Axis help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis help...

So I recently landed on a lease where Axis are "around" and because of sheep on the place, the land owner doesn't want the hunters to use Alfalfa. Does anyone have any experience with another feed, targeting axis, that works well other than corn? Thanks fellers,

Protein and Protein Blocks

Comment

Protein....build a feed pen, then you can feed what you want.

Comment

Some mineral licks can't hurt. Also ^^^build a pen.

Comment

A pen with alfalfa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would build a pen if the landowner will agree to it. Then feed alfalfa. Congrats on finding a place with Axis. I'd love to get on a lease where I could hunt them.

Comment

A pin is a requirement, just didn't know if there was an "as-good" feed supplement other than the magic alfalfa.

Mineral licks is a good idea!

Comment

corn & salt blocks, axis will smoke a salt block year round.

Comment

They love protein

Comment

I'll dig a little deeper.....protein recommendations?....

I'm new to hill country hunting...I'm used to the swamp in Brazoria Co.!!

Comment

If you have year round access, get out there. They are rutting right now, no feed needed. They should be vocal as well.

Comment

I think they like alfalfa better than anything. It'll take some time to educate them to protein, if they haven't been exposed to it. Build a pen and put both in there.

I wish someone would come out with some calls or sounds that could be run on an e-caller during the rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                          I think they like alfalfa better than anything. It'll take some time to educate them to protein, if they haven't been exposed to it. Build a pen and put both in there.

I wish someone would come out with some calls or sounds that could be run on an e-caller during the rut.
                          I was thinking the same thing the last time I was at my lease. They were bellowing all around me, and I had no way to answer back. You can use a cow elk call to sound like an axis doe, but an elk bugle doesn't sound like an axis buck bellowing.

We put alfalfa bales in our feed pens, and they have gone untouched even though we regularly have axis walking by the pens. There is so much green stuff to eat everywhere, they aren't interested in jumping into the feed pens I guess.

Comment

Once they figure out what a protein feeder is, they will empty a small one pretty quick. Plus, they will stay on it at night, so you wont see them during the day as much.
                            I ended up going to a large capacity timed protein feeder. I'm using it as an attractant, so I only feed in the morning, and evening. I've had good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                              Once they figure out what a protein feeder is, they will empty a small one pretty quick. Plus, they will stay on it at night, so you wont see them during the day as much.
                              I ended up going to a large capacity timed protein feeder. I'm using it as an attractant, so I only feed in the morning, and evening. I've had good luck with it.
                              That's what I was thinking. They just haven't taken to my timed ones yet, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X