Plumbing Question: Shower P-Trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
    Get someone (plumber with a camera to run through the drain. They will be able to tell you what is there. You will need to know this whether you bust out the concrete or not.
    This, you could possibly rent a cam and do it yourself. Cheap, and you'll know for sure.
    Trap can be anywhere in front of the vent.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      This, you could possibly rent a cam and do it yourself. Cheap, and you'll know for sure.
      Trap can be anywhere in front of the vent.
      Rental is $165. Hoping a plumber will do it for less than that.

Comment

The trap doesn’t have to be straight down from where it’s stubbed up it might be offset . But to know for sure go rent a camera and look for your self .

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
          ****! You can go buy a brand new Ryobi IC for $100. $165 is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            ****! You can go buy a brand new Ryobi IC for $100. $165 is ridiculous.
            The camera 'cord' is only 3' on that. I'll need one @ least 10' to be sure.

Comment

The bad thing is if you don't use that shower regularly or run some water in it once a week. The water in the p trap will evaporate and cause it to smell. The camera will tell you what you need to know. Me being cheap I'd probably just put a stopper in the drain until I needed to use the shower..

You can probably rent the saw and hammer drill to bust the concrete from home depot. Parts for the trap and a new sack of cement should be less than 20 bucks.. total you could probably fix it yourself for 150 ..
              Last edited by jds247; 07-06-2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                Between service call and camera labor...itll run around the same amount.

If youve a cleanout between the tank and shower...drop a smoke bomb, cap it and see what comes out or not inside the shower.

Alternatively to busting concrete would be to make your pre tank cleanout a vent by changing the cleanout top...like Bisch said...not really an issue unless youre getting gassed.

Good luck LFD.

Byron

Comment

You are not going to get a plumber out there for less than $165 to come camera a line.

Comment

The smoke bomb sounds like a great idea! Just make sure to put some water down the shower drain first to make sure the trap is closed off (if there is one).

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Try one of these.
                      I have one like it and it has held up pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                      X