Getting my dog a dog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my dog a dog...

We got a Doberman puppy about 2 months ago and are really enjoying spending time with her. My fiancé wants to get another dog to keep the Doberman company while we’re at work, as well as give her someone to run around with.

Just trying to decide if we should get a second Doberman or try another breed...

Any input/experience?

Here’s a pic of our Kona on July 4th
    Attached Files

No opinion on breed. Just make sure you get a male. They will (usually) always get along. If you get another female, once they mature, they will always fight for who is the dominant of the two ladies.

Comment

2nd Doberman

Comment

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but wife says if i get another dog, i need to get a new address.. lol

Comment

I like the idea of having another dog. They will keep themselves entertained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would get it a chew toy or socialize it at doggie day care over getting another dog.

I recently got married and inherited my fiances bulldog. Thought my pointer would socialize and play with it (they are both about 8). Unless one of them has just P'd or one is getting attention, they pretty much ignore each other.

Comment

Cute pup. I say get another breed just to change it up, but something that can hold it’s own playing with a full sized dobie.

Comment

One dog is plenty.

Comment

I'm a one dog guy. Much easier to take with you. Half the vet and feed bills.

Nice Doberman. The German breeds are the best. If you get another one stick to the Germans. GSD, Rottweiler, Doberman. Hunting dog? GSP or Drahtar.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Dobies are great dogs. Mine is 13 this year and has been my buddy since college. My experience is that they tend to be one owner dogs and will have a certain amount of anxiety when that person is away regardless of if you have another dog in the mix. When I travel for work or go on trips its not uncommon for mine to not eat the first few days and mope around even when my wife is there. He used to move all my shoes to let me know he was mad. I think that a second dog will certainly give Kona a buddy but it is really going to be you they attach to.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_g View Post
                      We got a Doberman puppy about 2 months ago and are really enjoying spending time with her. My fiancé wants to get another dog to keep the Doberman company while we’re at work, as well as give her someone to run around with.

Just trying to decide if we should get a second Doberman or try another breed...

Any input/experience?

Here’s a pic of our Kona on July 4th
                      If you decide on another breed, I have some JR puppies due on the 25th.
                      However that being said, I would go with another Doberman.
                      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 07-17-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

For 30 years we’ve always had 2 dogs at a time. Always Springers. They are much happier together. My dogs have usually had an age gap of 5-8 years. Seems to keep the older one young and the younger one in line. Just replaced one with a new pup. Our male is 7 years old and the new pup is 15 weeks. The older male has been alone for about a year and is 100% better with another dog in the house. It’s pretty much his pup/therapy dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Exact opposite experience for me/us. My Euro working line GSD does not like other dogs at all. My wives 13 year old Border Collie would prefer that her 5 month old puppy would get lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                            Dobies are great dogs. Mine is 13 this year and has been my buddy since college. My experience is that they tend to be one owner dogs and will have a certain amount of anxiety when that person is away regardless of if you have another dog in the mix. When I travel for work or go on trips its not uncommon for mine to not eat the first few days and mope around even when my wife is there. He used to move all my shoes to let me know he was mad. I think that a second dog will certainly give Kona a buddy but it is really going to be you they attach to.
                            Same with my dude.

Comment

she's a beautiful girl! our male dobie is now 2 1/2, also a red. He's my wife's dog for sure and he also stresses out when she is gone for a day or 2.

ours is the best, most gentle big dog, and has been socialized with (mainly my daughters') other dogs from a young age. He loves all dogs thus far...we dog sit for another big male dobie sometimes, and they play well, and said dobie has 2 boston terriers as his house mates, whom we also sit along with him a lot of times. even a mini-weenie wasn't an issue at all with him.

then he loves when my daughters' dogs visit, 1 austraillian shepard who lived with us over a year until my daughter moved out, then other 2 grand-dogs are a male lab and female lab mix...never issues there either, although the female can be a butthead at times, so I'm not much help on how 2 females might get along.

and now we have a 10-month old beagle pup that we got around Christmas, and those 2 have a blast chasing each other around. beagle is a male too. never any issues there either. so while our dobie, Duke, can literally chew up and eat deer bones or any others for that matter, he is super gentle even with smaller dogs and has never hurt any of them by playing too rough.

i think our Duke really enjoys the company, but was okay when he was by himself. We aren't as good about taking him on walks as we should be, so having a playmate to run around with is good to help make sure he gets exercise.

the only time we have ever seen what you might consider "close to a fight" was sitting the other male dobie when he first got to our house once - he too is very fond of my wife, so those 2 can butt heads about who gets to sit closest to her, or try to get on her lap!

good luck with your decision - all dogs are different, but based on my limited experience i don't think you have to worry much about what breed your second dog is, your dobie will likely be fine with a wide range of sizes and types of dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X