Grandparent Nicknames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandparent Nicknames

First off I want to say that I am a proud first time grandpa of a beautiful baby girl as of late last night. I hate that with all of these rona restrictions I can not be there to share the moment with my daughter, son in law and their brand new baby.

This brought up a debate between my wife and I. Several guys at work as well as several who personally know me here on TBH call me Pow Pow. It was something started by a coworker 5 or 6 years ago. I told my kids at that time that when they have kids I want to be called Pow Pow. My lovely bride Mrs. Pow Pow says that you don't get to pick your own grandparent name. Is this true? How did the grandparents on here get their nicknames?

I am not one for probably a loooong time but I told my daughter I am to be called "Paw Paw"...…..no debates, no discussion! I think is Pow Pow is more than appropriate sir...…...and congrats on the new addition to the family!!!

Comment

My cousins actually picked mine. They wanted me to carry on our grandfathers nickname “Big Daddy”. They all say I look and act just like him. I took it as a huge compliment and went with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 5 grandchildren I wanted to be called Paw Paw but mostly they call me Grandpa Scott. Let them choose it’s worth it.

Comment

Pick your own
          Papi
          Papa
          Grana
          Pop
          Nana
          Gpaw
          Grandpa

Comment

I got to choose but I could not use any that were already taken. I settled on Grand Pappy after the Beer for my Horses song.

Comment

They just call me POPS.

Comment

My favorite Pappy.

Comment

Congrats on the grandbaby! I think you can suggest a name, but the kids will likely call you what they want. A friend of ours kid couldn't talk very well for a while. He ended up calling his grandma "poo foo". It stuck and that's what they call her now.

Comment

My wife and I want to be called Bear and Honey when our time comes.

Comment

I’ve got a Memaw and Paw Paw and a Granny and Grandad. I’m the oldest grandchild so I guess I’m the one that started calling them that. No idea why or how though.

Comment

My parents and my in-laws both picked what names they wanted my daughter to call them. Probably more appropriate than what I was going to tell her to call them!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                          I am not one for probably a loooong time but I told my daughter I am to be called "Paw Paw"...…..no debates, no discussion! I think is Pow Pow is more than appropriate sir...…...and congrats on the new addition to the family!!!
                          It’s not your choice. You will be called whatever you grandchild/children want to call you and you will love it! I know because I’m a Pop Pop!

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                          I have 5 grandchildren I wanted to be called Paw Paw but mostly they call me Grandpa Scott. Let them choose it’s worth it.
                          Exactly!!

Comment

I'm going to be a first time GPaw in February. My youngest daughter (not the prego one) is insisting that I be called Papa Steve in honor of her late grandfather Papa Rip. Cool with me, but the little one will probably call me whatever she wants and I'm perfectly cool with that!

Comment

Nieces and nephews all call me Uncle Monkey. Granddaughters call me Grandpa. I too wanted to be Paw Paw but that didn't stick.

Comment

Working...
                              X