No announcement yet.

Shoulder pain. Dr Appt Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck! I had rotator cuff surgery 4 wks ago today and it hurts more right now than any time since. The dr said, "give it time". It's killing me - no sleep - constant pain in the shoulder (front center) and down the arm to the elbow. Ugh. Pray you have better luck than me!

Comment

Originally posted by tadmaryperry View Post
      Good luck! I had rotator cuff surgery 4 wks ago today and it hurts more right now than any time since. The dr said, "give it time". It's killing me - no sleep - constant pain in the shoulder (front center) and down the arm to the elbow. Ugh. Pray you have better luck than me!
      I had a ppint at around 4 weeks post-op where things were significantly worse just as you are saying. Turns out i was having muscle spasms in my upper back/scapula/back of shoulder area... i started having my physical therapist stretch and work that area more and it helped immensely.

Comment

ah thx! I'll try that (anything) to help with this. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by tadmaryperry View Post
          ah thx! I'll try that (anything) to help with this. Thank you!
          If you're okayed to do so by doc or PT, might try getting someone to do some light massage with a tennis ball...

Comment

I had RC and labrum surgery (with biceps reattachment) on 12/23/16. Fun Christmas.

Go to PT. I heard recovery times ranging from 6 to 18 months. I played golf the first week of May 2017 with slightly limited range of motion. By the end of May I was good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
              CTOM good luck to you. The sins of our youth seem to be catching up to all of us lately.

Tryton, if your doctor told you sports injuries caused RA you need to go find another doctor! RA is an autoimmune disorder.
              That's just me trying to regurgitate what a DR told me a year ago. I'm not good at it. I looked at it again and think it is Osteoarthritis.

Comment

Well, good and bad... Dr said it could possibly be torn from 10 to 12, which a "SLAP" tear is from 10 to 2 (if you looked at your shoulder joint as the face of a clock). They did X-rays and the doctor seemed a tad bit stumped given what I was telling him and what he was feeling. He said it may also be the AC joint.

They performed an ultrasound on my shoulder and decided the best action to take was a steroid injection, which we went ahead and did. I felt some immediate relief, but not 100%. He said if it still hurts after 3 weeks we may move forward with an MRI. He told me to shoot him an email with questions.

Going to keep waiting and take it easier in the weight room. Thanks for all the advice and discussion!

Comment

Been a few weeks and pain has about 90% subsided. Able to work out with minimal pain. Really happy and will always endorse Texas Metroplex Institute.

Comment

A few weeks after posting the last post, pain was back 100% in full force. MRI was done. Results are 30% tear of the supraspinatus and a 20% tear of something else I can't read, because ya know...doctors and such. I do know the rotator cuff is made of 4 tendons. So sounds half of them are partially torn.

We discussed options today... one of which was surgery. What I decided on was another injection of steroids. We're hoping that the deep, ultrasound-guided injection last time along with this round that closer to the skin might combine to really help with pain management. Right now it just feels like I pitched about 14 innings a day ago. Hopefully that pain works its way out.

Surgery would be 5-7 days in a sling, 3 weeks able to lift and have full range of motion, 6 weeks 100% back to normal. That is IF the surgery goes as expected. Once they're in my shoulder, they could find holes in my rotator cuff that the MRI didn't pick up. It was explained to me they could be between the "pictures" the MRI machine takes every 3mm. This would result in me in a sling 4-6 weeks, fully back to normal after 6 months. (That crossbow with a hunting license sure is looking good now!)

I asked if this was because I was a pitcher for so long - he said yes. He said "all former athletes that see me for soreness in their 30s have damage like you, no matter what I'm seeing them for. It could be knees, ankles, elbows, shoulders..." Basically the pain is hidden because you're working out every single day. Your body is stronger, it's more flexible, more resilient, etc. Now that I'm not doing what I was doing early in my life, the pain and tears aren't masked anymore.

So that's where I'm at. We'll see what ends up happening.

Comment

I had one small tear and had an injection that did nothing, later I went to a different Doc, his injection lit my butt up but it worked! Now 3 years later I need to see him again

Comment

The injection may or may not work for awhile. In the end you will need surgery to fix the problem permanently. Best of luck to you. Ive been through 3 shoulder surgeries...no fun and cost me one bow season.

Comment

Before my shoulder surgery my doc told me I had some bone spurs and a little arthritis he needed to clean up and I would be throwing a baseball in 4 weeks. Three hours of surgery later when I woke up he said they had to do more work and it would be a couple months in sling and 6 months to a year before I could throw. I'm old so I only throw when I pitch to my son in our batting cage. It was the throwing motion I had trouble with. I could pull back my bow and hit 3/4 golf shots after a few months though.

Comment

Range of motion without pain is definitely better. The last injection lasted 3 weeks. Hoping we can extend that. Wife having a kid in November so need my arm. Gotta help with the kid. Not to mention bow season.

Comment

Asking for your prayers. I need a sign as to what to do. Kid due in November. Can't have surgery for 3 weeks. If doc sees I have no holes in rotator cuff and it's a clean up, out 6 weeks. That puts me out of commission until November 22. Kid due November 23.

If there is a hole, in a sling 6 weeks, not 100% until 6 months from now.

Comment

Ended up changing insurance starting January 1 and my surgeon is out of network, so I had the decision made for me. Going under the knife Wednesday. Same scenario above is still in effect... I am hopeful to go on a hunt the last weekend of buck season, January 3 thru 5. Will have a buddy helping me, hopefully. I should be out of a sling Christmas day. We will see what happens. Thx for continued prayers.

Comment

Working...
                                X