

It was an all day job for me

Comment

That engineer that put that bolt behind the HB either got fired...or promoted...

I dont know which....

It was an all day job for me

Around my job the more dumb stuff you do the higher up ya move .

Comment

Working...
                              X