This time of year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This time of year

Shooting gets a little more challenging because of the heat. Fortunately I've hit that point where I can stay relatively able to stay on target at hunting ranges with just a few shots every few days. Which has been a blessing this year with the physical challenges increasing years and unfortunate incidents have sent my way.
    However regardless of the heat I still like to shoot a few arrows in the morning and or evening a few times a week. Always on my backyard lane but never utilizing the membership I paid for at the range.
    How many of you go to shops and pay to shoot on lanes inside with air conditioning like at CCR?
    How many just take time off and get back in shape a few weeks before the archery opener?

Gary

I try to shoot daily, but this summer has been a little different. I've been trying to lift heavy to gain some muscle, and dialed back my shooting sessions recently. I'm also trying to practice more at long distances which means no indoor ranges for me.

I am trying to make it out for 3D twice a week, and just shoot a few shots in the morning the rest of the days. I figure I might as well just learn to deal with the heat. The first few days of bow season aren't any cooler than August most years.

Comment

Before I moved, I used to hang out at a shop, and shoot a couple hours a day, usually 4-5 days a week. Then, on most weekends I’d go to a 3D shoot somewhere.

Now, there is no shop anywhere close, and I’m in huge remodel job at our new-to-us house, so I’m lucky if I get 30 minutes in 3 times a week. I do still go to all the 3D shoots I can, but they are all a lot farther drive also.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm 15 minutes from Cowtown but after a day of working in the heat I generally don't want to go to the range. I may need to change that.

Gary

Comment

I shoot at home every day . The only shop close has a 20 yard range . I can get out to 100 at home.

Comment

I slow down during the summer. It is pretty easy to get in about fifty shots before the sun gets too bright in the morning and another hundred or so in the afternoon when the sun gets low in the west and I have a nice shade from the barn. I can't see to shoot when the sun is overhead. Old eyes and background glare take all the fun out of it. The heat doesn't really bother me. I prefer it to the winter when my hands get cold and stiff.

Comment

I'm just suffering through the heat and shooting. I haven't had as much time though. I stay unbelievably busy between work and running an election campaign, but I'm still going elk hunting in a few months so I make sure to get in at least 12-15 arrows a day.

Comment

"This time of year" :

"SUX!"

You could have stopped, and left it right there, and had it well covered. LOL

Rick

Comment

I'd it weren't for all day in it working it wouldn't be an issue but most days by 6pm I'm worn out and dehydrated. Getting older and fatter doesn't help.
                  However like Ryan I try to at least get in a few arrows a day.
                  Right now I'm reflecting a few as well to follow up on my other question.

Gary

Comment

It hasn't really even got HOT yet. We still have that to look forward to. I'm talking triple digits. I try to shoot as much as I can but that is now probably 4 or 5 times a week. Am trying to work up in poundage and the heat does not help. I rarely if ever shoot indoors. I can shoot as far as I want in my back yard and standing under the back porch with a ceiling fan really helps.

Comment

I have a shady place to shoot in the yard but this time of year my mind gets on other things/projects and I just don't get around to shooting regularly like I should. I really need to force myself to shoot at least a few days a week so my form does not deteriorate too bad.

Comment

Now with a toddler and an infant my time to myself is dwindling. What i have been doing lately is when everyone is asleep, i turn on my patio lights and shoot arrows 8-10 yards out. Helps keep muscles and form somewhat in check. This is usually around 930 or 10 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                          It hasn't really even got HOT yet. We still have that to look forward to. I'm talking triple digits. I try to shoot as much as I can but that is now probably 4 or 5 times a week. Am trying to work up in poundage and the heat does not help. I rarely if ever shoot indoors. I can shoot as far as I want in my back yard and standing under the back porch with a ceiling fan really helps.
                          Chuck, we've had triple digits here on three separate days now.
                          Two of them back to back at 103 degrees, and one day of 101.

Still not as much as the last few summers, but lots of high in the 90's, and high humidity.

I hate summer. LOL

Rick

Comment

With all the rain, the dry creek bed running across the back of our place hasn’t been dry since, like, February. The mosquito population is brutal, and shooting in the yard is miserable. I’ve shot a few times at our local shop, and the AC is a nice change. We aren’t far from the BCAC range, but even there, the mosquitos can carry you away sometimes. I can almost handle the heat, but the mosquitoes, not so much, lol

Comment

Having quadrouple bypass March 8th I was finally able to get my lighter longbow to full (shakey) draw about the middle of June. I try to shoot several times a week since then and can now get about 30-36 arrows down range before my form starts caving. I started a new job last saturday that's kicking my butt stamina wise but hopefully will help with regaining strength. My goal is to get back to my 52 lb. longbow so will try to get back on my shooting 3 to 4 times a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X