Stacking Teleconverters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stacking Teleconverters

I'll be honest, I never knew this was a thing or, even possible. But, with my recent purchase and some time spent with Google I soon discovered it was possible.

Yesterday, I left work a bit early to conduct an extremely unscientific test.

Body: Canon 5D MKIII
    Lens: 300mm F/4 L IS
    Tripod: Gitzo Mountaineer 1
    Teleconverter: 1.4X II and 2X II

It was a little windy so I hung my camera bag from the tripod center column and set the shutter to a 10 sec. timer.

All shots were in AP, f/8, 100 ISO, AWB, IS turned off. I did not do anything to the photos in PP. These are straight from the camera.

840mm

840mm by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Next, I removed the 1.4x and shot at 600mm

600mm Teleconverter Stack Testing by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Last shot is at 300mm without any teleconverter

300mm Teleconverter Stack Testing - No teleconverter by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

For reference, this is the location/distance of each photo.
    Attached Files

This is pretty cool! Pictures seem sharp as well. I have heard that you lose clarity when you add teleconverters but it seems fine here. You can reach out and get some good pics now! Tuned in to see some more pictures you take with them on.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
      This is pretty cool! Pictures seem sharp as well. I have heard that you lose clarity when you add teleconverters but it seems fine here. You can reach out and get some good pics now! Tuned in to see some more pictures you take with them on.

There is a noticeable drop off with the 1.4 and 2x (1st pic) but, I think the 2x is definitely useable with the right light and on a tripod.

If anyone wants copies of the raw files to get a closer look, send me your Email address, I’ll be happy to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty cool.

Comment

Please check your EXIF on that 840mm shot. I don't think f/8 is actually possible with an f/4 lens + 2.0x + 1.4x. An f/4 + 2.0x is already f/8 and there should be some additional stop loss adding the 1.4x. Thinking somewhere around f/11.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
            Please check your EXIF on that 840mm shot. I don't think f/8 is actually possible with an f/4 lens + 2.0x + 1.4x. An f/4 + 2.0x is already f/8 and there should be some additional stop loss adding the 1.4x. Thinking somewhere around f/11.
            I thought so too. But, the camera did not register the 1.4x in my EXIF and it still shows it being at 600mm and f/8. I remember checking and it showing f/8 too. If you click on the photo you'll see the data on Flickr.

Out of curiosity though, I'll put it together and confirm.

Comment

Working...
            X