No announcement yet.

Tips when buying a used 4 wheeler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im not as brand sensitive as some of the guys are....I have only owed 2, a Yamaha and a Suzuki, both bought used, have never had any trouble. I think any brand is fine if it has not been abused

Comment

Buy Honda, only manual shift, 4x4. Ranchers are really tough ones. Never ever buy one that has the wheels, gearboxes, or other non black painted parts stained to an “off color”. That always means it’s been in rice fields or water regularly. Not worth the chance. If it has faded plastic or rust, run.

Comment

Can’t add much to the thread except it has been my experience that Honda has always been the quietest running machines... a big plus when easing into your stand in stealth mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          These boys saying don't get a 4x4 lost their minds , and if it doesn't start with an " H " don't buy it
          Yup...X1000!

Honda, 4wd, EFI for sure. One with power steering is a HUGE plus IMO. Stay away from carbs or run ethanol free only.

Comment

Why do ya'll feel the need for 4WD ? serious question.

Comment

I have two in the classified for sale both are excellent bikes and both are 4x4 and very reasonable pricing. All bikes are good as long as they are taken care of and not abused. Good luck with your purchase get what you want and do regular maintenance on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                Why do ya'll feel the need for 4WD ? serious question.
                In west Tx when it rains that ground gets as slick and soupy as owl sh**! Ain’t no way a 2wd has the traction to get you out of some of the places I’ve seen. That said, I guess you could always lug around a chain and a winch and just stomp around in the mud if you want.

Comment

fair enough... I guess it all depends on where you plan to ride. For me in central texas hill country, I don't have that need.

Comment

Polaris engineers are freaking morons. I’ve had my 2010 Sportsman 850 for 7 years...it’s been ok, except for the faulty design. If I had to do it all over again, I’d go Honda or Yamaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      The only problem I have with IRS is when you load them down they squat in the center losing ground clearance. if it were me I would stick with the Straight Shaft

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      Next 4 wheeler I buy will be straight or Solid rear axle. Because I move trailers and my boat. My IRS 500cc squats way to much I’ve installed a cross bar between making it more solid. But if you don’t plan on a load or carrying a deer on the back go with Independent Rear Suspension. It is a Cadillac ride just not stiff enough for a load.

Also NO snorkel, avoid ALL muding 4 wheelers Talk to them see you if they brag about the mud they go through pull the seat check to see how dirty or clean it is pull cover off fuse box see if it’s filled with dirt or corroded or melted as I’ve seen some that’s been abused in mud and water. Check any electrical fittings/plugs that are easily checked and check for same. Most people don’t think to clean plugs or fittings before selling an abused 4 wheeler., and I’d also avoid any 4 wheeler they say has a rebuilt engine or rebuilt or replaced rear end or axles it just instantly raises a red flag.

Good luck !!!
                      Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 08-17-2019, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                        fair enough... I guess it all depends on where you plan to ride. For me in central texas hill country, I don't have that need.
                        Well it obviously depends on what you are asking the machine to do. Tires also make a huge difference. I have rode 2wds with good tires that can put some 4wds to shame. A good set of super swampers on a 2wd will take you places a 4wd with slicks on it won’t.
                        That said, I’ll take those slicks on pavement. Concrete driveways take a toll on mud tires.
                        To me, having 4wd is like the conceal carry and insurance debate. Better to have it and not need it than vice-versa.

Comment

If you can find an older model Kawasaki Bayou that’s been taken care of and good shape, I’d jump on it. I’ve got a 2004 model that’s been the best 4 wheeler I’ve owned. For a 2 wheel drive they are great machines.

Comment

I like having 4wd, but I don't think it is a must have. I seldom put mine in 4wd and probably 75% I have, I did not actually need to. I think it more depends on where u use it. My first was not 4wd and it was fine, my second is because we had some hills that you could not get up wo a 4wd.....where I hunt now I def do not need it

Comment

I'd probably steer clear of Polaris if buying used. (esp. if it has a bunch of hours). The drive belts and pulleys can be a problem if you don't know the history. Belt dust, one-way bearing, brass pulley bushings, etc can be a problem if they are check and taken care of. I say this after having a 500HO since 2003 (15yrs) and putting it to work/many hours. It was great machine!! Have since sold it and gotten a CanAm Defender.

You already got the snorkel mudding warning. Look for mud where it is hard to clean off, up under the plastics up towards the headlight pod, under the seat, top of motor, etc. Also look for rust, around the a-arms, shocks, skid plate, etc. A little surface rust from chipped paint is one thing, but if it has been to the beach/salt, that cancer (rust) cannot be stopped.

Ride it, and get it good and warm. Then let it idle a while you talk shop. Shut it off and check for oil at the heads, drips from the oil plug, or under the machine. All of this can be disguised with a power washing, so spend time to let it leak if it does.

Sounds like you need a Honda (get 4x4) but not the full time one. Didn't they have one that is full time 4x4? Can be harder to turn in tight spots.
                              Last edited by Philip-TX; 08-18-2019, 07:28 AM. Reason: kant tipe

Comment

Where do you live Jerp ? I’m south of Houston and might have a deal for ya !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X