No announcement yet.

Done with mechanical broadhead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always the broadhead....never the Indian. My arrows are 30+" long with the broadhead. If you got 1/2 penetration that's 15". If you did your part, that arrow and head got to vitals. Let's be honest....Thinking it didn't deploy after 15" of travel through body parts is pretty much a low percentage wild assed guess really.

Did you video it? Because what your eyes tell you about location and what the eye in the sky tells you are often quite different....speaking from experience here. That being said I switch to the Grim Reaper Micro Hybrid last year. Best of both worlds for me.
    Last edited by Smart; 10-14-2020, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Always the broadhead....never the Indian. My arrows are 30+" long with the broadhead. If you got 1/2 penetration that's 15". If you did your part, that arrow and head got to vitals. Let's be honest....Thinking it didn't deploy after 15" of travel through body parts is pretty much a low percentage wild assed guess really.

Did you video it? Because what your eyes tell you about location and what the eye in the sky tells you are often quite different....speaking from experience here. That being said I switch to the Grim Reaper Micro Hybrid last year. Best of both worlds for me.
      Just went and googled those. I may have to add those to my collection.

Comment

Done with mechanical broadhead!

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
        Just went and googled those. I may have to add those to my collection.

Pigs and deer hate them...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3932.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	24633483

Last edited by Smart; 10-14-2020, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
          I don't think there is any other issue going on other than I don't think it deployed. Shooting 70lbs, 20 yards!
          I know the pig is dead, I know half penetration will still kill. But it lacks in leaving a blood trail!
          I know exactly where I hit it. Same place I hit the one tonight. I've shot plenty of animals over the years, with different bows, arrows, heads etc. I just don't trust them anymore. The animals I have killed w a mech when it worked were great. Huge channel, entrance and exit. What else could it be, other than it didn't open? I'm shooting the same setup I've been using for years. Broadheads are the only things I've changed.
          You touched on everything except one of the most important questions.....what does your arrow weigh? Light arrow + mechanicals = poor penetration (not every time but a lot of the time). This is why your fixed BHs did a complete pass through if it was the same shot as you describe. Sharpness of the blades is a big factor as well.
          My .02

Comment

I have shot a whole lot of different heads over the years, and I've come to the conclusion that none of them are 100%, even on a good shot. Oh, and a pass through doesn't necessarily equal a great blood trail. IMHO, in order to get a good blood trail, which I think is underrated in terms of its importance, you have to hit the heart or a major blood vessel. I shot a spike two weekends ago with what I would consider a perfect shot placement, slightly quartering away through both lungs with a Black Hornet. There was very little blood trail despite the arrow passing completely through the animal like butter. I did find him about 150 yards away, but he was just 10 yards from a cedar break that I would never have been able to find him in. It is absolutely critical to watch the animal run as far as you can to get a good idea of where to look if you don't get a blood trail.

Comment

just stick with a well made fixed broadhead and avoid an additional worry with a mechanical. Have heard of too many in this site alone that have had questionable things happen by using them, and there have also been several have had quick kills from them but the results are more like 50:50.
              There are enough things to go wrong even with fixed blades.

Comment

Originally posted by tef View Post
                I don't think there is any other issue going on other than I don't think it deployed. Shooting 70lbs, 20 yards!
                I know the pig is dead, I know half penetration will still kill. But it lacks in leaving a blood trail!
                I know exactly where I hit it. Same place I hit the one tonight. I've shot plenty of animals over the years, with different bows, arrows, heads etc. I just don't trust them anymore. The animals I have killed w a mech when it worked were great. Huge channel, entrance and exit. What else could it be, other than it didn't open? I'm shooting the same setup I've been using for years. Broadheads are the only things I've changed.

If it didn't deploy then what stopped the penetration?

Comment

Seems to me like you would have more penetration if it didn't open. Less drag because the blades are closed, similar profile to a field point

Comment

Wouldn’t matter if it deploys or not with 15” of penetration. Most mechanicals still have .5-.75” of wings sticking out to grab and tear stuff. If it were through the lungs or heart the animal dies.

I do like those hybrids a lot for deer and pigs. I’ve never tried them because I have had so much success with the trypan tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope that one day, if my name and honor need to be defended, that my friends defend it with the same vigor and tenacity that some of yall defend mechanicals

Comment

Not sure how long you have bowhunted, but I can guarantee that there is no way you can 100% tell EXACTLY where that arrow hit. You have no idea where it hit or if the head deployed. No animal no BH, no way to say with 100% accuracy.

Like Smart said, always the broadhead's fault when an animal is lost! Yea Right!
                        Sorry you lost the pig, that sometimes is the results of shooting with the stick and string.

Comment

trypan is the bomb. Do not buy the Chinese knock offs. Make sure the collar is on correctly. Lethal

Comment

Pigs and deer hate them...
                            I have been shooting the GR razor cut 1-3/8” for years now but think I am gonna have to give the micro hybrids a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu_dude View Post
                              I hope that one day, if my name and honor need to be defended, that my friends defend it with the same vigor and tenacity that some of yall defend mechanicals
                              You just let us know when and where and we will give them hell.

Comment

Arrow weight is super important especially with a 2” expandable, or any expandable for that matter.

350g arrow at 70# IS NOT the same as a 550g arrow at 70#.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X